Pvt. Lewis

Change of Realistic Gun Sounds

We recently let the devs know that the gun sounds were perfect and spot on. But it seems that recently they have been replaced. I thought that recent sounds were "off" a bit, and the monthly update confirmed that the gun sounds were redone. I am requesting that possibly they and Anders might consider going to the original first person sounds of the m4, ak, and rpm, as I have never heard gun sounds in video games as real as those. I was afraid of them altering the gun sounds from that perfection. :(

I think it's the opposite, weapon sounds of the first releases were not really that realistic, but it's getting a lot better.

/thread

If it was noted in monthly update it means they may have been changed even 1st of May so all the cool sounds you were hearing in recent videos were probably updated ones. But we never know with what magic anders may come up in the next build  ;)

Sounds of gun fire will get overhauls and improvements along the whole dev time now. When the team agrees including our 2 military advicers that they sounds great I'll stick with them. It's as simple as that. I can't listen to one or two in the commity, especially with the feedback like "the previous ones were much better". :) 
Keep calm guys. I will not let you down! ;)

The fire system will also change drastically in the future. A total different system, than that we have atm.

Sounds of gun fire will get overhauls and improvements along the whole dev time now. When the team agrees including our 2 military advicers that they sounds great I'll stick with them. It's as simple as that. I can't listen to one or two in the commity, especially with the feedback like "the previous ones were much better". :) 

Keep calm guys. I will not let you down! ;)

The fire system will also change drastically in the future. A total different system, than that we have atm.

Amen!

I hope you guys can go into a bit more details soon about how you are planning to make the fire system different/improved.

Mostly refering for dealing with echoes/reflections attached to fire sounds. Also talking about auto fire system. Will work with loop sounds similar to Payday2 and BF3. The system we have atm are dependent on your FPS wich will cause lag in the sounds and hickups. That's gonna change. 
The reflections will kick in depending on where you are in the maps:
Indoor (with different sizes)
Open fields
Valley
Urban
Forests

So weapon sounds will sounds very different depending on where you are firing.

Mostly refering for dealing with echoes/reflections attached to fire sounds. Also talking about auto fire system. Will work with loop sounds similar to Payday2 and BF3. The system we have atm are dependent on your FPS wich will cause lag in the sounds and hickups. That's gonna change. 

Open fields

Valley

Urban

Forests

meme_happy_010_by_sofidesiings-d4yfc0r.p

Anders.. You don't know how happy you just made me. Will you marry me?

I have so much faith in you guys that everything you just said will be fucking amazing.

I didn't even know we had the legend behind 'Sound of Anders' for ArmA on-board :)

I didn't even know we had the legend behind 'Sound of Anders' for ArmA on-board :)

He did all the sounds of PR:BF2, too, he's a very talented guy ;)

He did all the sounds of PR:BF2, too, he's a very talented guy ;)

You learn something new every day I suppose :) Granted I didn't play as much PR as I would've liked to, so I didn't know much about the development team. 

Open fields

Valley

Urban

Forests

south-park-i-just-came-500x375_medium.jp

We need to know what you think of the standards of realistic gunshot

my standards that featured in game is ARMA 3 vanila (not really good but) and JSRS sounds addon (the great one)

https://youtu.be/vkNwINf4m0s

the beauty of JSRS is not as much the original sounds the guns make, (although the MX series of rifles was tremendously improved from their horrible vanilla sounds), but moreso how the sound interacts with the area. distant gunfire sounds realistic. the reverberation of gunfire against nearby solid structures and landmarks.

if SQUAD got their sound up to that level,  (and improved upon it) it would be mind blowing.

Yeeeesssss!

Yup, sounds will continue to be modified as Anders gets more and more functionality in the engine. A lot of work left to be done and some of it is waiting on the Epic team to add that functionality. They recently hired an audio engineer to start programming stuff, so hopefully 4.8+ will net Anders some new tools.

Plus, we have very limited programmer resources at the moment, so Anders is waiting on some of our guys to get freed up/hire more people.

I think sound is what will make this game great very intense (among other things).

It will certainly have a large impact, I'm a huge sound guy, I fight for Anders all the time.

I know the sounds from JSRS in arma 3 are not realistic, but I like how they sound because they sound scary and powerfully. I hope we can get it too

BTW