Looking good man, keep going!

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you think you've spent so far on something like this?

17 hours ago, MauserGDog said:

Looking good man, keep going!

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you think you've spent so far on something like this?

Thanks, well i do atleast 6-10 hours each weekday lol, reason im doing so much is cause.....

1st: im slow only started on the 27th of May (first time ever doing anything like this) so i have atleast 50 hours into this already.

2nd: going away for a month in under 2 weeks so trying to get as much done, without rushing and making it shit..

3rd: its addictive!

---

In these new screenshots it shows the enemy main spawn (i am also looking at changing the time setting to morningISH with some added fog) but for now this shows the lunch/arvo time setting.

AND! a screenshot showing the new map layout and boarder.

lYCckbw.png

GIrSJIX.png

OtLzdMd.png

ZhZLXSt.png

H5sL14M.png

6dnmVts.png

5rnc9eF.jpg

1 hour ago, IrOnTaXi said:

man you are really going to hate me when we start talking optimization... hehe

lol, if thats in reference to all the foliage thats why im going to be adding the fog to try and limit the view distance / shadow (or so i think)?

OR

am i just stuffed cause i have way to much shit? haha cause im using logar as a reference with the amount of objects and im at 2400 actors were logar is like 3400 or something

---

Morning Fog setting (before and after)

H5sL14M.png

HcUhgzF.png

Another update: Hopefully you can understand the layout below matching it to the over head view.

US main

MCiO04X.png

US first cap

Rtg0qIy.png

US 2nd cap

5ag9wRZ.png

Random compound over looking US 2nd cap

6fEJtyv.png

Random compounds

USy2sqB.png

US 3rd cap

IUMmrYB.png

US side to centre cap from their spawn side (main town)

q0QACjY.png

A cleaner birds eye view

DfxmsvE.png

Enemy Main

7DZL9kK.png

Enemies 1st cap

4qcwc6J.png

A few compounds infront of the Enemies 2nd cap

YV8fq4Q.png

Enemies 2nd cap

Tl86UZW.png

Random compounds between 2nd and 3rd cap on enemies side

jqPuX17.png

Enemies 3rd cap

EkVpJK9.png

Enemy side to centre cap from their spawn side (main town)

CU0aQvg.png

Very nice indeed.

I bet it's gonna go back to the drawing board when the SDK is fully released. More content and stuff.

I think one of the most performance heavy problems with your map is going to be the terrain layout. basicly gives no chance for occlusion culling which in turn is gonna kill low-spec computers when overlooking the valley :) Also, some of your rockpiles might be too heavy drawcall wise, like this one: 6dnmVts.png

Other than that, i really like this map, and it shows great potential! :D 

Wow, this would make a great sniping and fob map. I could already see Black Hawk Helicopters landing on the mountains and building Fob's up there like Operation Archer or Jabal Al-Burj.

I don't know if you know this already, but fog alone won't help with performance. You also need to set a max object render distance that is just further than the fog for it to have any effect. I'm not sure if you can do that in the sdk, but it's something to keep in mind

Your map looks good, congrats. 

I am only worried about gameplay. Are you calculating distances between positions and possible combat scenarios? For example a squad decided to hold a farm, does it favor the defender or attacker?  

OtLzdMd.png 

That rock would provide great cover for players, you can put as many as them instead of trees if your concern is realism.

4 hours ago, WarEagle751 said:

Wow, this would make a great sniping and fob map. I could already see Black Hawk Helicopters landing on the mountains and building Fob's up there like Operation Archer or Jabal Al-Burj.

Infantry only and or only humvees / pickups and trucks.

1 hour ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

There needs to be like 2000 rivers running through that place for trees to grow like that.

>Green Afghan map. What camo will the soldiers have...?

Fictional,dont need rivers to have trees ;) 

34 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

I don't know if you know this already, but fog alone won't help with performance. You also need to set a max object render distance that is just further than the fog for it to have any effect. I'm not sure if you can do that in the sdk, but it's something to keep in mind

Sweet, yeh im doing abit of culling atm with trees and grass and editing the terrain abit. Im hoping to get a nice setting with the fog so it will block out views from say 800metres away so i can edit my map to not render those objects beyond that distance.

12 minutes ago, lastpuritan said:

Your map looks good, congrats. 

I am only worried about gameplay. Are you calculating distances between positions and possible combat scenarios? For example a squad decided to hold a farm, does it favor the defender or attacker?  

OtLzdMd.png 

That rock would provide great cover for players, you can put as many as them instead of trees if your concern is realism.

The idea i have my map is 'Grind' and 'Unfair Wafare' i want it to be a hard map to play, once you start loosing flags its just going to get harder for you to push up.

When your losing youll be like 'fuck this map' but when your winning youll be like 'shit i love this!!'

Kinda like alot of peoples experience with korengal valley lol, i want it to be a hard map to play but fun.

It doesnt favor either team its a mixture of both.

1 hour ago, ChanceBrahh said:

When your losing youll be like 'fuck this map' but when your winning youll be like 'shit i love this!!'

Kinda like alot of peoples experience with korengal valley lol, i want it to be a hard map to play but fun.

One thing to bear in mind with that philosophy, humans tend to dwell on negative experiences while easily forgetting specific good instances. Personally at least, if I have a handful of F-this moments without an appropriate amount of "wow best round ever", I just stop playing when those maps come on. Now if you manage to make it f-this balanced (both sides can have great and terrible games), you'll not only be amazing but will potentially unlock an entirely new category of mapping "Frustrating but fun". Korengal can't be used as an example, because it is, for the average player (who doesn't enjoy getting whipped), fun for the taliban, hard/unfun for the US team - unless the taliban are terrible adn the US team stacked, in which case it is just crappy all around IMO

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

One thing to bear in mind with that philosophy, humans tend to dwell on negative experiences while easily forgetting specific good instances. Personally at least, if I have a handful of F-this moments without an appropriate amount of "wow best round ever", I just stop playing when those maps come on. Now if you manage to make it f-this balanced (both sides can have great and terrible games), you'll not only be amazing but will potentially unlock an entirely new category of mapping "Frustrating but fun". Korengal can't be used as an example, because it is, for the average player (who doesn't enjoy getting whipped), fun for the taliban, hard/unfun for the US team - unless the taliban are terrible adn the US team stacked, in which case it is just crappy all around IMO

This might not make sense but hopefully....

When i say uneven warfare i mean like, the US have scopes and have the 3rd cap on a low ridge and enemy has no scopes and is on a high ridge, so while the US have a distance advantage the enemy has the height advantage.

If US lose their 2nd flag they have to push up the hill back to it while the Enemy fights down to cap US 1st so its a grind (you may have enemy push from enemy 3rd cap or even centre at this point) so you have to always make sure someone is defending... So many flanks!)

and its the same for enemy 3rd to enemy 2nd cap.

Youll be punished in a sense for losing that flag not only by tickets but kinda by terrain, there are ways to over come this but its not just run straight to the cap, you need to use your cover and shit to push forward you need to earn it.

If something isnt a challenge the fun of it dies off very quickly and thats why i hope some people have a tough time (SOMETIMES) but yeh cant please everyone

A lot of people don't really like challenges in games. They quit and find something easier. This map may be better off for clan games where they switch sides for a second game.

25 minutes ago, Odd_fella said:

A lot of people don't really like challenges in games. They quit and find something easier. This map may be better off for clan games where they switch sides for a second game.

I think that it should be played first before anyone decides if it's too hard for them. 

Squad is a challenging game based on team work, if I can iron out kinks and get good performance I'll definitely look at getting this map on a server when I'm able to.

57 minutes ago, ChanceBrahh said:

I think that it should be played first before anyone decides if it's too hard for them. 

Squad is a challenging game based on team work, if I can iron out kinks and get good performance I'll definitely look at getting this map on a server when I'm able to.

Definitely. These modded maps will always need refining and reworking based on feedback. 

A question, when you create the compounds do you use the spline tools for the wall or are they placed by hand?

15 minutes ago, Quacken said:

A question, when you create the compounds do you use the spline tools for the wall or are they placed by hand?

Search compounds in content, I used those but for poppie walls I used spline tool