Sign in to follow this  
edgeofecho

New weapon addition to the game?

I haven't seen anyone talking about this yet so i guess i'll make a post about it

V6 is a pretty good update, although i didn't notice any significant difference in my game, i do appreciate the devs working hard.

However, I do have a question for the devs or people that know about game design

How long does it take to make a create a weapon and add it to the game??

I have seen textured models of PPSH-41 and some other un-textured ones like the shotgun and G3 and the new M110, 

If the model is made, how long does it take for us to actually get to play around with it?? Like adding the reload animation and other things...

I know this is probably not on the priority list for the devs but if the current bullet ballistics exists, we should be seeing some new addition of weapons soon right??

(assuming that ballistics of PPSH-41 is not much more different than 9mm pistol rounds, and 7.62x54r and 7.62 nato round isn't all that much different in performance??)

Core systems come first. Once the modelling is done, the rest of the work isn't too hard, but they got sidetracked (or should I say maintracked) by building up the important game systems. Animations are also a time-heavy process.

The model and textures are done but now it needs to be animated, those animations need to be implemented and then all of the values for the weapon need to be set and tested (not necessarily in that order). If everyone involved in those processes were focused on getting the weapon in game it could be done in a day or two if it were rushed, but they've all got other things on their plate like vehicles, mounted weapons, animation overhauls and a bunch more.

There is also the issue of design. Even though a PPSH-41 might be ready to go the designers need to sit down and think about what role it will fill and how to make it a valuable addition which might mean other assets or classes need to be created to go along with the weapon.

I'd expect new weapons to only come with a new animation system.

Currently the animation system is outright resource-heavy and a major source of low fps, sadness, tears and frustration. From what I hear along the grapevine they intend to simplify the bones in the player animations so Chuc may have to redo his existing animations.

As such, to implement weapons now only to reanimate them again isn't worth the effort. May as well just chuck it in one shot.