Docttj

Destructible lighting?

With the news of Fool's Road being remade I had a thought. The fortress in Fool's Road has a lot of lights inside it and I always found it funny how shooting and explosions don't do anything to them. Is it possible to do destructible lights without it being really performance intensive? Is the community interested in something like this? I personally like the thought of a firefight in a building and lights being blown out by grenades or bullets. Now it's dark and both teams are on edge because they can't see. Maybe they can throw flares to add some light. Of course the same way with dark maps there is an issue of people raising their gamma and such to be able to see anyway. 

I like the idea but if gamma hacks/mods can allow people to see, it should be avoided. I've never understood why a game can't be made completely dark so that gamma has no effect

Any gameplay of that map?

Not sure. I don't watch PR gameplay that much but I'd imagine ther would be. I can jump in game and record a bit of the fortress and put it up somewhere. Hold on 

Not sure. I don't watch PR gameplay that much but I'd imagine ther would be. I can jump in game and record a bit of the fortress and put it up somewhere. Hold on

Much appreciated :)

I'd say yes, if it adds to the gameplay and it is small like a light, with only 2 states it should be okay.

Recorded in 720p for a smaller file size so it would upload a bit faster, but youtube processing takes forever. For those who haven't played PR: Quick tour of some of the fortress. The faction is The Militia. That garage door at the start can be blown open by explosives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAijjtImnCc

Dude, just download PR an launch it...

My gPU doesnt like to be used less than 10%, it thinks that its not respectful.loooool

I cant Play any games until 10 july and i guess ill be playing pre Alpha by then

I remember the release of BF2 special forces with the awesome night maps and infrared goggles, but adjusting the gamma rendered it useless. Many games have tried this, but I have not seen one game succesfully do this so you actually need to use these features

Dudes... what the hell is that fortress?  that was never in the original map... wild.. wonder who added it

Dudes... what the hell is that fortress?  that was never in the original map... wild.. wonder who added it

Really? I've only ever played a version with the fortress. I'm certainly not a really long time player of PR though. Found some combat gameplay 

Anyways, if you guys plan some maps with indoor areas with lighting I'd love to see the lights able to be destroyed. 

I totally made that map and it totally did not have a fortress originally. hehe

That's rude of whoever added it not to tell you. I'll have to see if I can find the original version 

Taxi, it's probably my favourite map so thank you for making it, but it's had a fortress as the last OPFOR flag since as long as the Militia faction has been the opfor certainly, and that's as long as I remember it!

As for the suggestion of being able to shoot out lights and plunge a firefight into dark chaos, I say YES!

...That said, having just watched the video, I don't remember the fortress looking like that! It used to be a very simple quad-cornered concrete thing, really simple. It must have been a long time since I've fought over it then!

Taxi, it's probably my favourite map so thank you for making it, but it's had a fortress as the last OPFOR flag since as long as the Militia faction has been the opfor certainly, and that's as long as I remember it!

As for the suggestion of being able to shoot out lights and plunge a firefight into dark chaos, I say YES!

...That said, having just watched the video, I don't remember the fortress looking like that! It used to be a very simple quad-cornered concrete thing, really simple. It must have been a long time since I've fought over it then!

It's this kind of mechanic that reminds me of Killing Floor 2. You have to actually be careful where you throw frags since it can blow out light sources that are desperately needed. That kind of thing in Squad would be really awesome to see, no pun intended.

Being plunged into a house with an intense firefight, room to room fighting, or just a few guys coming through the house and running into a couple soldiers, all in the darkness because the lights were blown out from a flash bang, stun grenade, or a frag?

Added with the lighting in Unreal Engine 4, the muzzle flashes from the rifles and handguns firing, and the sound effects that SQUAD will have? YES! Definitely hope this will be a feature. Will definitely make everything more intense. Small details are always a good thing.

I think destructible lighting isn't a bad idea, providing we don't get a complete blackout.

As for the militia fortress that was expanded a while ago, maybe with 1.0.

Some BR footage:

http://youtu.be/bAHvwZjIjv8?t=2m56s

Cheers, Murkey.