LaughingJack

Terrain Base Material: using layer masks

OK, so apparently nobody looks in the Modding Helpdesk thread, even after bumping ( i figured the "helpdesk" thread was where we can get "help" ). . . . anyhoo.

Problem:

Squad_SDK: TERRAIN BASE TEXTURE, using layer masks.

i watched a video that showed how to create a terrain using TerreSculpt to make layer masks, and then use those masks to filter the Base Material.

The guy showed how to create a new Base Material by copy-paste 'ing selected materials in the Content, into a single (the first one he opened) Blueprint. He ended up with 3 Material sub-layers (Rock, Grass + Dirt) linked together to make a new Base Material and saved that using his Maps' Name.

My question is: since i cannot seem to copy-paste existing materials from one Blueprint Window to another. . . then, are we not allowed to do that?

If we cannot, it means painting the terrain by hand, yes?

. . . Or! (heh). I'm just stoopid and doing it wrong :P

cheers

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack

ta Psyrus,

but,

ohh, Discord, again . . . if i could work out how it works, i might be persuaded. we have a perfectly good forum already built here, that everyone knows how to navigate.

so what is the point in having any help topics or reference to then in these forums? is "Everyone" jumping on the Discord bandwagon? because it's the latest hip thing?

hi Igno,

if thats the one where the editor crashes on him a couple times, i've watched it already. it was some help.

i really need an answer from Irontaxi or one of the other devs as to why the Squad editor will not allow me to cop-paste Squad materials.

if i cannot then i will have to make my own from scratch - which i know (but not tried yet) how to do. i would rather use the default Squad assets where possible.

a simple answer is all i'm after.

cheers

hi Igno,

if thats the one where the editor crashes on him a couple times, i've watched it already. it was some help.

i really need an answer from Irontaxi or one of the other devs as to why the Squad editor will not allow me to cop-paste Squad materials.

if i cannot then i will have to make my own from scratch - which i know (but not tried yet) how to do. i would rather use the default Squad assets where possible.

a simple answer is all i'm after.

cheers

Yoy can "copy paste", you simply drag it to the folder you want to copy it to, In the editor ofc, then select "copy here" when you release it.

Another option is to select everything inside the material, copy it. Then make a new blank material and paste inside there.

Hi Igno,

good little vid there. so you're applying the layer mask(s) after loading up the materials, and then painting. i will have to rewatch this at home tonight (no sound on the work lappy) and there is a few things you did i still didn't catch, like how you managed to make copies of the Squad materials.

Cheers mate :D

Hi Igno,

good little vid there. so you're applying the layer mask(s) after loading up the materials, and then painting. i will have to rewatch this at home tonight (no sound on the work lappy) and there is a few things you did i still didn't catch, like how you managed to make copies of the Squad materials.

Cheers mate

Applying masks is imo, the best way to get the general textures on the terrain. Then you can paint in the details where you need to when you start placing objects and stuff.

Watch it with sound yes and you will understand how I copy over the material.

excellent Igno! pretty much what i was looking for. thanks heaps, mate :)

"Applying masks is imo, the best way to get the general textures on the terrain. Then you can paint in the details where you need to when you start placing objects and stuff."      - totally agree.

and i see you used an Instance of the mat'l - maybe this was also part of my problem (not instancing it)

Cheers!

.LJ

ps: your voice level in the vid is quite low - had crank the volume way up to hear you.

Edited by LaughingJack

On 5/24/2016 at 6:17 AM, LaughingJack said:

ohh, Discord, again . . . if i could work out how it works, i might be persuaded. we have a perfectly good forum already built here, that everyone knows how to navigate.

so what is the point in having any help topics or reference to then in these forums? is "Everyone" jumping on the Discord bandwagon? because it's the latest hip thing?

I hear you man, i am signed up to discord but i can't get the darn mic to work for some reason. Could be browser related. The devs are sane...i believe they were all tested or something. So, im thinking discord is like a back-up FOB or rally point in case this site goes down? Makes sense and it's what i would do, specially with all this global hacking BS going on these days. 128bit around the corner, stuxnet on the loose...what could possibly go wrong?

...so what map are you making for us LJ?

Post a screenie! post a screenie! post a screenie!!!...post just one for me man, post one for the rulie. Buddy buddy pal pal mate mate mate! :D

I will Rulie, eventually  ;)   . i'm playing around with a map of Iceland - not gunna end up looking like Iceland tho. got a Wilsons Promontory thing in the works as well

@Igno, and anyone else.

i am now having this problem:

as soon as i grab the Master Material and move to copy it across to "My" map sub-folder, it changes the rendered preview from the watery look, to the default surface, checkered pattern !?. 

if i go ahead and copy anyway, and then open up the properties of the(My) Instanced copy of it, it shows all "those" layers shaded-out as yours were, but still holding the correct Diff. and Norm. layers of the Master. if i enable them On, the preview does not change.

if i then apply the same surfaces as you did - still nothing happens in the preview window, and no textures show when applied to the terrain.

also,  in the Layers list in the Paint Tools, all the layers are showing as the Default Checkerboard - no textures.

it's like all the textures were stripped when i picked up the original Master material . . . ??

now one thing i thought might be the cause was "realtime" rendering of the "preview" objects(spheres) in the various windows, as i had turned it off. - turned it back on with no change in the preview. still Default.

the reason i turned off, and now still have Off, the Realtime Rendering of the Contents panel in particular (the biggest culprit) was because every time i moused over the Contents panel, my video card went off its nut, seriously, like i could actually hear it grinding away, getting hammered so hard the fan immediately spun up to flat-stick, pumping out very warm air. the other panels are no problem, hardly hitting the card at all, but that panel smashes it - no idea why . . .

EDIT:  the errors i am getting in the Preview of the Instance Properties :

{sm5} (Node TextureSampleParameter2D) Param2D> requires Texture2D

{sm5} Function Blend_Overlay: (Node If) If input A must be of type float.

i noticed if i opened up the Copied Master (not the Instance), the Nodes for the ColorMap Param2D UV's are gone for the "macro texture variation" and the "ColorMap" Node Groups. - so something has disappeared!

any help would be much appreciated

Cheers!

Edited by LaughingJack

Yes you need to set a colormap for your terrain. It is like a basic representation of the colors in your level. It helps with distance blending. What type of map are you making? Middleast or ueropean/american/russian?

Yeah, the Colour Map will provide the "base"colour/tint to the surface, yes?

only trouble is i used the one you did but i still only end up with the Default surface. i might need to do some more investigating  ;)

- unless of course you are refering to the application of a colour map before you started your vid . . . ? i noticed something like it right near the start of the vid but you did not explain it specifically, so i kind of ignored it assuming it did not matter.

the map is using Iceland for the base terrain and i will be making it all rocky 'n stuff, similar to Iceland IRL, but i will be adding a fair whack of forest and other foiliges. so, kind of a foresty Iceland. i'm making it at 4033x4033 using a 2016x2016 dem, so i'm not sure how big it will end up as there is no way to scale or apply scale to the model, in real-world terms, but i think it might end up about 2-2.5km x 1-2km (useable Ground), roughly, i won't really know until i place some asset for scale.

Cheers!

I would maybe try the fools road material if you are going for a forest/rocky map.

It is not so simple to change textures as in the newlandscape material, but you should have everything you need to get going.

Also, you dont have to worry about colormaps.

after much re-starting of this map, trying to get things to work, and "re-installing"(running) the Squad Project again, i have now got to the point where i have a terrain that refuses to colour anything other than the base ColorMap (no texture colours show, just normals deviation). i have been on and off this for about 2 weeks now.

i resolved the issue of the missing ColorMap and Tex(?)Co-ords within the Material Instance by firstly re-loading the ColorMap. This gave me an actual non-default surface that i could paint on, however i can only get the Normal Displacement to show - no colour. After the ColorMap i reset the Tex(?)Coord to 1.0 (default?) and my map ended up with random glowy squiggles all over it.

As far as using another Master, i have tried every Terrain Master in the Squad set. without fail, as soon as i click on them (right or left), they loose the Tex(?)Coord and ColorMap info - nothing else within the Masters seems to be missing stuff but these nodes - the Only exception to this is the Jensens Range Master which does not appear to bug-out.

another thing is, when importing the Layer Masks into the Layers of the Material, there is not indication of which one is loaded or if it has in fact successfullt loaded at all. the only way to check (kind of) is to see if the Layer will allow me to "re-import" the Mask.

Even though i like the idea of using Masks to paint terrain, the masks are limited and fairly basic as far as control of painting goes. so i have tried to look for tools and docs on painting Materials by elevation and slope but i cannot find any. i cannot believe that an engine of this calibre would not have these tools, so im assuming that im blind and cannot see them. painting by slope/elevation envelopes is quite easy, if a little longer-winded then by Mask.

.LJ

ps: in CryEngine i had a similar sized terrain imported, painted by-slope/-elevation with 6 different materials, four different themed locations and the entire island foliated and rocked (etc.). this took me a few days to do all up, but i had the terrain up and painted in a matter of hours.

Edited by LaughingJack

well iv'e given up trying to make a map/terrain now as nobody seems to be able to help me with this issue.

maybe when the next SDK iteration is released i'll try again but for now i'm really very disappointed, and particularly frustrated with the engine itself.

my next efforts will be to strip an existing map and repopulate it - see if that works, though i don't hold any high hopes.

really wanted to make a unique terrain for everyone to use

:(

Edited by LaughingJack

On 6/6/2016 at 6:53 AM, LaughingJack said:

-snip-

ps: in CryEngine i had a similar sized terrain imported, painted by-slope/-elevation with 6 different materials, four different themed locations and the entire island foliated and rocked (etc.). this took me a few days to do all up, but i had the terrain up and painted in a matter of hours.

daww maaan..i may never get to finish a Squad map if it took me months of my life to place 1200 objects around a darn Joint Ops terrain. Cheese's ricest!

These early foliage masters cut down my map making time by half. Pity it was 2009 before i figured out how to do this. I simply took all the tree, bush, decorations(or most of the common ones) and groupd'em up 10 meters in the air, (yup floaties,) in one corner of the map.

Later adding buildings and vehicles so the file was huge. Hopefully still have it somewhere. Anyways, with NILE you could copy n paste the whole "floating" collection onto any freshly loaded terrain. You didn't have to go hunting through the library to find "sandbag_3", it was just a case of copy n pasting the floating sandbag, ground it, then move it to where you want, rotate, pitch, twist etc and remember to delete the last copy of the floater when finished.

JO%20NILE%20FOLIAGE%20MASTERS.png

Slope and Elevation Envelopes for painting terrain with materials and/or assets. >  https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?71404-Slope-based-landscape-painting

apparently a requested feature - wonder if we'll ever see it tho . . .funny to see the UE-Dev replying, telling him to use the unituitive, diffucult and  inherently limited way of "trying" to achieve what he wants.

@Rulie:  yeah, i've got a sheet of paper at home with all the TR assets listed and the Esci' assets listed seperately so i could quickly find the one i wanted. ;)

Edited by LaughingJack

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

-snip-

@Rulie:  yeah, i've got a sheet of paper at home with all the TR assets listed and the Esci' assets listed seperately so i could quickly find the one i wanted. ;)

What did you mean there LJ...you have a paper print out of all the JO.TR & ESC assets plus a colour pic of the 3D object or just the list with no pics?

My little map masters would have been much easier for you to use me thinks, but i didn't do a lot of 'snap to grid' work, I'll have to post a screenie or something to show ya what i mean.

Of course, that means i will have to fcuking install NILE...and as you know, you just can't fcuking install NILE, you gotta update that slunt...to at least v1.3 or it's a waste of time. Hopefully ive still got it installed on my lap top. Get back to you on that one.

nah, i went throught the list in the editor whilst only open (nile) for TR, wrote all the assests down, then did the same with Esci, wrote down the different assets, so i have a written list, differentiated for the two - anything not on the lists was therefore IC(E). i'll post at some point when i get a chance.

heheh, i still have nile on my old box ;)

ps: wish we could (legally) get access to the assets for that game - would be way cool

On 6/21/2016 at 6:20 AM, LaughingJack said:

ps: wish we could (legally) get access to the assets for that game - would be way cool

yeah...dunno how those AW2 mod dudes got the free pass on that. Rumor has it the dude was Wumpas's nephew or cousin some weird shit. BHD models looked cooler on the PS2 than PC version. Someone spent time modifying them. But the JO AW2 mod did seem to see the most models mashed up from BHD, DF, JO, it's mods plus stacks of other rad custom stuff and after all, at the end of the day, Joint Operations always was just one massive model combination re-hash that happened to include everything from BHD, Comanche, Armored Fist, Delta Force to Ultra Bots.

The T.IC mod will override your IC.E mod if you don't change the install path or something. Watch out for that one bro. I always thought the IC.E mod was cool as, now the T.IC mod was supposed to be the Total IC + IC.E mod combination knock out punch. I have no idea whats going on with it anymore.

Still got to find the last foliage master from Reality mod yet but this was the AW2 version i was working on at the 475 object mark.

Played with lego heaps as a kid. lols..

AW2%20foliage%20master%204WIDE.png

AW2%20foliage%20master%202WIDE.png

AW2%20foliage%20master%203WIDE.png

AW2%20foliage%20master%201WIDE.png

I hope i'll be able to work it too. Anyone know how big a DL the full SDK will be, roughly?