Psyko

Havok destructible physics

This may be of interest to developers.

Video of the updated havok engine's new destructible physics dated Jun 3 2015

http://www.havok.com/havok-sales/

Take a look at the video and dont judge the textures that is not the focus, instead observe how the walls bust along the seems of the bricks, and how the contact areas of the cars explode.

Awesome, is SqUAD could add this lèvel of destruction, it Will be the FPS of the decade :), is that on UE4?

servers dont calculate physics, it's client side?

Then how do you sync destruction between players?

Just basic states that the server sends out I think. "This object just got destroyed" and then each client renders that event individually. Meaning bricks and debris behave differently per client. Bit like when you see ragdoll physics behave differently on each client, because each client was just given the "This guy just died, do your magic with physics". As long as all clients receive the data that "X" wall has now crumbled and you can shoot through that area now. 

As for the topic at hand, would be a cool effect for taking down compound walls with vehicles / explosives and seeing buildings crumble with physics, however from a performance / optimization / balance standpoint, it's just going to be a mess. 

It still has to be done for every single piece of wall etc, and than you dont take into consideration that one could get an unfair advantage by having the debris landing on a different location as the other players.

Like if we ever get fights on the sea, every wave should be behaving the same on each player their screen for it to be good fun.

servers dont calculate physics, it's client side?

Servers do need to calculate some physics, mainly things you don't want to get hacked on the client side :)

And yeah as Rye said, you do need to sync destruction etc with other players. And having to sync destruction to 100(+) players will result in performance issues.

I have some programming. experience mainly with JAVA, but next to no network programming.

Isn't all clients synced anyway with server? So adding destruction would add to the ammount of data being synced but couldn't. you get around this bandwidth problem by using separate network ports? Granted the video card will still have to work harder but they are built for it, but bandwidth can be mediated by extra ports same way VOIP is cant it?

Just asking to someone who might know.

for example, if you blow up a wall you are only blowing up one specific segment at a time, it's either destroyed or not, there is no in between. same for fences, wooden parts on corrugated iron fences in BF2, even the ladders use the same information. And the doors in Project reality are coded to use this material when you use the shotgun to open them.

if you were playing call of duty and during a match one of the walls had bullet holes put through it, the bullet holes for one player might be in a different position for all the other players.

Servers do need to calculate some physics, mainly things you don't want to get hacked on the client side :)

And yeah as Rye said, you do need to sync destruction etc with other players. And having to sync destruction to 100(+) players will result in performance issues.

can you give an example? 

1. Squad will be on UE4. They're not going to switch engines now...

2. I would like to see some macro destruction, like a missile being able to destroy a compound roof or something, but of course micro-destruction isn't really important and will just be difficult to sync.

On BF4, are destruction server sides ?, because even with 64, and lots of destruction going on, the frame rate are still very nice, the only avantage of the frosbite engine is that it is very well optimized , getting between 65-90 FPS with my i7 4790k and gtx 970, maxed out. Was getting 45-60 FPS in high setting with my ex gtx580 and i7 950.....

Also, not everything should be destructible to save some performance, walls can only be destroyed by rpg, apc, tanks, heli shells, same thing for some compound wall for example

1. Squad will be on UE4. They're not going to switch engines now...

2. I would like to see some macro destruction, like a missile being able to destroy a compound roof or something, but of course micro-destruction isn't really important and will just be difficult to sync.

1. They dont switch engine if they go with Havoc or physx

2. Micro destruction like you mentioned is much heavier on performance than "normal" destruction

It looks like everything is made of glass..... odd IMO. No mass or loss of momentum.