Hey everyone.  I would like to know everyone's opinion on Esports. What you like about them or what you dislike? What games you would want to see? What games you like watching? all that stuff and what you think of Esports becoming bigger and bigger throughout the years And if you think its a sport.I personally i think that it shares a lot of things in conman with sports but I don't know if the pros should be called athletes and stuff but its fun to watch and its competitive like any sport so its up to personal opinion that is what matters

i like watching CS:GO Esports because of the the intense rounds and when a pro pulls off something amazing get and Dota 2 because of the strategy and cluster of spells during a team fight.

I think I have a really odd relationship with Esports, I've barely watched any. I just don't find it entertaining. 

This'll come out as really douchy and cocky but hey...

Games like League of Legends or CS:GO are stuff I've played. A lot. And according to my own small brain at a very, very high skill level. So watching them just feels really off for me. I just think the skill gap between them and myself isn't high enough that I'd be impressed by anything they do on a regular basis to entertain me just by watching it instead of playing the games myself.

But then something like Starcraft that I've never touched and don't understand a bloody thing about is sometimes alright to watch because the skill gap is massive and I can't dream of the stuff those lads do. Sort of like with real sports, I ain't got a piece in competitive sports, but if I would be a superman-athlete I wonder if I'd be disinterested in the same sport I'd be good at. 

I do see the appeal of Esports and as we've seen they definitely have a market out there and as time goes I'm sure they can ramp up the entertainment value with big events but as of now it's not for me. It's not a sport, it's an Esport and imo they aren't athletes. I don't think they have a good term for the competitive Esports players yet, I hope some big company comes up with something real embarrasing that catches on like Ultra-athletes or E-Heroes :D 

For me Esports has always been Quake. I really enjoyed watching those dizzying one on one matches.

Nowadays Esports is mostly MOBA's and CS:GO.

I don't have any attraction towards MOBA's, played a bit of Dota back when it was a W3 mod, wasn't my thing so dropped it. So for me watching a MOBA match is like watching a chinese movie without subtitles. I don't understand a thing of what's going on so can't really judge if they're doing something wrong or not.

Played CS:GO for a while but again it's not really my thing either. Never really found it very tactical apart from choosing the right weapon for the map/approach you play.

Recently I've been watching some Project Cars Esports matches and they're quite fun. I even tried playing once but I'm just not good enough and don't really have time to get good. Playing games only for fun these days when time allows.

My first introduction to E-Sports was through German TV-channel Giga, where a 2-hour E-Sports show ran every Monday and Tuesday. If I'm not mistaken that was somewhere around 2003-04; CS:Source was relatively new to the market, and the only Warcraft I knew was WarCraft III. Since then I've been watching E-Sports, sometimes more, sometimes less, watching the attention it got, growing from a few 100,000s worldwide who watched the World Cyber Games in 200X, to the millions who contribute to the Dota2 International tournament's prize pool every year alone(my brother said it was already up to 5.2m yesterday. 1.6m came from Valve, the remainder via a digital item called the Compendium). Since I'm a gamer at heart I feel very happy that video games, who were stigmatized beyond belief and blamed for virtually every undoing of young adults and older teens(oh boy, the German "Killerspiele"-discussion back in 2001-2008), are brought to a greater audience.

Why do I like them? Hmmm. I'd say you could explain it with whether or not you find games interesting. If you do, chances are you harbor an interest in watching someone else play. Then how about somebody else against a team of equally skilled players? It's not really that far of a thought now, is it? People invested in music watch musicians play and go to concerts or operas. People who play Football like to watch others. How and why would or should games be any different from that? 

To me personally, when it comes to video games, they are very much mind games. When in Football or Basketball physique dictates your limits, in games it's your mind, your ability to react to a situation and to strategize on the fly. Of course some physical limitations(reaction time and precision, eg.) exist, but these play a minor role, just like a strategy in sports can be a factor to consider but doesn't trump superior physical ability.

I personally don't think there is a huge difference in Sports and E-Sports. A sport is nothing else but a game. And the only difference between E-Sports and Sports is which part of the body you use the most. The rest - largely the same or with a compareable substitute. I think people focus on the physical / non-physical aspect way too much.

@Frontliner Giga Games and Giga E-Sports were just about the best thing ever! Really nice to see someone knowing that show in this forum! :P

That was also my first real contact with esports.... Grand Slam power!

I myself still play a lot of CS:GO (1.6 in the past) and love watching it. I hope we will get a big community for esports in Squad as well!

I think Squad has potential to be a popular game in e-sports, but just not as much as other games, or at least not with the same crowd.

The problem I see with Squad (unless e-sports is based on 9v9) is you have big teams. 

People following e-sports like to follow specific players, something that is not as easy on Squad due to the large size of teams, and therefore the "lessened" importance of each individual.

The only way I see Squad being popular in e-sports is by attracting people who follow entire teams, due to what I explained above.

When I wanna get good at a game, I watch what the experienced players are doing. Fastest way to git gud. 

After watching Squad League and CCFN, I'm a potential Hall of Famer within the Squad community. 

On 5/19/2016 at 5:52 AM, molomo58 said:

I think Squad has potential to be a popular game in e-sports, but just not as much as other games, or at least not with the same crowd.

The problem I see with Squad (unless e-sports is based on 9v9) is you have big teams. 

People following e-sports like to follow specific players, something that is not as easy on Squad due to the large size of teams, and therefore the "lessened" importance of each individual.

The only way I see Squad being popular in e-sports is by attracting people who follow entire teams, due to what I explained above.

Seriously? Squad eSports? On weekends Squad averages around 1000 players total and right now over half a million people are playing CS:GO. Twice as many people play Rust as Squad on a daily basis. Squad isn't even in the top 100 games accessed on Steam. Never mind the fact Squad is an early access Alpha game with no stats, ranking and no officially hosted servers. Just trying to be realistic here and politely state the facts.

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Seriously? Squad eSports? On weekends Squad averages around 1000 players total and right now over half a million people are playing CS:GO.

And still, Squad has a competitive scene that is bigger than many games with players in the millions. The player base is not so important for something to be an eSport. And you should think of it the other way around. The competitive scene of Squad is a way to expose the game and the gameplay to more people to expand the player base.

With the team sizes required for Squad, it would never become something like CS:GO, even if it was equally popular, simply because of the economics of it all. That does not preclude it from becoming an eSport, nor a successful one.

1 hour ago, Tartantyco said:

The competitive scene of Squad is a way to expose the game and the gameplay to more people to expand the player base.

Do the math. Tens of thousands of people downloaded and played Squad on the free weekends and yet only around 1000 people play Squad on an average Saturday now. That's the same number as around a year ago. Let's be realistic, if being able to try the game for free doesn't really increase the average player base then you honestly think the "competitive scene" will somehow increase sales? 

Squad is a casual hybrid milsim/arcade FPS and hopefully it stays that way.

4 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

@Zylfrax791 I think the issue here is that you're assuming a scale nobody else is. Also, you're way off on your numbers.

What scale? You mean this scale?

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/18646316/global-offensive-espn-esports-homepage

Trying to compare this legitimate sponsored CS:GO event televised by ESPN like OP was referencing to some clans playing a scrimmage of an early access alpha game on Twitch with a grand prize of a t-shirt or mug is like trying to compare a Geo Metro with a 2018 Rolls Royce Phantom VIII.

And way off compared to what average? This is the same link I use and actually reinforces my point even more because it shows actual owners versus the freeloaders and shows an average of around only 7% of owners actually play Squad if you want to get technical. If letting people play the game for free for over an entire weekend doesn't compel them to spend $40 then nothing will.

Bottom line, I'll qualify it this way since this is the eSports OP was referring to: Squad will never ever be in legitimate sponsored eSports televised on ESPN. Ever. Nor should it be, as its just a casual shooter game.

I seriously don't know where all you guys get this idea in your head that an early access Alpha game is somehow ready for anything but going to Beta and then finally being finished...

Again, I was incorrect about this subject. If overseen by OWI staff, hosted on a completely neutral server and with a delayed Twitch stream I think there can be legitimate & fair tournaments in Squad. 

I've been playing Dota since 2006, but can't watch any tournament. I just find it too boring. Played Sc2 and Wc3 (where i found Dota) for a short period, but I followed the e-sport scene for a while.