Norby

Pre-Release Test for Alpha 6

It's official folks! I, NotBrad the NotKing of the Internet called it! Hahaha! I should receive an official custom forum title for this one... Something cool like maybe... The_Boss... Bridge Troll..? NotKing perhaps? Either way I'm omnipotent or I'm the boss!

2 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Will this test basically allow you to judge how good the new net code is? Don't mean to add to the stress, just curious.

We've had some pretty solid testing with that internally already.  We've figured out how to emulate live servers internally, so it was developed with those settings enabled. 

Really, we are testing some network rate optimizations.  We turned off ticking and network updates for weapons you don't have equipped, as well as modified update rates and other settings to cut out things you don't see and prevent them from taking up too much processing power.  We see advantages here and few bugs, so we are going wide and seeing the results on real world conditions.  It's looking good though.  

5 minutes ago, RoyAwesome said:

We've had some pretty solid testing with that internally already.  We've figured out how to emulate live servers internally, so it was developed with those settings enabled. 

Really, we are testing some network rate optimizations.  We turned off ticking and network updates for weapons you don't have equipped, as well as modified update rates and other settings to cut out things you don't see and prevent them from taking up too much processing power.  We see advantages here and few bugs, so we are going wide and seeing the results on real world conditions.  It's looking good though.  

You guys are legendary. I hope you don't let all the complainers get to you, pretending like it's easy to make a game like this. Looking forward to A6 and beyond :D

Net code question:

When you meet a foe on the battlefield, both start shoot eachother, bullets hit both, you hit better and i clearly see 3/4 bullets, after those he can still shoot you and then drop critically wounded... will this possibly disappear with the net move solution? 

I probably won't make it to enter the testing :/

Awesome stuff guys :)

Quick question, to jump in and mess around with this testing in the range, do I download this test version via the beta option in steam?

I'd love to jump on with you lot but it'll be 4am where I live so I think I'll pass :P 

Thanks

1 hour ago, ErDanese said:

Net code question:

When you meet a foe on the battlefield, both start shoot eachother, bullets hit both, you hit better and i clearly see 3/4 bullets, after those he can still shoot you and then drop critically wounded... will this possibly disappear with the net move solution? 

Your answers can be found here:

What is the size of the download more or less? I want to know if I'll be able to finish it in the two hours before the play-test starts with my slow ADSL.

2 hours ago, Saracen Rush said:

Awesome stuff guys :)

Quick question, to jump in and mess around with this testing in the range, do I download this test version via the beta option in steam?

I'd love to jump on with you lot but it'll be 4am where I live so I think I'll pass :P 

Thanks

Yes, there will be a beta password provided 2 hours beforehand; then you can enter the password by right-clicking Squad in the library and going to -> properties-> betas.

2 hours ago, ErDanese said:

Net code question:

NetMove wont apply to players for a while yet.  It's going to be used for Vehicles.  The current system is working pretty great as-is and while we will get a performance win out of using NetMove, it's not as much after 4.11 came out and we got a CharacterMovement optimization.  

NetMove's first rollout is on Emplacements, which don't move anyway so you wont have to worry about that question.  Next will be Vehicles which are big and not as agile, so again, you don't really have to worry about it.  

1 hour ago, JarryHead said:

What is the size of the download more or less? I want to know if I'll be able to finish it in the two hours before the play-test starts with my slow ADSL.

will be something 2-2.5GB i think

11 hours ago, SuicidalChair said:

yes because the last thing we want to do is break 100,000 copies of squad so noone can play it.

100.000 copies? maybe...

but...

http://steamcharts.com/app/393380

24-hour peak: 778

just ask yourself - why!?

12 minutes ago, 8mmMauser said:

....because it's Alpha?

Some fine day when the vehicle comes, the player base will be significantly larger... Hope for a peak at 20k players / day :) 

32 minutes ago, 8mmMauser said:

100.000 copies? maybe...

but...

Maybe those are the current players, yes. But after the official update to alpha 6 i bet we will have at least 2000 players filling the servers if not more. And the first people who would cry if something went wrong are the same people like u crying that updates take to long or that the dev´s bought to many hookers for the money and screwed everyone over.

Why is it so hard to understand that they do the best to make us happy and that there is always something that can go wrong, why don´t you like the idea of testing stuff and fixing it before it is getting released?

42 minutes ago, 8mmMauser said:

100.000 copies? maybe...

but...

Um, yeah, you have to put that in perspective with other games. 

Take Insurgency for instance:

2.5 million copies sold.

15 000 all-time peak players, normally around 3000 these days over a weekend.

That is a whopping 0.12% of all owners playing simultaneously!

Over a weekend Squad might have 1000 peak players, that's 1% of owners.

So Squad is not doing too bad...

Another comparison: COD Black Ops 3
1 million copies sold.
Typically 25k peak players. = 2.5% of owners playing

Edited by JarryHead

1 hour ago, 8mmMauser said:

1 hour ago, carmikaze said:

....because it's Alpha?

Precisely.

I know many people (I can think of 13 without searching through my steam contacts) who have bought the game to support it, to see how it is, play it every now and then, but who are really just waiting for the final release. 

Then there are those who got bored/played too much/want new features, who are also not playing atm, waiting for something else.

38 minutes ago, koschilein said:

i bet we will have at least 2000

I think we'll have much more than x2.5 the actual count. I would predict something like 5000 if not more (probably more ^^)

Also people are playing different game.

Since i'm a community tester for squad now, I'm only playing squad to test news builds. I also play at Naruto shippuden XXXXX 4, hardline, R6S, Xplane10, DCS....

21 minutes ago, Adambradys said:

Is the beta password posted here???  Where might i find it? :)

19 hours ago, Norby said:

The Password will be provided in the newly created "prerelease-testing" channel on our community discord, in order to join use this link: https://discord.gg/0VcFH6sxVnrYWz9g   The channel will be activated at 18.00 UTC.

19 hours ago, Norby said:

The password will be provided in the newly created "prerelease-testing" channel on our community discord, in order to join use this link: https://discord.gg/0VcFH6sxVnrYWz9g   The channel will be activated at 18.00 UTC.

Edited by Evad422
Yeah carmikaze was a bit faster then me.... :D