Mumble

FOBs vs. Supply Crates: Separation of Spawning Locations and Construction Zones

I know some of you don't like to travel over to reddit, but I like to hear your opinions, so I'm moving that discussion here as well. See below.

This is a preemptive discussion about logistics before they come into play. I'm sure this has been discussed internally, but I haven't heard any strong discussion about it on reddit or the forums. All of my commentary is said with the knowledge that this game is in alpha and developing daily.

Building emplacements is great. You can fortify a chokepoint, increase defenses on a point, or make a stronghold on an important piece of terrain.

Having forward spawn points is great. You can keep your team closer to the action, which is productive for the team and is more fun.

Should these two be necessarily tied to each other? Does it make sense that, just because I want to put down a machine gun emplacement to watch over a valley, I also have to put a spawn point down?

Currently, the only place to build emplacements is around your Forward Operating Base (FOB). From what I have seen, that is the plan for the future as well. There is a time and place to build up emplacements, as well as a time and place to set up a new forward spawn point. I truly do not believe these need to be tied to each other. Supply/logistics crates should allow for the construction of emplacements without the construction of a Forward Operating Base.

Look at the example of "fishbowl FOBs" we see in-game today. The main reason that squad leaders are tossing these FOBs down inside a point is... they want to build! And there's plenty of times where building a up a point is completely legitimate! If they had a choice, they would probably not want to put their only spawn point for half a kilometer right inside that point in case things go bottoms up; that squad leader would probably like to put it a good distance out from the point to reinforce it when things get shot up.

Another example, showcasing vehicles. Roads will soon become a huge bottleneck for firefights because vehicle transport will necessitate the use of smooth terrain. Say we have a bridge that the enemy must cross to get towards our defense points. A squad leader could simply call for a supply crate drop near the bridge and get to building his sandbags, TOW, razor wire, you name it. He doesn't want to build a spawn point and risk ticket loss or his spawn point getting surrounded and having no available reinforcement.

Of course, this would still give you the option to build FOBs and emplacements alongside each other, as it is now, but it's also giving you the option not to.

There's so many times where I find myself building emplacements on the very edge of the FOB construction zone because I desire a separation of resupply and fortification. Why can't we simply separate those two?

TL:DR separate spawn zones from building zones.

Remember, I don't mean to sound overly-aggressive about a feature that hasn't even shown its face in-game, but logistics will be a huge part of the meta, and if it's tied to FOBs like shown in all the reading material I have found (e.g. the logistics boot camp post), it could lead to frustrating gameplay. That said, Project Reality required assets to be built within 200 meters of FOBs and PR plays well.

Maybe I'm all wrong, but that's why I posted it here. Looking forward to discussion!

There's definitely been some discussion on the matter, but I haven't heard definitive answers on how things will be modified.

I do agree with @Tartantyco that if its tied to supply crates then the usefulness of fortifications becomes much greater. I'm not too hip on static combat regardless however.

dang it, i searched for this discussion!! sometimes the search is mean to me. you can delete this thread then, i'll just add my thoughts onto that one.

Its all good. Its a bit more quiet here than reddit anyways. But regardless, for fortifications to be more ubiquitously applied I think they need to not be a sure sign of critical infrastructure. So un-tethering them from radios would be very useful, I concur.

OT: sorry for beeing off-topic. You mean on reddit such suggestions will be discussed...with participation of the devs!? I mean 90% of the posts on this forums is just redundant hate, whiny and trolling stuff.

I have also some thoughts about the general game logic. For e.g. different logistic trucks or different loads on the logi trucks. In PR logis, tanks, choppers etc. have to drive/fly back into mainbase to rearm/resupply their vehicles. In reality you have trucks with ammo, fuel etc. to rearm the tanks etc. The possibility to build such supply points would be awesome - but they need to be resupplied as well...like trucks bring stuff from the MB to resupply these resupply points.

maxresdefault.jpgSo, vehicles will have a fuel gauge and run out of fuel in say 20 minutes and have to be refueled by either Jerry cans or a fuel truck or fueling station?  Cool.  Do we have fuel truck models made up yet?

Edited by XRobinson
pic

On 5/22/2016 at 2:56 AM, El Duderino said:

The possibility to build such supply points would be awesome - but they need to be resupplied as well...like trucks bring stuff from the MB to resupply these resupply points.

Resupply-ception

(But who resupplies the main base)

Edited by Catindabox

I would imagine this would be even more important for irregular forces. I can't imagine mortars for instance being too effective when stuck on a stationary position for resupply especially for guerilla forces.

I mean at that point it's ultra realism, and the question lies is it necessary for immersion? I think not, I do believe separating FOB and supplies is a good idea. Do we give Rally points a point system and fobs the same point system and put a supply CAP on them. In this case you could build up a rally point, it ends up being a game changing location so you place the FOB there and move your rally point. Or do you give Alpha and Bravo team their own rally point and the squad leader has a rally point which would allow multiple rally points like what we usually have pre designated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've already stated(During StackUp) that the FOB spawn will be separated from the FOB itself. The FOB structure will probably function as a supply dump. We'll see how they implement it.

I'm really most interested in what they'll do about FOB proximity and ticket cost.  I think that once everything is supply-dependent, and as long as there's no FOB resource regeneration (Meaning you have to manually resupply), they should just remove the proximity restrictions (400m) and associated ticket costs of losing FOB assets. the resource-, time-, and manpower cost of building and maintaining all the assets should be enough of a risk/reward incentive.

On 17.11.2016 at 6:24 PM, Catindabox said:

Resupply-ception

(But who resupplies the main base)

On round start: why you just spawn in? Where do your character come from? Why you don't see the whole story behind it like beeing born, growing up, going to school, joining a military academy and so on?

11 hours ago, El Duderino said:

On round start: why you just spawn in? Where do your character come from? Why you don't see the whole story behind it like beeing born, growing up, going to school, joining a military academy and so on?

This is unacceptable.

My immersion is BROKEN.

DEVS FIX THIS SHIT NOW!

they should simply extend the range of the build area from a fob..

i've never been one to build anywhere near fobs allways on the outer radius takes some getting used to but i have never personally built on a fobs location i'll put a fob back from where i want to fortify.. rally on near fortification fob for back up.

For Insurgency mode, it would be nice that fobs have to be a certain distance outside or away from the cache.    and change the name from Fobs to PB's.