XRobinson

No more game hardware or computers

After reading this article and others about the demise of consoles after PS5 there will be no PS6 because companies will force gamers to go to streaming without a computer or box.....This would centralize control of all your gaming and you could not game without a internet connection; a high speed one at that.  I do not think this would be wise for several reasons:

1. Company controls the software you bought and can stop you from playing any time and revoke your gaming rights.  2. A centralized system is highly succeptable to hackers and system failure.  3. Your access is dependent on your Service Provider having the hardware available on their cloud systems....you have no hardware...you could not access the system or net anytime you wanted and have no control on availability of that network.  4. You maybe charged by the minute, hour, day, month, year everytime you play and so could not pay once to play forever anymore, you wouldnt own game but only lease it each time you play.  Are these enough reasons to say no to streaming games in near future?  It is for me and I say no to this. Where do you stand? Here's article:

Link doesnt work will have to type or search it in your browser....

http://Forbes Now: Ubisoft: Expect To See A PS5, But No PS6.

http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwy6Ds9CQ

Edited by XRobinson
question

Ummm... Not sure what the point you are trying to make is.

Either way, the only reason for the industry to shift to such a system is for centralizing control and access. But that isn't a problem for indie game developers because not only would they lack the capital necessary to purchase the servers, they would also lack the motivation to do so. If the big publishers do it, like EA and Activision, let them. I'll vote with my money like everyone else and they'd probably collapse under their own weight pretty quickly. Plus Nvidea and AMD would have to get on board.

If you do not own the hardware or software....all of your gaming and or productivity is subject to its availability on the net...and whoever controls the net will control your access to it because now you only got a dumb terminal that does nothing. This will be big brother on steroids!

ever hear of onlive or gaikai? if your answer is no its because they went out of business because it was crap.
Sony bought up their patents and tech to use for PS now and its still not good.

but we don't even have to talk about this for another 11 years because its going to be at least that long until a PS6 would even be close to release.

This also relies on your end user having a high speed internet connection able to handle the stream, not everyone with a PS4 has the bandwidth to stream games to it, and those are just PS3 games, as the games evolve and graphics get even more photo-realistic it will require faster networks to handle, and I don't know about you but I'm not going to be shelling out extra cash when my ISP calls me up saying I've used 1 TB of bandwidth streaming games and they are charging me 50 cents a GB.

Not to mention competitive esports on consoles would die, nobody is going to put up with the delay of streaming a first person shooter over the net when money is on the line.

They will try to force this...do not think they wont....under the guise that its better, more effecient, and beneficial to all.....please use your brain and do not let them take your hardware or software to have your own local gaming or productivity without streaming or net access. Its vital centralization is stopped for the future.   Imagine not being able to control your FPS by having a better video card, FPS would be determined by your net speed access and not your local hardware.  They would turn your present computer into a dumb terminal because it would by pass your video card and RAM. You couldn't load your game locally from disc it would have to be streamed regardless if you got a hard drive.  You have to sign up for streaming because thats the only way you can play period.....Now you can buy a cheap terminal for 10 bucks and be charged every minute of play on it because there is no other alternative.  No no no.....:) I say no to this.

Edited by XRobinson
more thought

"they will try to force this" - Who? And by what motive?

EA? Ubisoft?

Indie games will always have future, and they will not be streamed.

And stream-gaming will not happen within next 10 years because many countries still have poor ass shit interweb connections (Germany is a good example for shitty internet).

It would only happen if comfort overweighted the issues behind the concept.

It could be forced in small markets that have google fiber first then expanded to everyone gradually.  Does it matter when it arrives when it shouldnt arrive at all?  I want my PC to work without a net connection period ; forever no charging me infinitely to use a dumb terminal.  Which would you choose in ten years?

12 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

It could be forced in small markets that have google fiber first then expanded to everyone gradually.  Does it matter when it arrives when it shouldnt arrive at all?  I want my PC to work without a net connection period ; forever no charging me infinitely to use a dumb terminal.  Which would you choose in ten years?

yeah but this is about consoles not PCs, pcs will never be 100% dumb terminals.

and nobody is going to participate on small markets,
Are you watching VR? its an expensive venture and none of the AAA publishers are hopping on board yet because nobody has it, the big wigs don't want to invest money in niche markets, this is why we are getting call of "duty 45 : the same crap as the last 42" and "Battlefield 4 with old crappy guns"
new and innovative doesn't sell. So why would EA or Ubisoft invest money to stream games when they can drop the costs on the consumer to buy the hardware instead of hosting it themselves. Servers, electricity, and bandwidth all cost money, not to mention the cost to cool all that equipment.

Look Im going by what executives are saying in the article about the future.  Do not be nieve about the ramifications of putting everything on a chip and being subject to everything becoming a streaming service from the cloud...from all the articles in tech I have been reading the tech giants are going this direction...put your finger in the wind and see it blowing in this direction from a distributed system to a centralized system... if in the future all is streamed from the cloud...to download games now but just to stream later to a single chip that is nothing but a terminal...is the cheaper and more profitable way to go...when they can charge you everytime you use it! You bet this isnt just about consoles! But how all business is done in future.

By the way yes they can turn your computer into a dumb terminal if they wont sell you any software to run on it but require you to sign up for streaming only....what you going to do if they dont sell you software for your computer anymore? :)

3 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

By the way yes they can turn your computer into a dumb terminal if they wont sell you any software to run on it but require you to sign up for streaming only....what you going to do if they dont sell you software for your computer anymore? :)

Who is they?
microsoft?

sure lets see how much business they lose when they decide to go 100% cloud based,
every bank in the world would all of a sudden stop using microsoft.
oops there goes the military, they are not going to keep their important files off site hosted at microsoft.
oh damn, you have a fortune 500 company that has contracts with clients for 100% privacy and protection?
I guess your switching to all linux because you can't keep their data in the cloud.

oh and don't think AMD and Intel are going to have something to say about this?
"your entire consumer market is now gone because they don't buy hardware anymore"

But I'm glad the CEO of ubisoft thinks so, he also thought releasing broken assassins creed games every 12 months was a good idea.

I honestly can't tell if this thread is a troll or not but it feels like it.

You got to call me a troll because I showed you you were wrong about a computer couldnt be turned into a dumb terminal....yes it can be.  This post was made because I believe the they being powers that make consoles, computers, software are telling us the future may not have the hardware anymore....example quoted in article above.  And I say no and gave all the reasons why please do not defer to name calling. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

You got to call me a troll because I showed you you were wrong about a computer couldnt be turned into a dumb terminal....yes it can be.  This post was made because I believe the they being powers that make consoles, computers, software are telling us the future may not have the hardware anymore....example quoted in article above.  And I say no and gave all the reasons why please do not defer to name calling. Thanks.

I work in a data center, I know computers can be turned into dumb terminals because I work on a bunch of dumb terminals, I'm saying you can't replace ALL computers with dumb terminals, especially home computers.

If you can't afford a decent computer that can provide the same experience a dumb terminal can for gaming, you won't be able to afford the internet to use the dumb terminal in the first place.

And I never called you "names" I said I couldn't tell if this was a troll thread because your arguing points about a topic you read about on forbes, It seems like something someone would do just for the sake of arguing. I'll just leave this thread because nothing good is going to come from it.

Video games are for nerds anyway. Everyone grows out of it eventually.

Raising awareness about being screwed over by possible changing technological advances is a noble cause I think and feel strongly there is a danger here that may need looking at in being forced to buy streaming services over software you buy and own on your computer or console.  Thanks

51 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Linux is free.

I still havent upgraded to Win10 and prob will be an Linux expert real soon...:)  Have used RedHat and Suse in past though. Gaming on Linux here I come! :)

We believe in streaming–it demands lots of bandwidth,” he also said. “We think it’s going to grow but today, with the types of games we have, it will still take a bit of time to be more popular.”

people dont have bandwidth capable and ISP arent going to help any... i bet it doesnt start in the USA probably a smaller country with better internet infrastructure.

The future tends to be more planned out then we realize when it comes to new technology.  Military is always like 10 to 20 years ahead of what the public is allowed to have.  And those skunkwork tech outfits are usually 5 years ahead of what they will be releasing to the public.  So, they know what is cooking for the future.  If they think it will possible to stream in the future you can prob bet they already got or very near to perfecting the tech now.  If chip technology allows for a computer the size of your hair strand just think what that will do to us!  If a single chip can run VR into your sunglasses and you do not own the software as it is streamed on demand and you get charged each time.....would you really want that?  It maybe ok for some things but not all.  It would put too much reliance on a centralized system that maybe only the government operates....and so the gov could pull the plug anytime they want or if a tyrant got in office.  :ph34r:

On 5/19/2016 at 11:28 AM, XRobinson said:

The future tends to be more planned out then we realize when it comes to new technology.  Military is always like 10 to 20 years ahead of what the public is allowed to have.

That's the reason why military have a huge budget and do you know that touchscreen was secret military development before anyone can buy it with $100-200 and I heard that we(US) now have a sniper rifle that have a bullet that self-propelled towards the sight of the rifle. I believe that in within a decade, the casualties of US troops in middle East heavly decrease by medical care and AI robots.

But don't quote me from this, XRobinson

You're getting concern about the future but wait until the end of 2016 or shortly after E3 2016 to order to make a proper theory.

On 5/19/2016 at 11:28 AM, XRobinson said:

PS. Not coming back to this thread due to this tiff from the discussion.