Tartantyco

Interactive Layered Maps

My suggestion for how the map should work in Squad:

10cx3yz.jpg

Squad list: Lists all active squads, with collapsible roster.

Team Layer: Accessible and visible only to Squad Leaders and Commander. CO can lock players in and out of editing it.

Squad Layer: Squad specific layer, only accessible and visible to the individual squads. SL can lock SMs in and out of editing it.

Plus sign: Add layer ability. Not part of my current suggestion, simply a potential extended functionality feature.

Mouse cursor: Switch back to cursor from drawing mode.

Color palette: 9 colors for 9 fireteam presets(In line with URCS), plus black as standard. Still usable outside of any fireteam context. Obviously colors and quantity of colors can be whatever.

Edit List: List of edits made to the map. Color used for quicker identification. Hovering over edit in list highlights edit on map. Left-clicking edit in list shows editor-added text. Helps to quickly identify spammers. Right-clicking deletes selected edit. CO can delete any edit in Team Layer, SLs can only delete their own. SLs can delete any edit in Squad Layer, SMs can only delete their own.

Padlocks: Used for granting or allowing editing powers to players. Team and Squad Layer padlocks define default behavior for any new players joining. If someone makes a new squad, becoming SL, they won't immediately have access if the Team Layer is locked by default(Set by CO). The same applies for new SMs and the Squad Layer(Set by SL).

Lock/Unlock All: Allows CO to lock or unlock access to all SLs at once. Allows SL to lock or unlock access to all SMs at once.

Clear All: Allows CO to clear all Team Layer edits off the map. Allows SL to clear all Squad Layer edits off the map.

The ability to add specific icons could be accessible through right-clicking on the map, providing a list of icons to place. These would also appear in the Edit List.

There could also be the ability to write on the map.

Should be visually integrateable with the ISKLR system, could be mechanically integrated.

I like the depth and scope of your ideas. Perhaps you should consider joining the Dev team :D

This Is a grate idea and you've thought it out nicely I'd love to use this adds a nice tool for ire teams and command to use it's a bit like the bluefor tracker irl .

Love it. The ability to visually express an objective is something PR lacked very much, with SLs too heavily relying on a single marker to point SMs in a direction.

I was going to say that people would be drawing penis's left right and centre. But you thought of that already! Looks awesome, and I hope the devs take this on board.Definitely a feature that would get me interested in a game, as I'm pretty sure the only future game to implement some planning stage is Rainbow 6 Siege. As good as that looks it's no Squad :P 

great idea, indeed a must! i think though the colors should have specific pre-determined color coding.  for example: red is always attack maneuver, squad blue is defend/dig in, purple is a tank squad, etc., green is a special element (like mortars or sniper teams), etc. i think this should only be visible to other squad leaders and above, but also though the squad leaders themselves should also be able to draw on map for their squad to see too.

Best suggestion ever.

If somehow there would be the possibility for the CO to Import per-made drawings it would open up for a challenge of potential COs in public matches. And give organised matches a needed tool.

great idea, indeed a must! i think though the colors should have specific pre-determined color coding. (...)

I tried quite some similar tools. And from my experience every restriction makes it worse. I understand that for quick drawings per-determined stuff is faster. But the more complex the "battleplan" gets the more you will be using "attack markers" for sth. different as it is missing as per-built option. Simple colours and different brushes are best IMHO.

---

SRY doublepost - blame TapATalk

This is a great idea. I personally also think there should be a  "briefing/coordination phase" at the start of a round like PR  and it should show this map for everyone.  Only squadleaders and the commander are able to draw on the map at this time and this way the SLs can communicate their strategy and plan with their squadmembers.

I know you've also stated this in the first post but I agree that there should also be the ability to put down symbols/markers for FOB/mortars/supplies etc as well as supply routes and minefield layers (If mines get implemented) which are only usuable within this starting peroid to show where FOBs etc would want to be placed. I think it's a good idea in theory  but it could be bad in practise.

I would change the wood board for a tablet, to have the interactive map. While there would be 3 tablets.

The commander with fancy buttons and all comandable stuff.(all teammarkers)

The SL with less fancy buttons and all squad comandable stuff.

The regular without fancy buttons and just one ? marker to pass the SL some info like. (hey enemy squad overhere) the SL confirms and pass the info to the commander that mark that on the whole team map.

In essence:

The layered map + heroes-generals-6-1024x576.jpg+

OptiViewXG1_full.jpg

equals this =

0e9WDX0.jpg

[EDIT]: Heavy duty tablet just for exemplification All rights belong to their respective owners[/EDIT]

PS. THAT AWESOME PHOTOSHOP SKILZSZSZ :P

PS. I accept job invitations due the high photoshop skill lvl. PM-Me

Edited by AltamiroMi

I would change the wood board for a tablet, to have the interactive map. While there would be 3 tablets.

The commander with fancy buttons and all comandable stuff.(all teammarkers)

The SL with less fancy buttons and all squad comandable stuff.

The regular without fancy buttons and just one ? marker to pass the SL some info like. (hey enemy squad overhere) the SL confirms and pass the info to the commander that mark that on the whole team map.

In essence:

The layered map + heroes-generals-6-1024x576.jpg+

OptiViewXG1_full.jpg

equals this =

0e9WDX0.jpg

[EDIT]: Heavy duty tablet just for exemplification All rights belong to their respective owners[/EDIT]

PS. THAT AWESOME PHOTOSHOP SKILZSZSZ

PS. I accept job invitations due the high photoshop skill lvl. PM-Me

Fisher Price makes military grade tablets now too huh? Nice.

Fisher Price makes military grade tablets now too huh? Nice.

haha nice. I got that because I liked the little antena, but just say Heavy Duty tablet to google imagens and there is a lot of models to pick from.

I'm down - as long as we have the ability to draw dicks on the map like on blue force tracker.

My exact thought when I saw the drawing feature is as follows: "Nobody is going to do anything productive with the drawing feature. The map will literally be blocked out with dick drawings. You should never give a group of mostly 15-30 year old males the ability to draw freely."

rofl ^^        "where's my crayon?"

great job Tartantyco! nice to see the Topo too ;) although maybe topo to something like 20m or bigger elevation contours . . . ?

now if we can just have some decent icons for the map to replace the current horrible ones

Awesome work on that idea. That extended layer should go towards vehicles air or land. You can then have a squad leader coordinate a LZ or extraction point. That way you have guys in there air or ground that have things popping up on their maps as well.

But first we need to make the basics work on the normal map without hitting "enter."

I think this is good, and with the ability of commanders to lock people out if they mess around I don't think too many dicks will turn up.

I also think squad numbers should maybe locked to certain colors in the team panel.

and maybe a copy and paste ability could be handy to stop team leaders having to draw things twice between the two panes.