MultiSquid

Direct squad to squad radio

I'm just wondering, is anyone missing the direct squad-to-squad radio via the numpad keys?

For those not familiar with the PR system, if I held numpad 1, I could talk directly to squad 1, numpad 2 stood for squad 2 and so on... I mean, most of the pub squad leaders don't talk much on the radio anyway, but it seems silly that if I want to tell something to one particular squad I have to transmit to every other squad leader as well. It could help clear out the comms clutter which sometimes occurs if you happen to end up in a chatty team. I can imagine this will be much more useful once the whole logistics system is implemented so we wouldn't have to negotiate supply drops while spamming the radio for every other squad leader, but I was just wondering why we don't have something like this already :ph34r:

Edited by MultiSquid

Mumble   

I believe this is planned for the future. In the prealpha, there were key settings in the options page that allowed you to set keys for that functionality (Even if you set them, they didn't work yet though). They might still be there, I haven't looked. I made a reddit post about direct SL-to-SL comms, but didn't get a specific answer.

Psyrus   

Since there isn't the 9-squad limit like there was in PR (and I hope the # of squads isn't limited like it was in BF2), I think something a bit more like ARMA's radio system, where you could cycle through the radio channels for the squads would work the best. That way we could also include configurable squad-groupings, such as "attacking squads" and "vehicle squads" etc. It loses some of the beautiful simplicity that PR had, but in this case I think the tradeoff is worth it. 

Barring that, I suppose you could just assign an ALT key. 

kp 1-0 = squads 1-10

alt + kp 1-10 = squads 11-20

I don't really see why there would need to be more than 20 squads on a team of max 50 players. 

its still in the control settings, but its not working yet is it? Also who is Squad 0? is that Squad 10? or would Squad Alpha be squad 0 in comms And Bravo Squad 1?

its still in the control settings, but its not working yet is it? Also who is Squad 0? is that Squad 10? or would Squad Alpha be squad 0 in comms And Bravo Squad 1?

Dude, nobody uses squad names in squad to squad communication, it's always squad numbers instead. Alpha bravo charlie and so on are just default names if the squad leader doesn't enter custom name when creating a squad.

Odoslané z GT-I9505 pomocou Tapatalku

Just now, MultiSquid said:

Dude, nobody uses squad names in squad to squad communication, it's always squad numbers instead. Alpha bravo charlie and so on are just default names if the squad leader doesn't enter custom name when creating a squad.

i know that you just use the numbers.. i just thought it would make it more clear what i was saying.

Is Squad Alpha squad 0 on comms sounds better than Is Squad 1 Squad 0 in Comms? Doesnt it?

i know that you just use the numbers.. i just thought it would make it more clear what i was saying.

Is Squad Alpha squad 0 on comms sounds better than Is Squad 1 Squad 0 in Comms? Doesnt it?

Sounds better but using numbers is more practical than using squad names, which may be long, stupid or just plain unpronounceable. I usually name my public squad Butt Pirates, now that would be an awkward thing to hear in squad radio

yessnoo   

MultiSquid is missing the point of your question I think.

I think numpad 0 will most likely be commander chat.....in PR squad 1 or alpha was numpad 1

but who knows how the devs will implement

But when I ask Helicopter #3 to give me a medium crate at F8-kp4, I want to make damn sure all of the other Squad Leaders have no choice but to listen to my entire conversation with the helicopter pilot!!

Edited by Nightingale
colors

Brisk   

Take it a step further and prohibit SLs from communicating with ALL other SLs at the same time. That's been the cause of so much communication clutter, and it should be a job only for the commander.

Edited by Brisk

Mumble   
11 minutes ago, Brisk said:

Take it a step further and prohibit SLs from communicating with ALL other SLs at the same time. That's been the cause of so much communication clutter, and it should be a job only for the commander.

Definitely a good idea, Brisk. The only time where it's handy to have SL-all chat is the beginning of the match so squads can coordinate. This might not be as big of an issue if a commander is delegating orders though.

3e58i   

I don't mind actually. It gives me a new challenge aspect of the game where voice procedure starts to become useful. I would rather have an indicator for squad members that show when the CMD radio is transmitting so they can gauge when the SL can be expected to hear you. Or that feature when one radio channel is heard in one speaker each.

Risks with this idea:

- Potentially higher risk of missent comms.

- Less opportunity to learn from others' way of speaking.

- Drama and bullying between squads can become more hidden.

- May unintentionally worsen or hide problems that it is supposed to fix. Imagine having two SLs radio you at the same time. And what if you can't tell them apart by voice?

- Dedicating the keypad may be a big cost for some. And if we can have a high number of squads it may not be enough. Maybe use a next/previous channel function instead?

Elirah   
On 5/24/2016 at 4:07 PM, 3e58i said:

Risks with this idea:

1 Potentially higher risk of missent comms.

2 Less opportunity to learn from others' way of speaking.

3 Drama and bullying between squads can become more hidden.

4 May unintentionally worsen or hide problems that it is supposed to fix. Imagine having two SLs radio you at the same time. And what if you can't tell them apart by voice?

5 Dedicating the keypad may be a big cost for some. And if we can have a high number of squads it may not be enough. Maybe use a next/previous channel function instead?

1 true

2 i dont think thats a problem at all. There is no right and wrong.

3 it lessens i would say. Why would i bully someone if no one else is noticing? It would be just an argument between two squadleaders, and thats fine!

4 "Squad 1 this is squad two" - waiting for response, problem solved

5 If its too much for you dont be squadleader.