With last update we got a new model of binos for russian forces, so I decided to write about binos in general. Lets start with russian ones.

In-game russian binoculars are heavily based on commercial (just look at amount of markings in English) BPOs 10x42 "Baigish" made by "Kazan Optical-Mechanical Plant". This model was never adopted by russian military. Additionaly, magnification of model doesn't match with actual in-game magnification of these binoculars.

bpcs_10x42_add2_b.jpg

Next: US binoculars. In-game model is based on 7x50 M22 Binoculars (M22 is a type of reticle actually), made by Steiner Optics and adopted in 1985. First Gulf War (1991) showed a bunch of issues with this model and Steiner bunoculars were quickly replaced with model made by Fujinon and distributed by Northrop Grumman based on 7x50 FMT series. This model is standard-issue binoculars for today, while Steiner model is being phased out since 1991.

UpVGfA2.jpg

And Fujinon replacement:

00293.JPG 1280px-thumbnail.jpg

As lighter and more compact addition, in 2002 US Military got 7x28 M24 binoculars, based on Fujinon KF series, this model quickly became the most popular among US servicemen due to decent view and easy handling.

28bcb9fded5b522309f68a2e87ea1749.jpg

Insurgency/Militia binos are 6x30 Bi-6 model made by "Kazan Optical-Mechanical Plant" in 1946.

ris1.jpg

As you see, all real prototypes of in-game binos have different magnification, while in-game binos have the same one. I think that matching stats of in-game binos with real ones could be not only realism, but gameplay feature as well. For example, if Militia will get current russian 10X BPOs, it would compensate their lack of optical sights with better observation possibilities.

US model is outdated for Squad timeline (at least for Army, Marines love vintage).

Russian military has tons of mil-spec 7-8X binoculars, implementing of one of these models would be nice both gameplay and authenticity addition.

Legendary B7x30 "Secunda"

post-106-0-95882300-1333730597.jpg

B8Mx30:

PXnIZQm.jpg

B7x35:

ozXchwv.jpg

BPSh8x30

449XN2l.jpg

Make first,think later...

Damn,didn't devs have Russian MA?

p.s. didn't checked yet.

Edited by samogon

11 minutes ago, samogon said:

Make first,think later...

Damn,didn't devs have Russian MA?

p.s. didn't checked yet.

I don't think he is responsible for that. "Baigish" models and Bi-6s are in the first line of pictures when you google "russian binos" and "soviet binos".

9 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

I don't think he is responsible for that. "Baigish" models and Bi-6s are in the first line of pictures when you google "russian binos" and "soviet binos".

Nope,Soviet Military Binocular.First picture is BPSh 8x30 :)

Well,actually binocular aren't much important.Even uniform isn't 100% correct,but it still make immersion.

It's not one of those games,who went to realism,just a BF,but less casual.

Edited by samogon

21 minutes ago, samogon said:

Nope,Soviet Military Binocular.First picture is BPSh 8x30 :)

Well,actually binocular aren't much important.Even uniform isn't 100% correct,but it still make immersion.

It's not one of those games,who went to realism,just a BF,but less casual.

If it costs nothing for you to make something right, what's the reason to make it wrong?

4 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

If it costs nothing for you to make something right, what's the reason to make it wrong?

No,but it's done already.It's mistake,but not so serious as KS-23.

I actually like the depth it brings to each faction to have the correct type of equipment they're likely to be using. I don't think it need addressing just at the moment but once we get into the fine tuning stage it would be nice if the devs could consider the more accurate binos in game.

Damn it, devs :) Excellent thread, hopefully OWI looks into this in the future. If not... Rely On The Modders™.

Was watching a Squad vid where a SL was using his binos and thought how it could be better.

1. The zoomed screen view is still to be changed I guess but it really needs the circular view port you get from real binos.
  2. They could include a depth of field mechanic where you use your mouse scroll wheel to focus for different distances. It would stop the raise binos and instantly see everything in the field of view. 

Probably both been suggested before but here was a good a place to repost it as anywhere.

pocketlake.jpg

I used a pair of these back in camp Very useful in Mountain Area

Edited by Nemesis

4 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Was watching a Squad vid where a SL was using his binos and thought how it could be better.

1. The zoomed screen view is still to be changed I guess but it really needs the circular view port you get from real binos.
  2. They could include a depth of field mechanic where you use your mouse scroll wheel to focus for different distances. It would stop the raise binos and instantly see everything in the field of view. 

Probably both been suggested before but here was a good a place to repost it as anywhere.

I think a FOV zoom as well as a magnification zoom are must-haves, the latter especially for scopes. Would be annoying to use a 5-25x Schmidt & Bender and only be able to zoom on 25x.