looter

Squad Creation - Mic Required Checkbox and Icon

Feature Vote  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Great idea!
    • Terrible idea!

After some discussion in another thread, a few people agree'd that one of the ways we could eliminate the friction that has existed since PR between mic-players and no-mic players getting kicked out of a squad due to it being made for one or the other is creating a checkbox for an option during squad creation named "Mic Required". Checking this box would put a green-highlighted mic symbol next to the squad's title, leaving it unchecked would make it have a grayed out mic symbol. This also let's us get rid of the meta of putting VOIP, VOIP Only, or whatever in a Squad's name taking up valuable space.

This way players can easily tell if they need a Mic to play in a certain squad or not, minus the drama.

Edited by looter

If a squad is mic only it's usually indicated by the word "mic" in its name which is quite self-explanatory. You could change that to a graphical symbol of a microphone, but it still won't prevent players without the microphones from joining, especially if they're new and don't really know what they're doing.

Yeah, I don't see how having an icon is different or better than just adding "voip" or "mic only" to you squad name.

This idea is not a bad one...

But I think it'd be even better to just have mic-required servers for mic-users and no-mic servers for non-mic-users.

6 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Yeah, I don't see how having an icon is different or better than just adding "voip" or "mic only" to you squad name.

It would be different because the game would automatically prevent them from joining the "mic only" squads if the user hadn't run the mic-configuration tool in the settings menu (or when installing squad) ^_^

Edited by Psyrus

I quite agree with nightingale. Server admins should be able to make their server mic-required. Balancing wise, it would do wonders for the player experience. Matches that end with one team steamrolling another, is usually a result of the winning team communicating with VOIP. As to the losing team having only a portion who use it. I rage quit matches (or switch teams) due to the majority of my team not communicating with VOIP, more than I do to because I'm on the incredibly weaker faction. I've witnessed, from both sides, the Militia steamrolling the US on an open desert map, because the majority of the Militia are using VOIP. I will trade in my optics for a VOIP using team every single time. However, I shouldn't have to make that choice. VOIP teamwork is too powerful of a weapon to be left up to "chance". It should be available to all or no one in a match. I stopped playing Battlefield because of the lack of mechanics that demanded teamwork powered by VOIP. That's why I chose SQUAD.

I can have my mic plugged in but its still sitting on my floor not being used,
It would still let me into the squad / server :P

its a hard thing to enforce with coding really.

Hopefully they have a vote kick player mechanic in soon. For other reasons besides just the mic issue. I guess this forum topic is unnecessary once they implement the commander role. Assuming he'll have the power to remove players who refuse play the game it was meant to be. doing something like that is trolling in my opinion.

Edited by PotentxPotential
one less post

Someone can code an artificial voice to be used by key commands so someone can play without ever uttering a word.  A challange to any coders out there make it so! Wow might even be able to sell this idea for profit! A chat box that has a artificial voice that says everything you type into it? :)

Edited by XRobinson

How bout having logo if you have a mic?

I know nobody likes the comorose like they had in BF2 and 1942, but it worked and you learned foreign languages...and I didnt have to hear squeaky kids voices and their antics!  Its way better to have than not to have wouldnt you say! :)

Someone can code an artificial voice to be used by key commands so someone can play without ever uttering a word.  A challange to any coders out there make it so! Wow might even be able to sell this idea for profit! A chat box that has a artificial voice that says everything you type into it?

Miss Google can already do so.

try out the Google translater.

12 hours ago, SuicidalChair said:

True but the cases of "has a mic but refuses to use it" would hopefully be lower than "doesn't have a mic". It just cuts down on a bunch of unnecessary "faff" imo (mic check one by one with squad members)

If we're going to have mic-only servers and no-mic-required servers, I imagine the latter will be like a trash bin for the leftovers! Not yet sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Edited by fatalsushi

On 5/11/2016 at 6:54 AM, SuicidalChair said:

This is true, but it's easier for admins to deal with 3 micless players instead of 22 micless players.

Although, if I was a server owner, I'd personally use an external whitelist system to be choosy about what kinds of players get to join the server. Just having a working microphone is not always enough. I think the baseline for player competency, on an English-speaking teamwork-based server with high expectations of players, should be this:

• has a working microphone
  • is able to read the latin alphabet (as opposed to only Chinese logograms or only the Cyrillic alphabet)
  • is able to understand a simple English sentence such as "Let's wait for the rest of the squad to get here before we start shooting those guys."
  • is willing to spend the 120 seconds needed to complete an automatic whitelist form in order to get added to the server's whitelist.

11 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

If we're going to have mic-only servers and no-mic-required servers, I imagine the latter will be like a trash bin for the leftovers! Not yet sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Yes, that is what would happen. But I think this will bring benefits, as it would probably encourage micless players to get a mic in order to join in on the "good" gameplay of the other servers.

Edited by Nightingale