Captain Fubar

scoped .50 cal emplacement

There was zoom on the 50 cals in PR, so I guess something similar has a good chance of being implemented in squad. Especially if the epic long-distance-blurriness is set to remain as a squad "feature"

28 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

There was zoom on the 50 cals in PR, so I guess something similar has a good chance of being implemented in squad. Especially if the epic long-distance-blurriness is set to remain as a squad "feature"

I wouldn't call it a zoom, it was still iron sights. I'm talking about having a acog, c79 scope or something

I wouldn't call it a zoom, it was still iron sights. I'm talking about having a acog, c79 scope or something

They wanted to fit optics to them but didn't have the man power so they just implemented iron sights zoom (4x I think) with the right click. I wouldn't mind the same thing in squad but depending on how they've set it up, it might be easily attached as a child object (so they don't have to export a separate iron sight and scoped version)

hmm not sure on how I feel about this I have a feeling like 50s are going to be rather deadly through simple irons as is a scope might be over kill but i could be wrong i guess we'll have to use them first to really determine 

All long range kits are deadly in open maps, hopefully one or two urban maps will turn up one day.

2 hours ago, Tbova said:

hmm not sure on how I feel about this I have a feeling like 50s are going to be rather deadly through simple irons as is a scope might be over kill but i could be wrong i guess we'll have to use them first to really determine 

Before the 50 cals in PR had their zoom they was only Cannonfooder.  Problem is that Squad/PR Weapons are Still aim to good.

In my Point of view. Add Camo Webs to the Assets, only from inside nearly Invisible, and from outside hard to spot the Man inside.

1 hour ago, Royal Deluxe said:

Before the 50 cals in PR had their zoom they was only Cannonfooder.  Problem is that Squad/PR Weapons are Still aim to good.

In my Point of view. Add Camo Webs to the Assets, only from inside nearly Invisible, and from outside hard to spot the Man inside.

if you was once a gunner in the 50 cal you always know where he is and can shot him down no matter what.

The PR solution was fine and i didnt see any issues with it.

In PR the .50 cal emplacemets started out as just a gun that was more accurate and did a bit more damage than rifles, but with the drawback of being stationary. That turned out to be a strategically  almost useless weapon, since its simply way too easy to kill the gunner. Since then the devs added zoom to the weapon AND gave its bullets splash damage on impact, but even so its still a weapon thats not used much, because the gunner is so vulnerable.

I think the lessons from PR is that a scope is definitely needed, but it might not even be enough to make the weapon usefull. 

More limited; longer cooldown? I mean, one RPG or nade can take it out or even a rifleman can shoot out the gunner. I won't be that hard to take down anything with the teamwork the Squad promotes in my mind. To add on to that, the M2 has limited traverse on its M3 tripod which it is emplaned on. Pop a few smokes, have your squad suppress from a flank maybe, and chances are the gunner will get out, making him a easy target. If no, then have like a 2 man fireteam move in from the other flank. Of course, they'd probably run into an enemy squad, but that's what suppression is for, to keep the enemies heads down and to give a chance to slaughter 'dem sonovabitches!

8 hours ago, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

More limited; longer cooldown? I mean, one RPG or nade can take it out or even a rifleman can shoot out the gunner. I won't be that hard to take down anything with the teamwork the Squad promotes in my mind. To add on to that, the M2 has limited traverse on its M3 tripod which it is emplaned on. Pop a few smokes, have your squad suppress from a flank maybe, and chances are the gunner will get out, making him a easy target. If no, then have like a 2 man fireteam move in from the other flank. Of course, they'd probably run into an enemy squad, but that's what suppression is for, to keep the enemies heads down and to give a chance to slaughter 'dem sonovabitches!

See, how many efforts does it require to calm down only one machinegunner, not to say it could be still not enough to suppress a well protected and placed firing position?

Viewing distances and picture quality of PR reduce the effectiveness of unscoped guns, but we are talking about UE4 game. Go to Jensen's Range, look at the distances and imagine that you have one-shot kill, almost recoiless, automatic gun with decent ballistics. Zoom is not necessary for this type of weapon.

On 5/11/2016 at 4:33 AM, ZiGreen said:

See, how many efforts does it require to calm down only one machinegunner, not to say it could be still not enough to suppress a well protected and placed firing position?

Viewing distances and picture quality of PR reduce the effectiveness of unscoped guns, but we are talking about UE4 game. Go to Jensen's Range, look at the distances and imagine that you have one-shot kill, almost recoiless, automatic gun with decent ballistics. Zoom is not necessary for this type of weapon.

1. Keep throwable/shootable explosives in the picture.

2. Smokes and cover are essential, no matter what. Exposed it unexposed, any emplacement is a liability.

3. Ammo and overheating. Wasting your ammo though where the shots are coming from, though a cloud of smoke is the ultimate distraction, and long bursts can lead to overheating.

4. Keep traversal in the picture.

Just think of this:

On 5/10/2016 at 10:15 PM, Tbova said:

.50s will be rather deadly bc irl they are fucking death machines!

I'd say see how it balances out. First iteration has no scopes. If they are worse than expected and pot-shotters are taking them out, then try a scope for the second iteration, or change the model of how the character sits behind the gun so it's more protective.

My biggest fear for Humvee gunner or Bunker 50 cal gunner is that he will easily be shot by ordinary rifleman because its easy to shoot in the game currently. I got a feeling if you leave a guy watching that fifty from some 400 meters away he could easily "snipe" any gunner who tries to use it in couple of seconds. Thats because he is stationary inside on that fifty where he can't do these gamey matrix twitch body movements left and right to evade incoming bullets like Neo, thats what lots of people do in squad.

How I would like these bunker eplacements to be is, hard to attack from the front, I don't have any solution in mind other than lower profile of a soldier standing inside and/or easier to shoot from the inside out, a net thats covering the bunker would hide the gunner aswell, that would do the trick aswell.

Out of all these features I think Squad really needs proper body momentum, and speed first, because infantry is the base of everything. Now I know Devs are going to lower running speed when vehicles come, but lowering running speed is not enough, there must be a body momentum aswell + it would be a right time to start  testing it now (without vehicles), I have done more than enough tests with current system with 720+ hours played and  these twitchy body movements and speed lead to nothing other than another fast paced FPS with no time to do proper teamplay.

Edited by Rainmaker

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 9:47 AM, Royal Deluxe said:

Yes, because

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 1:19 PM, Gorzu said:

the gunner is so vulnerable.

I think the lessons from PR is that a scope is definitely needed, but it might not even be enough to make the weapon usefull. 

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 11:35 AM, Phoenixstorm said:

if you was once a gunner in the 50 cal you always know where he is and can shot him down no matter what.

The PR solution was fine and i didnt see any issues with it.

Yes, but if sitting pos is shifted when shooting angled this makes it less easy and maybe he could duck down while seated (not beeing able to aim ofc).

I hope theres option to choose scope or ironsight.. i would like to have a option to take optics off from any gun even if its a long animation. :D 

On 5/13/2016 at 2:43 PM, gunbattle said:

On 5/10/2016 at 1:15 AM, Tbova said:

.50s will be rather deadly bc irl they are fucking death machines!

I agree IRL their death machines but like wise they also take the most return fire in game their going to get rpg gld and sniped all at once

Pretty sure that's an XM806, which is .50 Cal but is not an M2. In reality, the M2 isn't often deployed with an optic, but when it is it's an Trijicon TA648. That being said, I think it would make fortifications a bit overpowered. 

23 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

I think it would make fortifications a bit overpowered...

I agree, unless we get access to air vehicles or mortars. 

Just now, PROTOCOL said:

I agree, unless we get access to air vehicles or mortars. 

You see, I think that would be good because it would mean defeating a heavily fortified enemy position would require proper tactics. An M2 with an x6 ACOG would be devastating as far as the view distance goes, so you would need combined arms warfare to beat it. 

6 hours ago, Tbova said:

I agree IRL their death machines but like wise they also take the most return fire in game their going to get rpg gld and sniped all at once

i agree, and thats what balances it. and i think irl machine gunners have a relatively low life expectancy

5 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

Pretty sure that's an XM806, which is .50 Cal but is not an M2. In reality, the M2 isn't often deployed with an optic, but when it is it's an Trijicon TA648. That being said, I think it would make fortifications a bit overpowered. 

once vehicles come in they will bring their own heavy machine guns and auto cannons, and theres mortars coming too so, a .50 will be about in the middle from small arms to 120mm tank shells. def not op