El Duderino

Voice volume adjustment for each player

Hey guys,

to make it short: I started playing PlanetSide 2 some days ago. A very cool option there is that you can regulate the voice volume for each player with + and - button on the numpad.

A functionality like this for Squad would be very nice, as sometimes you almost can't hear a guy in your squad but on the other hand some guys are to loud.

What do you think?

Certainly has merit, but I think that those players should just be told. Make them fix it themselves so it's not an issue that has to be resolved by every player they come across because players from other squads will not have the patience to fix comms with some idiot for another squad in the heat of a firefight, as for squad leader... I think maybe he should have the power to adjust for the whole squad, the. He can adjust problem players and maybe mute squad comms so he can contact the other squad leaders.

just my two cents.

The dude has spoken. You must abide. And legit, this is extremely useful. Even though we haven't had any game-breaking idiots yet, we're bound too. Goddamnit, hell,  even every round in Project Reality has that one douche... So it's best if we could selectively do this through the idea given by Lebowski.

Like "not brad" said.  Until now i never had a chase where the Other Person was not willed to adjust his settings. Most player are happy, and apologize for the effort.

But hey,

Squad is about Teamwork !

And finally a good server will have an reachable Admin, if someone is intentional not tolerable, have a talk with the admin. But like i said, until now i never had (Because of Voip)

Edited by Royal Deluxe

Personally, I haven't had any problems either. I simply tell people that they sound really quiet/loud/distorted/mumbled/ etc..., and 95% of them are able to immediately fix it. 4% of them aren't able to fix it but are polite and try their best to adapt, so I let them hang out with the Squad. 

And I simply kick the last 1% out of the Squad...

be sure that if you came up with an idea from a diff game , the devs already know and thought about it and it was probably been spoken about in the forums before.

like others said here , if someone's yelling or whispering just ask them to speak down or up and they'll adjust if they care .. they don't care the sl will already kick him from the squad..

Good idea in general, I'd love to see it in game.

I don't get you guys. In game VOIP should be as comfortable to use as possible, simple annoyances can go a long way. I know that it's all about teamwork, but in terms of convenience settings, such as mic volume, the more you can personalize and the less you have to rely on others, the better. You shouldn't expect 8 other people to adapt to your personal volume preferences. Some might find my volume just fine, while others might want me to talk louder; there's always going to be variation. Geting kicked from the squad (or the server? guys pls.) because of mic volume does not really promote teamwork, nor is it welcoming for people who are new to the whole VOIP business. And it's definitely not something that should require admin to solve.

13 hours ago, Aleon said:

Good idea in general, I'd love to see it in game.

I don't get you guys. In game VOIP should be as comfortable to use as possible, simple annoyances can go a long way. I know that it's all about teamwork, but in terms of convenience settings, such as mic volume, the more you can personalize and the less you have to rely on others, the better. You shouldn't expect 8 other people to adapt to your personal volume preferences. Some might find my volume just fine, while others might want me to talk louder; there's always going to be variation. Geting kicked from the squad (or the server? guys pls.) because of mic volume does not really promote teamwork, nor is it welcoming for people who are new to the whole VOIP business. And it's definitely not something that should require admin to solve.

indeed VOIP should be comfortable to use - so we all use it.

settings like this are not a convenience but merely another layer of complex gimickery we as players have to deal with and personally i would not want to have to fiddle with settings like this every round - pain in the arse!

yes i do expect others to adjust their volumes (to an average kind of level for the game, in general), just as they set all their other settings for playing - its not hard to work out after a couple of minutes playing time.

agreed. kicking for unsuitable audio levels might be seen as harsh but if there are peeps that refuse to do anything about very low or very high levels, then yes they should be asked to leave - just like any loudmouth would be asked to leave IRL

if     

P1 = "can't hear you" / "too load"

then

P2  = adjusts volume to suit     //does not include: function(effort)

endif

ateotd: im playing a Game not training as a Mix-Panel operator ;) 

It seems some guys doesn't really understand how simple the volume adjustment in PS2 is. Anyways. Some don't need that functionality, some want it. So what about a vote?

PS2 is not really a Game i would use the Communications as role model.

If the other player adjust the input from these Players

X Adjust the to loud player Y

a hour later Y adjust his volumes (because of friendly asking SL)

next map X is SL of Y.  He never hear him. = Mess

7 hours ago, Royal Deluxe said:

PS2 is not really a Game i would use the Communications as role model.

If the other player adjust the input from these Players

X Adjust the to loud player Y

a hour later Y adjust his volumes (because of friendly asking SL)

next map X is SL of Y.  He never hear him. = Mess

Yes, in PS2 it isn't realised like intended for Squad...you can absolutely mute a player. Maybe a threshold (max. +/- 10-20dB for example). Or a mic output threshold which means the mic output can't override a specific dB value. If its under the lower threshold, it will be raised to value between the both thresholds. Maybe there exists already such a functionality in UE4.11 or within XAudio2 (where the sound system of UE4 for windows PCs and XBox is based on).

Edited by El Duderino