Socrates

Tips and Feedback for Situation - Pinned Down On the Road

Hello my friends! I have a video demonstrating a situation in which a squad is trying to push towards the next attack point, but gets pinned down in the middle of the road. 

In this video, the squad decided to stay, and push out with fortifications towards the attack objective. 

The other squads were trying to recapture the previous points while the squad in the video kept the enemies busy at the road.

What would you do? I would like to get some feedback so I can try new things. 

This is a common situation that happens in many Squad matches, where a squad gets pinned down on the road.

Pop smoke and move or just get the hell off that road - a road is for all intensive purposes a fire lane. There is no cover or concealment on any piece of flat bare ground, alas the best course of action, if you want to live you must relocate to cover and/or concealment.

You build a FOB with good seable Assets and long range free field around it and wonder why the enemy found and shoot you ?

You know enemy know that you are somewhere on 1000 m² and the enemy can be on 125633 m² (Circle 200m radius)

Yes in reality this works maybe, but in reality everything is slower

(Think about how much time you spend on recognizing enemys and how long to aim and shoot)

And you let your man shevel covers UNDER FIRE ?

Sollution =

Remove FOB

retreat

Build a new hidden fob

Attack from Flanks

Edited by Royal Deluxe

There's never much point staying down there. Don't be a afraid to dig up your fob and take it somewhere else.. There are 2 benefits to this- you tie up enemy resources while they look for a non-existent fob, and you can actually make your squad useful by getting to a flag instead of simply lingering around loosing tickets off-cap. Fortifying fobs is a complete waste of time at this stage of development- just put it down a fair distance from where the enemy will likely go and use your rally's wisely.

*make sure you have a safe rally before removing a fob though, you cant rely on other squads to actually do what they say lol.

There's pinned down and there's 1000+ resources dumped into a stretch of road. TBH your squad comes under heavy fire maybe try another approach? I'm aware drop a su[erFoB is your first instict but idk if its the best idea. If a superFoB is going to be dumped 100+ metres from a point it should atleast be operating at a kill profit, but in this match it only served as an RU farm beacon. Luckily it seems a combination of Squad 3 and US spawn bias was enough to carry the round, but overall I'd say you guys operated at a loss. 

I would:

- place your fob as a single radio in the drainage ditch to the south of that crossroads. This puts your whole team on their flank, in cover, hidden and firing down the road to the west and the road to the north. There is almost zero cover for the enemy on that southern and western road (no trees).

- move down that drainage ditch and tell your squad members to stay low and out of sight. 

- once the fob has been placed, flank south west through the dense tree cover behind the ruins and move up the most southern wall to the cap point, having been seen by nobody. 

- place your rally in the trees to the S of the cap, about 140 m before you enter the cap compound (which is north of you)

- enter cap from SW approach and take it or kill all the enemies from behind

Once vehicles and static MG's are placed in game people will quickly realise roads = death.

Edited by +++++

Roads = "Why i have only one Mine ?"  xD

At least if it will be like in PR

But you are right, mostly nobody used the 50 cal Really in PR, i loved them, best round i killed 18-22 Enemy in 5 Minutes. Took all the same way, good for me bad for them

Edited by Royal Deluxe

If they have fire superiority, disengage. Fall back, and move to a flank, preferably a flank towards a friendly unit thereby giving you a stronger front line.

Avoid getting caught out in the open. Roads are for moving on or across, unless you have good cover at your back and flanks and want to make a statement to the enemy with your FOB. In your video, your backside is completely exposed to 180 degrees of fire.

In my opinion, your tactic could work, so long as it is temporary and only meant to provide a base of cover while other elements flank the enemy that you are engaging.

So I finally watched the video... Wow, I and dumbfounded. What did you think you accomplished there other than being a shooting gallery for the enemy? You let an element of at most possibly four guys lock down your full squad for over 18 minutes! You literally gained less than two hundred meters during that video and against minimal resistance.

1. You already had a forward RP, there was no need to relocate you FOB more forward.
  2. You did not utilize hard cover. There was a compound less than thirty meters to your west-southwest. Quit placing objects and secure that compound. it provides better cover and is not a big sign to the enemy that gives away your position.
  3. You never maneuver and allow the enemy to hit you from multiple sides. This kept your element on the defensive against a smaller force.
  4. Use lulls in the shooting to move to an advantageous position instead of playing FOBcraft in a disadvantageous one.
  5.  Take the high ground. It is less than 200 meters south of your position and is the commanding feature of that sector.
  6. Maintain the initiative. If you lose the initiative be proactive to gain it. You were content to let the enemy keep you boxed in on ground of his choosing which gave him easy kills.

I realize that round was a win for you and you were distracting part of the enemy force but that action is a net loss for your team. A full sized or organized squad is going to suppress and grenade you to death and take out your RP and disable your FOB all in one movement. Furthermore, your position was not worth fighting over. It did not control a major axis of approach. It did not defend an objective. It did not support an assault on an enemy objective. 

On the flip side, your FOB is in a good position to support the team but you need to take advantage of that and push. Maneuver is the essence of modern warfare.

Also, I lol'd when you asked if anyone needed ammo and there were four ammo crates all less than 120 meters away. Seriously man, chillax on the building. Everytime you died was because you were trying to build something without first securing the area or at least ordering a security element ahead of you.

17 minutes ago, =AMG=Cheesy_LeScrub said:

You needed more anti-grenade barriers to protect your barren patch of road.

Mean but true. 

I would have been so angry had I been another SL on your team. 

An adept Squad can get from that defensive point to the cap point in about 2 minutes. 18 minutes of being "pinned down" would have made me rage.

I like your attitude to situations Socrates, and your positive play style and the fact that you try to engage with the game mechanics at face value, but competitively the FOB defenses are currently trash and put you in a much worse position than simply hiding them. 

7 hours ago, +++++ said:

I would have been so angry had I been another SL on your team.

For the team it was maby not so bad. I spoke above about the squad.

For the team they played the bait.

Can be very helpfull

(But i dont watch the Vid now again^^)

Edited by Royal Deluxe

7 hours ago, PolishKruk said:

Furthermore, your position was not worth fighting over.

^this is the most important point @PolishKruk made.

Always keep in mind your main goal, which should be winning the game. If you're not contributing to this main goal, you are most likely wasting time and more importantly tickets. If you're fighting, you should be aiming to take more tickets from the enemy than you lose in the process, if that's not the case, you should retreat and change approach, because otherwise you're losing the game for your team. If you're building FOBs, you should be building them so they're useful for  your team, not just build them in the middle of nowhere and attract enemy fire. Fighting over a position which is not important just for the sake of fighting is a waste of tickets.

7 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Hold out in the fob and wait for the deployment of the .50 cal. ;)

It's not a wonder weapon and its cone of fire is limited.

I would have put a tubenader on that hesco bunker (and RPG dude also somewhere to overwatch), since it did seem to have good visibility, then someone scouting enemies and pinpointing them to the grenadier, ammo, but not too pleasant of the spot to be alone. This to minute 4 or so.  ...For me the worst thing were that you didn't know where the enemies are since everyone were hiding on that road, while for enemy it were obvious where you are. Judging from the map you were pretty much in the right position what comes to CPs and ie. Squad no.4. Maybe if you would have had a marksman pulled a bit behind giving intel and keeping your sides clean from lone enemies would have been beneficial also. Moves that are hard for me due the poor english, but you have the ability communicate those clearly for team mates.

On the other hand if the S4 would have been a bit more south along that N-S road you might have been in better position to support each other with ranged weapons.

Rest.. for minute 0..8.

minute 9, Also prone.. Why didn't you push firmly to the comboud front of you it would have given better foothold and visibility to fields... Team radio were pretty silent, you didn't get much of a feedback from the SL1,3 (at North & NW)

Minute 12..14 or so: Why are you running around middle of the road alone, while your SQD is hiding in the armory?

You should not only get out of the way but delete your Steam account.

So all told have a nice day man, it's not a reflection on you as a person.

Really

Men i believe you have never had a really bad Squadleader.

Squad is new, the players are new (Except all the PR Veterans)

So it is no wonder that new Squadleaders need to learn, and that means they need to make mistakes.

Finally he comes here and ask what he have done wrong.

You instead... First Post...

And you can write a million times that it is not personal, for me its not ok to attack others without need like you did it.

He was on a Position near 3 Objectives, so not so bad at all

He spoke with his men

He gave his best

Maybe you can learn something from him

Edited by Royal Deluxe

The guy is hardly new.

I have learned from it - it's like bizzaro squad. Just do the opposite and everything should be OK.

I have nothing against him and honestly do wish him well. At the end of the day this is a videogame and his life will contain far more important things in it. I wish him every success in all of those endeavors.

@poopoopeepee Don't hide behind the veil of anonymity to bully Socrates. That wasn't constructive criticism, that was just being an asshole. I get that you don't want to deal with Socrates at all, but that's not the proper way of going about it. Making a new account just to make fun of someone is pretty appalling.

44 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Thanks very much for the feedback so far everyone! You all rock!

Its crazy. I'm not a fan of how you operated in that clip and apparently others aren't either but all of us realize you are still enjoying the game and it seems that your squad is enjoying it too. To me, that is the biggest role of a squad leader, to make sure that his squad is having fun win or lose and you seem to have a solid formula for that so keep it up. I will continue to critique your tactical knowledge but don't let us stop you from having fun as long as it is not at the expense of your team.

50 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

Its crazy. I'm not a fan of how you operated in that clip and apparently others aren't either but all of us realize you are still enjoying the game and it seems that your squad is enjoying it too [snip] I will continue to critique your tactical knowledge but don't let us stop you from having fun as long as it is not at the expense of your team.

This.

Don't be an arsehole, PooPooPeePee (if it's possible... with a username like that).

I can't think of a game more fitting of the phrase "it's not the winning that counts but the taking part". I've had some of my best games where my team lost but I had a lot of fun with good bunch of players. I am not meaning goofing around either.

A SL has a big part to play in making the game experience a fun one.

teammates = bait (dont tell them)

sometimes known as flanking :) 

always flank, always

simple rule: 

if team mate within 5m

move away

else

tell them to move away

else if

die holding hands

Edited by suds