Chuc

April 2016 Monthly Recap

I remember playing those old single player ww2 games...where you had a sniper rifle limited ammo and objective was to get inside compound without the alarm going off....and get to objective to complete mission.  Takes some strategy and planning on how to get by guards.....think any modders will make SP Squad levels like this?

MP could have limited number of recon squads so not every squad is a recon squad...but this has already been discussed ad infinitum.

2 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

I remember playing those old single player ww2 games...where you had a sniper rifle limited ammo and objective was to get inside compound without the alarm going off....and get to objective to complete mission.  Takes some strategy and planning on how to get by guards.....think any modders will make SP Squad levels like this?

MP could have limited number of recon squads so not every squad is a recon squad...but this has already been discussed ad infinitum.

I see no reason not to, but I have played the recon role before as a 3-4 man squad and it is quite rewarding, especially on Chora where discovering reinforcement routes and FOB locations is so crucial to winning. Most of the time though being recon consists of wandering around from area to area very slowly and not engaging enemies you can't beat, realistic, but not as fun as all out war to some. Personally I love it, reminds me of the slow pacing from my A3/A2 days.

3 hours ago, Fripp said:

i wanna know that to im sick of the 15 fps gameplay

You would think a thread for updates and such would actually HAVE UPDATES.  Implementation of the new UE4.11 engine is the biggest deal now and I haven't heard a peep on how its going and if its going to make this playable without a cray super computer!!

2 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Takes some strategy and planning on how to get by guards.....think any modders will make SP Squad levels like this?

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no AI in Squad to have a SP mode. Unless someone knows how that can be done I don't think it's possible.

10 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no AI in Squad to have a SP mode. Unless someone knows how that can be done I don't think it's possible.

I don't think it would be too hard to gather up the collective knowledge of SP-bot development and throw together an SP version of squad. You can use the ShooterGame code as an example for the AI, it's free & Open source. The other resources are available too:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/SampleGames/ShooterGame/index.html

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/AI/BehaviorTrees/QuickStart/index.html

edit: A big caveat is that they wouldn't play "properly", to get them to play squad like it is supposed to be played would be a mammoth effort

Edited by Psyrus

Let's hope that the "new animation system" is being implemented in V6 and that it really was the main performance killer. Sadly I dont have high hopes with this anymore :(

9 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Read this and don't know the source yet. Maybe there is hope.

Maybe version 6 can use UE3!!!  At least it would be playable!!

Just now, Oldschool61 said:

Maybe version 6 can use UE3!!!  At least it would be playable!!

Devs wont do that. It would be a step back, and I'm sure that that's not the idea (it would be great to have a game functional, though...)

2 minutes ago, LookAss said:

Devs wont do that. It would be a step back, and I'm sure that that's not the idea (it would be great to have a game functional, though...)

We are the lab rats for Epic with this highly inefficient game engine.  Why else would it be basically FREE.  No real game engine is just given away.  They

usually charge millions of dollars to license a finely polished engine.  This UE4 is FAR from polished.

On 5/16/2016 at 3:08 PM, Dubs said:

Yes it is planned, but very low priority on the to do list.

Thats good news, cheers

30 minutes ago, LookAss said:

Let's hope that the "new animation system" is being implemented in V6 and that it really was the main performance killer. Sadly I dont have high hopes with this anymore :(

Nope, SgtRoss denied that too. Animation system won't be in V6.

1 minute ago, bilsantu said:

So..... they are giving us a .50 Cal for V6? Mmmm... I guess I'm going to reserver the SSD space for another game and come back in six months.  Sad news really.

Edited by LookAss

1 hour ago, Oldschool61 said:

We are the lab rats for Epic with this highly inefficient game engine.  Why else would it be basically FREE.  No real game engine is just given away.  They

usually charge millions of dollars to license a finely polished engine.  This UE4 is FAR from polished.

Not really. CRYENGINE now is free and offers some more advanced features for pay.

Who knew I'd ever be so excited about overhead power lines?  :)

If you'd told me you were implementing power lines, I'd be all...meh, why not do something more important? But seeing those screen-shots, they add so much depth & ambiance to the world, so awesome!

21 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

The engine is not totally free. If you sell games created with UE4 you have to pay 5% of the cash receipts to Epic Games.

But have a look on other engines..

Unity: completely free aslong you don't get 100,000 $ for the game you sell created with this engine. Then about 1.500$ per seat (means the licence for each client).

CryEngine: 9.90$/month for each client.

Source 2: totally free (aslong you release your game also on steam).

There was also a free version of the Havok Engine called "Project Anarchy". But they closed it (was primary a game engine for mobiles...but also windows games where possible).

I remember Epic Games had some modding prices in the past. For e.g. Red Orchestra won 10 years ago or so. They became 1,000,000 $ (including a UE3 or UE3.5 licence value of 400,000 $).

I guess the story behind is - newer game engines like Unity need customers. So the big companies have their own engine or enough money for an expensive licence of a proven game engine. So they needed to find a new customer field -> independent teams with no or small budget.

To compete against this new game engine producers, the old had to adapt their business model.

Edited by El Duderino

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

The engine is not totally free. If you sell games created with UE4 you have to pay 5% of the cash receipts to Epic Games.

But have a look on other engines..

Unity: completely free aslong you don't get 100,000 $ for the game you sell created with this engine. Then about 1.500$ per seat (means the licence for each client developer in the team (also has a pay monthly scheme)).

CryEngine: 9.90$/month for each client petty much free according to this (runs a pay-what-you-want scheme).

Source 2: totally free (aslong you release your game also on steam).

There was also a free version of the Havok Engine called "Project Anarchy". But they closed it (was primary a game engine for mobiles...but also windows games where possible).

I remember Epic Games had some modding prices in the past. For e.g. Red Orchestra won 10 years ago or so. They became 1,000,000 $ (including a UE3 or UE3.5 licence value of 400,000 $).

I guess the story behind is - newer game engines like Unity need customers. So the big companies have their own engine or enough money for an expensive licence of a proven game engine. So they needed to find a new customer field -> independent teams with no or small budget.

To compete against this new game engine producers, the old had to adapt their business model.

Edited by MirceaDogaru

10 minutes ago, Daytrader said:

UE4 is easily the most powerful game engine out there, period!

Haha... no ;)

Well, after having waited a few months to how the game would go, it does look to be improving quite a bit.

One thing I rather enjoyed greatly with Project Reality was with the huge variety in the maps and factions.

Always good for sight-seeing while doing my supply runs.

On 17/05/2016 at 4:39 PM, bilsantu said:

Our own @SgtRoss  loves playing mind games & with our emotions,not saying this or that but...

Can you smell what SgtRoss is cooking.... :D