Mumble

Discussing binoculars focus mechanics

Discussing binoculars focus mechanics  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How should the binoculars focus in-game? (Read description first)

• The focus should be automatic based on where the center of the screen is aimed.
    • The focus should be manually adjustable through the mousewheel.
    • There should be no depth of field on binocular vision, it should stay how it is in-game currently.

Hello there friends and family,

Just wanted to start a friendly discussion about what our preferred way to implement binoculars would be. Right now, there is no depth of field to the lens of the binoculars. Adding a depth of field to binocular vision would be relatively simple and would mimic how they operate in real life. However, we would need to decide whether to make that operation automatic based on where you are looking, or manual, based on where you choose to focus.

Automatic focus:
No extra buttons or scrolling required, but could accidentally focus at a different distance than what you wanted (it detects a tree at the middle of the screen, so it throws the distant objects out of focus by accident).

Manual focus:
Most realistic and most accurate, but requires use of mousewheel while zoomed in. You would make scrolling towards yourself focus close and scrolling away focus far.

No DOF:
Keeps everything in focus at all distances, which takes the least time to implement and is great for seeing as much as possible, but removes from immersion and feels gamey.

If it was up to me, I think automatic focus is a good choice as long as the depth of field is kept wide.

Toss up your vote and let me know what else you guys think!

It would be nice if the binoculars have numbers showing on the screen to indicate distance.

it would be awesome to have it be manual focus like most binocs IRL, however you wouldnt be able to use scroll due to its already pretty important role in the inventory system. maybe in the future you could have a choice of auto focus or manual. 

@paul_onesix, good point about the scroll wheel, though I don't know what would be a better button combo; it's very intuitive to scroll forward to focus out and zoom back to focus in, and you can do it at any speed you want depending at what rate you scroll the wheel. Locking it to buttons could be just as confusing; you could zoom out before using the scroll wheel to switch weapons, but we switch to and from binoculars so much that it could become an issue.

I think having an option between auto and manual would be perfect! 

@Socrates, yes and no; I know in PR that there were those advanced laser spotting binocs that had distancing, but I don't think every faction should have reliable access to them. It would make for good asymmetrical warfare in some cases though.

3 hours ago, paul_onesix said:

it would be awesome to have it be manual focus like most binocs IRL, however you wouldnt be able to use scroll due to its already pretty important role in the inventory system. maybe in the future you could have a choice of auto focus or manual. 

So long as the controls override the inventory selection while zoomed it shouldn't be hard to implement scroll as focus.

I think it should always be manual - unless you're playing as a developed nation - in which case it should mirror the available technology.

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

It would be nice if the binoculars have numbers showing on the screen to indicate distance.

fuck no, unrealistic and allows for gamey shit like super precision 40mm. Get a vehicle with a LRF if you want that kind of fire support. Only certain factions should have access to rangefinding binoculars, I've heard they are common in German Army, but not US or Russian. (and that specific model has other functionality like measuring height and angles)

They aren't handing out terrapins to every tom, dick and harry.

IMO: manual is ideal, unless it's a vehicle system with autofocus

In my Opinion Laser Rangefinders like Vector IV or anything like it should be only available to specific classes. Most Military and Maritime Binoculars have a reticle that can be used to determine the distance of a Target. What do you think of the internal reticle of binoculars? Is it to Powerful?

img-ab11036_reticle.jpg

Just now, Evad422 said:

In my Opinion Laser Rangefinders like Vector IV or anything like it should be only available to specific classes. Most Military and Maritime Binoculars have a reticle that can be used to determine the distance of a Target. What do you think of the internal reticle of binoculars? Is it to Powerful?

img-ab11036_reticle.jpg

such internal rangefinders should work.

Squad leaders also received some small level thermal sights/imagers in Bundeswehr

csm_RangeIR_1_479c03d210.jpg

Platoon leaders got these

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worldwide/defence/handheld-thermal-imager-sophie-family

48 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

fuck no, unrealistic and allows for gamey shit like super precision 40mm. Get a vehicle with a LRF if you want that kind of fire support. Only certain factions should have access to rangefinding binoculars, I've heard they are common in German Army, but not US or Russian. (and that specific model has other functionality like measuring height and angles)

They aren't handing out terrapins to every tom, dick and harry.

IMO: manual is ideal, unless it's a vehicle system with autofocus

If it exists, why not.

And trotsky, I have to break it to you, Squad is a game if you haven't realized.

1401x788-AS-TRL-86797.JPG

10 minutes ago, Socrates said:

If it exists, why not.

And trotsky, I have to break it to you, Squad is a game if you haven't realized.

I'd rather they leave rangefinders for forward observers and spotters.

13 minutes ago, Socrates said:

If it exists, why not.

Well by that logic we can give everyone rail guns because it's a game right? It would improve the ability for marksmen to perform their job.

use your noggin dude. Accurately model capabilities and see what gameplay emerged and balance from there.

5 minutes ago, PinguThePenguin said:

I'd rather they leave rangefinders for forward observers and spotters.

Depending on the formation there's all kinds of fancy thermal/rangefinder/compass binoculars in existence but as I said before it should be heavily faction and perhaps even subtraction or squad based.

5 hours ago, paul_onesix said:

Since you'd have to ADS to use the focus function, I don't think using the scroll wheel would be a problem. From a game design standpoint the variable focus point seems like a genius idea, it nerfs the power of binocs in a very smart way. It could force people to use it more thoughtfully instead of just grabbing binocs  and sweeping everything quickly.

From an implementation perspective however, blur in general is costy to calculate and good DOF is even worse. Obviously you have to mandate such a feature for every graphics settings, and I wouldn't be surprised if the forced DOF would make binocs useless for people with low-end PCs.

6 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

Well by that logic we can give everyone rail guns because it's a game right? It would improve the ability for marksmen to perform their job.

use your noggin dude. Accurately model capabilities and see what gameplay emerged and balance from there.

Binoculars help snipers.

Socrates, I wasn't aiming to discuss rangefinding here, thanks for your input though.

12 hours ago, Socrates said:

Binoculars help snipers.

dude are you even capable of following the thread of the discussion? you're derailing op and now you've completely avoided my point too. Maybe instead of worrying about haters all the time you should consider your own habits in life as well.

Have not Voted, for me its nothing what could annoy me. 

Automodes can be bad if there are invinsible walls. so maybe bether the Manual Version.

But finally because everbody has the same system its balanced and so long its intuitive usable it will be fine for me

3 hours ago, trotskygrad said:

dude are you even capable of following the thread of the discussion? you're derailing op and now you've completely avoided my point too. Maybe instead of worrying about haters all the time you should consider your own habits in life as well.

I'm just mentioning binoculars with distance indication. No need to get angry.

The focus of the binoculars should be adjustable. Although the current one is fine .

I'm leaning toward an automatic focus, but one that takes at least a half second or a second to focus, so it feels manual. I'm not really opposed to manual, but the MMB is off-limits due to the inventory, so I don't see how you'd use it.