MVPiet13

Discussion: the map of the medic

I wanted to start a quick little discussion about the map of the medic, as it is currently implemented in the game.

Now, a medic can see every teammate that is wounded or dead, anywhere on the map. In my opinion, this takes away part of the communication required to function as a team. A medic that simply keeps an eye on his map can easily see: "oh, squad 1 is being wiped on the flag, they might need some backup". I feel that if squad 1 is indeed getting wiped, they should inform their team. If they don't do that, then the team should pay the price for it.

Of course, you still want friendly medics to be able to spot you when you are killed in their general area.

So maybe some sort of radius in which the medic can see the status of friendlies? Or do you have a different opinion?

My issue with the map of the medic is I don't even understand what the symbols mean. So much going on, I'd prefer if they refine it to make it more obvious to understand what the symbols mean on the map.

Don't worry about Rex.

HUD elements/Information should be relative and balanced to the specific role or location a player is in, back in Project Reality the commander had the ability to see the Health Statuses of all Squads and their Squad Members. And following the Project Reality model, the SLs and Commanders in SQUAD should have the same information available. But giving this map info to the common player is unnecessary and very clustered; especially to the Medics.

I agree with the idea for radius/distance based HUD elements. And in the Medic's case, the icon of a downed player should have a relative transparency and should only be indicated on the Medic's compass, not in his central peripheral vision. (NOTE: Please no magical GUI eye-floaties) 

My main beef is that SQUAD should give its information to the player through THREE crucial elements, the Compass, the Map, and Player Communication. These are the THREE foundations of Project Reality, and Squad should preserve this balance of the Force.

#PolanskiLovesCivilDiscussionsOnSQforums
#MofugnMontesquieWithHisMofugnChecksAndBalancesAllUpInThisBitch

#FukRazorCuzPolanskiAintHavinNoneOfThisPatheticUseTheMofugnCheckTheSearchEngine 

I'm thinking if a player is within 50m of medic the medic can see the health status of the player. if outside the 50m radius the player will have to manually activate the a distress icon for the medic to see the player health status on the map, but the player will only have limited number of distress button press per life (say 3) and could also kind of simulate the player losing strength to call for help. I think this will solve your worries of about communications between the squads and would limit request for medic spam. Also I think for anyone outside of the medic's own squad the medic should not be able to see if they are bleeding or not on the map only if they a incapacitated.

the medic map reminds me of Xmas... so many things flashing

and when players move, the icons look more like bacteria having an orgy

pardon my honesty

I very like it as it is. Removing all those icons seems to be a much of over-the-top realism. I play medic very often, and there is nothing more anoying in voicechat having everybody screeming around "medic....". THIS IS NOT A KIND OF INFORMATION I WANT; NEITHER IT IS THE INFORMATION SOMEBODY IN RL WOULD GET. In real life you see much more around you, you can see the woundings, and there is no shuttering voicechat. In game, I was very upset by all those screaming medic and dont get told were exactly there are! And having any wounded telling you where thei are, SL is getting insane, because no1 hears his orders!

There is not yet an easy communication to tell ingame where you got shot, where the enemies are. Naming squares and keeptes (D5 kepet 6) is still not exactly enough. Neither I wanna searche fallen mates in a bushy area, where the camo covers them. Before update, it was much easier to find an enemy instead by searching than the must-to-be-treaded!

Therefore pls DON'T change it again!

3 minutes ago, Barbarossa said:

I very like it as it is. Removing all those icons seems to be a much of over-the-top realism. I play medic very often, and there is nothing more anoying in voicechat having everybody screeming around "medic....". THIS IS NOT A KIND OF INFORMATION I WANT; NEITHER IT IS THE INFORMATION SOMEBODY IN RL WOULD GET. In real life you see much more around you, you can see the woundings, and there is no shuttering voicechat. In game, I was very upset by all those screaming medic and dont get told were exactly there are! And having any wounded telling you where thei are, SL is getting insane, because no1 hears his orders!

There is not yet an easy communication to tell ingame where you got shot, where the enemies are. Naming squares and keeptes (D5 kepet 6) is still not exactly enough. Neither I wanna searche fallen mates in a bushy area, where the camo covers them. Before update, it was much easier to find an enemy instead by searching than the must-to-be-treaded!

Therefore pls DON'T change it again!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't talking about the icons themself, nor the kind of information that they provide. My only problem is that right now as a medic, you can see every casualty on the entire map :)

It was good when there weren't special icons on map. Now you have:

1. Icons on map indicating status of all team members

2. Icons on compass indicating status of nearby team members

3. Widgets on team members indicating their status

4. Local chat voices of team members screaming about their status

5. Additionally you can hear voices of squad members in squad channel reporting their status.

Medic HUD is totally overloaded with replicating info.

11 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

Medic HUD is totally overloaded with replicating info.

I actually don't mind it. It allows the medic to do his job correctly, without a waste of time - that would just be annoying. It also allows to fill a real support role for the SL who can't know the status of his squad/team all the time.

I went medic in several rounds today

I was unsure what the icons meant on the map ,

if they needed a res or they were partially hurt

After a few ANNOYING rounds of squad , i felt the game has the

same core issues is why i stopped playing a while ago

So much ranting about degree's and 120 this or 300 to the squad leader

* yet you can NEVER get someone to bloody res you or patch you up

* its like talking to a brick wall , yet so much verbal crap comes thou on chatter

* it is outright ANNOYING that I cant mark up enemy's like Insurgency so my

squad mates have a rough idea where the enemy is

* still walking for bloody miles and miles and miles and miles,

just to get to action and die 30 seconds later

* I find it annoying you just cant SPAWN on your squad leader

* Today I noticed (6.1) no one building fob/base items anymore

* Last round before dinner (recorded round 2) they bitched about medic

was miles away, then i catch up and they bugger off and get shot

At least I was a solid 75 FPS on most maps and peaking to 83 to 115 on some levels

@charliebrownau

The drop icon means they are bleeding and need to be patched up (they can do that themselves by rightclicking once they have the patch out, if they have any left). The other icon means they are down and need a res.

- I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about with the degrees?

- if you're a medic, then there's only one other medic on your squad at the most who can res you. Tell him to get you up first so you can help him with others. Need to be patched? Patch yourself up! (see above) No more patches? Haul ass to the nearest friendly and frantically ask for him to patch you on local! Then go to an ammo crate ASAP or ask your SL to put one down if possible if you don't have one in your AO.

- just give an approximate bearing on local for the friendlies near you, and for others who are not, check your map and give a coordinate. (grid + kp) I find this much more immersive, even if it's a little more of a hassle. This also helps with situational awareness.

- V7 bruh ;)

- I find that would be too op, and also might be hard to implement? (I have no idea) It adds to the importance of the squad leader's tactics imo.

- Keep in mind everyone is still trying out the new version and getting used to it. FOBs will resume construction shortly :) 

Actually, to be fair, my team had a pretty huge FOB last night.

- And I understand them. Your job is to be with them, and follow them, not go on your own. You're a support class, so you're there to support them (specifically your squad). You shouldn't be supporting the rest of your team if you can't support your squad as a consequence imo.

As for the FPS, lucky you, I could barely get 30 fps as of last night. Damn headache after 15 mins.

PS: Medic is a pretty challenging class, and can be frustrating depending on your team (if they give up every 5 seconds) or if you're a newcomer. If you don't play often, maybe play other classes first to get the feel of the game back, which in turn helps with playing medic.

2 hours ago, molomo58 said:

I actually don't mind it. It allows the medic to do his job correctly, without a waste of time - that would just be annoying. It also allows to fill a real support role for the SL who can't know the status of his squad/team all the time.

Communication should do it. There is nothing impossible for squadmates to report their status, instead we have a lot of indicators duplicating each other.