FalkoN

Possible PIP scope method

Was just watching the video above and was really intrigued by the scope rendering method used. As you can see it seems to be reducing the resolution scale of the world instance while keeping the instance inside the field of the scope normal, and i'm wondering... could this be feasibly done for squad? Obviously it has the negative effect of making everything outside of the scope look like crap but that wouldn't necessarily be an issue if you simply put a blur filter over it. But what this might allow is for a minimal drop in performance. What do you guys think?

I think I would get bothered by the slight difference in performance between the scope and external fov. Even wth a filter it looks a bit jumpy.

that being said, that might only be the case for arma, and it might work really well for UE4. 

I think that this would work a hell of a lot better in UE4 than Arma's engine considering how outdated the engine is in many aspects, so the desync between the two instances might not be an issue.

That looks extremely awful. Maybe if you blur the area outside the scope. But then again, do we really need PIP scopes?

@mastah4 @MultiSquid Guys did you read the description? That's exactly what I was on about.

But wouldn't this be even worse on performance? I mean... you are rendering bigger (outside of scope) surface?

3 minutes ago, FalkoN said:

@mastah4 @MultiSquid Guys did you read the description? That's exactly what I was on about.

I've stoped reading exactly before you mentioned about the blur, my mistake.

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

But wouldn't this be even worse on performance? I mean... you are rendering bigger (outside of scope) surface?

the area outside the scope has lower resolution thats why it shouldnt have a big impact on performance (at least in theory)

Hmm...interesting idea for sure... but it doesn't look right to me. Not useful if its jumpy like in ArmA.

What's the point in having out-of-scope area? To have some awareness of surrounding like irl. With this lag its not so useful (but as you said it might not be like this in UE4). It might be easier and more useful to be done with just heavy blur around scope.

None of suggested methods (blur around scope or this) introduces parallax effect which would be real treat to have. Even if done this way, it still doesn't look real so maybe just stick with better performance method?

25 minutes ago, Disco said:

Hmm...interesting idea for sure... but it doesn't look right to me. Not useful if its jumpy like in ArmA.

What's the point in having out-of-scope area? To have some awareness of surrounding like irl. With this lag its not so useful (but as you said it might not be like this in UE4). It might be easier and more useful to be done with just heavy blur around scope.

None of suggested methods (blur around scope or this) introduces parallax effect which would be real treat to have. Even if done this way, it still doesn't look real so maybe just stick with better performance method?

Honestly I think this is probably as close as we could get to 'realistic' scopes, as a parallax type effect would likely be infeasible. However the resolution might not have to be as low in UE4 which might still allow for some level of awareness if the blur isn't too heavy.

13 minutes ago, FalkoN said:

Honestly I think this is probably as close as we could get to 'realistic' scopes, as a parallax type effect would likely be infeasible. However the resolution might not have to be as low in UE4 which might still allow for some level of awareness if the blur isn't too heavy.

Yep, that might be true... Excellent that you bring it here to discuss! Would love to read dev comment here

The only way this would be feasible is if the blur is added (like you said) AND the framerate is kept the same. i wouldn't be able to stand that awful stutter around the whole screen, even if it's blurred. That said, doing a heavy resolution drop on the outer frame with heavy blur might be a "solution" of sorts. I'd love to hear dev input if this could work.

I honestly don't care whether PIP is implemented or not but the current scope implementation is completely unrealistic, I should not be able to see the side of my scope while I am looking through it. The ACOG in-game is especially bad for this, the model is okay but the way the housing blocks your immediate view around the scope is entirely unrealistic.

I would like to see this if possible. We need some input from our DEVs on the pro & cons on implementation wise or if UE can achieve this.

Agreed, where's RoyAwesome when you need him?

3 minutes ago, FalkoN said:

Agreed, where's RoyAwesome when you need him?

Indeed,or Z-Trooper (I know he has had a cut fool) on this subject, but it would be nice to hear them comment.

I'm not a big fan of Arma but when they do something good,its worth haven a look our self's .

Cheers.

Indeed,or Z-Trooper (I know he has had a cut fool) on this subject, but it would be nice to hear them comment.

I'm not a big fan of Arma but when they do something good,its worth haven a look our self's .

Cheers.

I'm not a fan of the ARMA series either, but this is really interesting

We're discussing blur here, so I may as well throw in two other suggestions.

Blur adds a unique sense of immersion and refinement that Squad doesn't take advantage of.

1. When holding your weapon normally, at the hip, the area nearest you is not in your line of sight, unless you're for some reason peering at your right shoulder. Hence, a minor blur adds a small, but good effect.

2. When you sight down your weapon, you're focusing your vision on the area in line with the rear and foresights. Thus, the area behind the rear sight ought to have a blur.

Use the below Traction Wars images for reference. In the first, the Lee-Enfield on the right displays a slight blur around the base of the weapon seen when holding the weapon normally, at the hip. In the second, the K 98 on the right displays a blur over everything behind the rear sight. Now imagine these in Squad.

2015.09-2_03.jpg

2015.09-2_01.jpg

In IronTaxi's new twitch vid on modding, he mentions possibly having to have a compromise on the true first person system. That being it won't be entirely first person (I assume). Hopefully it solves the awkward scope, red dot, and iron site issues that currently plague Squad.

4 hours ago, NotBrad said:

I should not be able to see the side of my scope while I am looking through it. The ACOG in-game is especially bad for this, the model is okay but the way the housing blocks your immediate view around the scope is entirely unrealistic.

Would be nice if that would happen :)

Probably not worth the performance cost.

The whole reason I brought this up is the fact that this may be a way of doing something similar without the huge performance cost. I imagine it might still be a little taxing for lower end systems though.

24 minutes ago, Mumble said:

I would say it could be worth the performance cost, so that's why it's worth discussing. @gibonez

This is an early access game and should be treated like one. The fact that AMD users with high end systems still play at shit frames is acceptable for that reason. The reason everybody else says I all the time is because the sissy Intel fanboys want a stable game, whereas us amd guys who are cpu capped say; fuck it! Can't get any worse since the game is only using 50% of my gpu anyway! If we can deal with it so can you, I am honestly getting fed up with the developers constantly "perfecting" things before we see them, I mean it's early access! It should not play well or be balanced! We are the hardware testers to mark those performance issues, what's the point of optimizing a game that isn't finished? Maybe I'm only getting half the story but unless they give the rest I want more frequent, and less polished updates.

/rant

but really, I'd rather see more broken glitchy stuff, instead of waiting for months without any info.