Zeno965

Modding Tips & Tools

OP WILL BE UPDATED WITH RELEVANT CONTENT FROM THE THREAD

Use this thread to share your experiences and helpfull tips with your fellow modders!

Normal: Paid or subription based

Green: Free or limited trial free

Usefull Tools:

Photoshop: Great for editing textures, Normalmaps, heightmaps and everything else that is 2d. Link

Paint.net: Free alternative to Photoshop, lacks some functions, but still powerfull free software Link

GIMP: Another free 2d editor software. Link

Crazybump : Generates great normal, height and specular maps from photos, or can be used to turn a height/bump map into a normal.  Essential to my workflow.

FilterForge : Plugin for PS - Node based texture/pattern generator that can make seamless math based materials.  Generates normal, metallic, specular, ect. Additionally, you can search their website for filters and download images (including normal maps) without even buying the program.

GoldWave : A fantastic little audio editor I've been using for years.  You can use it for free up to 150 clicks or so, and then you'll need to re-start it. Perfect for looping a sample, converting things, or full blown sound effects creation.  The only time I have to switch to Audition is when I need to extract part of a sound, or really clean something up.

GlueIT : Makes sprite sheets from a series of images.  Essential to making particles that use animations! I tend to render things out of a 3D package and use this to glue it all together.

MakeHumanLets you create a fully rigged human using sliders and things.  Doesn't currently export with a UE4 skeleton, but it can be re-targeted.

HMES Alpha: Free terrain generator, unlimited export resolution

Usefull Resources:

www.freesound.org: Loads of free sound effects.  Most just request credit, but all are some variation of a CC license.

Material library:  60 free UE4 materials and 220 textures (free for Commercial use)

Editor tips:

#1 To keep your project organized use "Collections", in this way when you find something you want to use later (or in another maps) you don't need to waste your time on "search back" your stuff

#2 How to setup your editor for in-editor testing: link

Heightmap:

Landscape technical guide: a great guideline for creating and importing heightmaps into UE4 Link

EDITOR TIPS:

To keep your project organized use "Collections", in this way when you find something you want to use later (or in another maps) you don't need to waste your time on "search back" your stuff :)

Useful Pay Tools:
Crazybump - Generates great normal, height and specular maps from photos, or can be used to turn a height/bump map into a normal.  Essential to my workflow.

FilterForge Plugin for PS - Node based texture/pattern generator that can make seamless math based materials.  Generates normal, metallic, specular, ect. Additionally, you can search their website for filters and download images (including normal maps) without even buying the program.

Useful free(ish) tools:

GoldWave - A fantastic little audio editor I've been using for years.  You can use it for free up to 150 clicks or so, and then you'll need to re-start it. Perfect for looping a sample, converting things, or full blown sound effects creation.  The only time I have to switch to Audition is when I need to extract part of a sound, or really clean something up.

Useful Free tools:

GlueIT - Makes sprite sheets from a series of images.  Essential to making particles that use animations! I tend to render things out of a 3D package and use this to glue it all together.

MakeHuman - Lets you create a fully rigged human using sliders and things.  Doesn't currently export with a UE4 skeleton, but it can be re-targeted.

Useful Web Resources:

www.freesound.org - Loads of free sound effects.  Most just request credit, but all are some variation of a CC license.

And a tip: If you are a student, seek out student discounts! Even if one isn't listed, you can often email and ask about them.  If you aren't a student, Adobe Creative Cloud is surprisingly affordable.

Would love to suggest L3DT, Large 3D Terrain Generator.

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

The emphasize of this tool is on editing the terrain you generated by hand. Gives you the ability to raise, lower, flat areas out and smooth different height level.

The professional edition has a 3 months trial (which you can renew, if you don't wish to pay). Will happily make a video tutorial on how to use this efficiently if I find the time to do it.

Edited by Sid

L3DT merging heightmaps (heightmap operation/calculation)

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:calc:atmergemap

World Machine 

WM Device Reference

UE4 wiki WM import

Geek at Play: WM learn video compilation

Geoglyph: WM steroids

World Creator: WM alternative (ex geocontrol 2) now GPU rendering

Speed Tree: vegetation with BP

True Sky

Rock Maker: 3DS script for creating fast rocks

Rock Generator: another 3DS script for creating fast rocks

Edited by SoLo

I don't know where to post it and i will do it here, this tutorial is NOT mine but is interesting, is about a World Machine to UE4 workflow

13 hours ago, ZioYuri78 said:

I don't know where to post it and i will do it here, this tutorial is NOT mine but is interesting, is about a World Machine to UE4 workflow

Thank you! I have some difficulties with texturing, but now  I know what I can try else.

XNormal - free software for baking.

Some usefull information about physically based rendering (a shading model which UE4 is using):

allegorithmic has two very cool guides about pbr. That I strongly recommend to read.

marmoset also has usefull info about it (theory and practise) and don't forget to visit the links in the conclusion.

Edited by FishMan

24 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Should we use UE 4.11.2 or 4.12.2 for creating a Squad map?

4.10.4 for the current SDK, the next one will use 4.11

Just now, Zeno965 said:

4.10.4 for the current SDK, the next one will use 4.11

U FRIKING GOTTA BE KIDDING me... xD JUUUUUST deleted 4.10 ! ! ! xD ROFL fail. How many days/weeks from now approx./which month will we move to 4.11 ? (I guess not 4.12 yet as it's not "stable" enough in the opinion of the Squad Devs?)

Thx for the help Zeno! (The PR Zeno?)

10 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

U FRIKING GOTTA BE KIDDING me... xD JUUUUUST deleted 4.10 ! ! ! xD ROFL fail. How many days/weeks from now approx./which month will we move to 4.11 ? (I guess not 4.12 yet as it's not "stable" enough in the opinion of the Squad Devs?)

Thx for the help Zeno! (The PR Zeno?)

Yes, not many other Zenos around here :P 

Next SDK should be released in 1-2 weeks, so might as well wait for that :)

11 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

LOOOOL 9 GB I just discovered LOLLL this gotta be a lot of troll content in there... (no srsly, are there huuuge textures/3d models included or why suuuch huge SDK?)

This is really not the right thread to continue this discussion though. please use the Modding discussion thread or helpdesk if you need any more help :)