Zeno965

Modding Helpdesk

20 hours ago, Drecks said:

I think I did not seek good enough. As its still there. :-(

Oh, that sux :( . I've not had any issues with the new version of my map - using that "Shared Wrap" fix - but of course it means starting from scratch again :|

** FIXED ** : turned off AA in Project settings. note: still some (very small) artifact due to Engine Scalability settings (can't seem to get changes to these to stick)

Anybody have this 'Strobing' thing going on - i've not noticed it before

WTF_strobing thing

Edited by LaughingJack
fixed issue ... mostly ;)

** FIXED **: one of the Normal textures for the Sand Material was incorrect. once fixed it now renders Ground and Road the same ... and altering the light angle does not cause those shading errors anymore.

And this: i was having trouble getting the brightness of the roads to match the landscape - big disparity - so after much hair-pulling i experimented with the Directional Light angle, and this is what i found. you can see the shadow angle from the trees as a guide. And i think you can see what i mean about the brightness differences with the changing light angle. at "high noon" there is still some difference but about an "hour" to one side (dunno which) they match nearly perfectly. This is using the same (duplicated) Material Function as the Landscape Layer but they are being lit entirely differently - like oppositely.

And for some reason the Landscape is super dark from one direction. Got me stuffed whats going on.

* Split-view *

lighting issue_ light angle_1

Cheers

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack

On 02.08.2017 at 2:49 PM, LaughingJack said:

Anybody have this 'Strobing' thing going on - i've not noticed it before

This is because of Temporal AA. This thing makes images blurry and have a ghosting artifacts if you have not enough fps.

There are bunch of threads about it on the official forums...

For example: 1, 2;

Personaly I prefer to disable it.

r.PostProcessAAQuality = 0

Also I usually disable motion blur as well:

r.MotionBlur.Amount = 0

On 02.08.2017 at 3:00 PM, LaughingJack said:

. And i think you can see what i mean about the brightness differences with the changing light angle.

Yes, splines for some reason are lighting differently.
I already met a similar problem when I was doing one project, but I dropped it for an indefinite period, so I still have not figured out whether it can be fixed.

Try searh on epics forums. Im pretty sure this is a common problem.

Edited by FishMan

7 minutes ago, FishMan said:

This is because of Temporary AA.

Personaly I prefer to disable it.

Yeah same here. i will be disabling AA as well.

8 minutes ago, FishMan said:

Yes, splines for some reason are lighting differently.

ah, i thought so - that sux hard - looks terrible. i'm surprised it got past QA actually.

11 minutes ago, FishMan said:

Try searh on epics forums. Im pretty sure this is a common problem.

already done - posted an issue, but not heard back yet.

cheers FishMan :)

On 04/08/2017 at 8:51 AM, FishMan said:

- snip -

An update for you FishMan: oopsy on my part - one of the Normal textures for the ground Mat was incorrect. once fixed it now renders Ground and Road the same - and looks cool! and altering the light angle does not cause those shading errors anymore.

still getting the bright "halo" around the camera POV but i now actually think this is a function of the Near > Far blending.

not the "blending", rather the Near texture scale versus the Far texture scale - the Near one looks 'brighter', i think due to the apparent higher albedo of the denser texture, and the 'Far' looks darker due to it's texture scale giving it less albedo . so the nearer, dense texture, looks brighter than the further, less dense texture.

just looks really weird to have the ground "get darker", or conversly, to have a bright patch follow you around.

Edited by LaughingJack

Please a couple questions. Anyone know why "rebuild lighting" is disabled? Also, is it possible to reassign the material instance to a landscape terrain?

25 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Please a couple questions. Anyone know why "rebuild lighting" is disabled? Also, is it possible to reassign the material instance to a landscape terrain?

Squad uses fully dynamic lighting so by default static lighting is disabled in the configs. Also yes, just select the landscape and find the material slot, then reassign it there.

1 hour ago, Axton said:

Squad uses fully dynamic lighting so by default static lighting is disabled in the configs. Also yes, just select the landscape and find the material slot, then reassign it there.

Thank you. Please where would enable it in the configs because I want to do volumetric lighting?

Also, when you say select the landscape and find the material slot I'm a little confused because when you create a new landscape in landscape mode you have the choice to assign a material instance to it however with an existing landscape you can only select it as an object and I don't see where exactly you change the material instance. I've tried changing the materials in the paint layers but it makes no difference there.

Click on it and in the details panel find the material slot. Drag or choose a different one and click the arrow.

^

For the static lighting, there's a few checkboxes under 'rendering' in project settings that you'll need to check. Just gonna say though, it's not a very good solution for a game like squad.

6 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Please where would enable it in the configs because I want to do volumetric lighting?

Trust me you dont want to do it. Cause this settings is not about the level u're making but for the whole project. This mean that everything you will do is not going to work until u make your own build of the game and send it to everybody with your level. Just forget about it, Squad uses dynamic lighting and never will be switched to stationary and this is not only because of the project settings. To make it possible you'll have to make a second uv's for the entire content which Squad have atm. The only thing that we can expect in the future is some dynamic gi solution, but only if game will run super fast without it and this is already not true atm. So the chanses are really low, they even disabled dfao already and dfao is cheaper than any dynamic gi.

And what do you mean when saying "volumetric lighting"? Can you explain or show some examples?

Edited by FishMan

1 hour ago, FishMan said:

Trust me you dont want to do it. Cause this settings is not about the level u're making but for the whole project. This mean that everything you will do is not going to work until u make your own build of the game and send it to everybody with your level. Just forget about it, Squad uses dynamic lighting and never will be switched to stationary and this is not only because of the project settings. To make it possible you'll have to make a second uv's for the entire content which Squad have atm. The only thing that we can expect in the future is some dynamic gi solution, but only if game will run super fast without it and this is already not true atm. So the chanses are really low, they even disabled dfao already and dfao is cheaper than any dynamic gi.

And what do you mean when saying "volumetric lighting"? Can you explain or show some examples?

My mistake. At 45:42 its called a PostProcessVolume.

PostProcessVolume: you should just be able to drop one into the scene and set it to "boundless", something like that - basically tells itself there is no extent/boundry for its volume, so you don't have to scale it out to fit.

You still want to stick with Dynamic Lighting though.

If you're having trouble getting the Ambient (SkyLight) to look ok, then here is a tip i just stumbled onto the other day when i could only get the Ambient light level to be high enough to get more realistic shadow densities - especially Foliage (Trees).

Cranking the skylight up just washed out the textures - looked shite. Colour looked wrong and it ended up far too bright

So i ended up doing this: Keeping the SkyLight Colour Saturation down to bugger-all (~10%) and then pulled the Brightness down to at least half way. This gave me far more realistic shadow density - as opposed to the default heavy (Solid Black) shadows, with enough light for the "ambient" level i like, and the colour being yellow now, not blue, also gave me a warmer look - "blue" tended to make it look a bit washed out (pale).

Please, anyone, correct me if iv'e mucked up anything here ;)

You don't need static lighting for post-process. You don't need it for any volumetric effects as well.

Here some info about post process.

Also check this thread for some good information about lighting. And be ready that it will be very tricky to get something descent using only directional and ambient lights, cause there are no global illumination or occlusion (except screen space) availible atm in squad.

11 hours ago, FishMan said:

You don't need static lighting for post-process. You don't need it for any volumetric effects as well.

Here some info about post process.

Also check this thread for some good information about lighting. And be ready that it will be very tricky to get something descent using only directional and ambient lights, cause there are no global illumination or occlusion (except screen space) availible atm in squad.

Applied a new material instance to the landscape with your help thanks. And also the maps already have postprocessvolume so I'll start tweaking those for fun. One more question please, in the foliage editor on stock maps the only tool that works is the edit one so I can't assign new foliage and paint it. Do you know how to make the landscape except painting of new foliage?

9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Applied a new material instance to the landscape with your help thanks. And also the maps already have postprocessvolume so I'll start tweaking those for fun. One more question please, in the foliage editor on stock maps the only tool that works is the edit one so I can't assign new foliage and paint it. Do you know how to make the landscape except painting of new foliage?

Make sure you're opening the Geo version of the map and not a gameplay layer like AAS_1 et cetera.

6 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

@Peerun: is that what GEO means? Geography, without Structures or Gmaeplay elements?

Geo has the terrain, the structures, the foliage. It doesn't have cap points/caches or spawns for vehicles. Kindof like a chessboard before you put the pawns on it. Also doesn't have light, if different layers of the map use different lighting.
Basically, whatever you want to stay the same between all the versions of the map will be in the Geo layer.

Edited by Peerun