Zeno965

Modding Helpdesk

Hi @Drecks:  iv'e not used splines for water, but what happens if you disable collisions entirely for your water? the only thing i can imagine needing collision with the water is boats etc.

your bottom screenie looks like it's working properly - or am i missing something?

can you copy-paste the spline from the Gorodok map?

Drecks   

Disabling collision will not show the water material when shot at it. You will see it like you shoot at dirt. I finally solved all by using another watermesh.
Now I use the Waterplane_Logar_Slow and it works fine. When I used Waterplane_muddy I had problems.

I did not copy paste it from Gorodok. It won't work.

Axton   

Dreks; in your spline mesh, make sure collisions are enabled on lod0, but set the collision profile to water

Waitums   

Hi, i'm currently creating a custom map and everytime i try to test it by pressing the "play" button it just takes me to the squad main menu. It also comes up with this error message after. Any ideas? 

QfQbLuT.png

Waitums   
25 minutes ago, Drecks said:

Go to any position in your map and

Press rmb and pick "Play from here"

It still takes me straight to the main menu. It loads into the map for a split second, then goes to main menu. Same error messages appear. 

yeh this happened to me a couple of times. buggerit but i can't remember how to fix it tho, sorry.

wouldn't worry too much about the errors - guessing they have nothing to do with Your Play issue, just collision issues with the M4.

i usually move the camera near to the ground and Play from Camera position.

13 hours ago, Waitums said:

Hi, i'm currently creating a custom map and everytime i try to test it by pressing the "play" button it just takes me to the squad main menu. It also comes up with this error message after. Any ideas? 

QfQbLuT.png

on the screenshot EntryMap is active. Make active your map.

Karicter   

I apologize in advance if this was rectified in a different thread or forum, but I did a few searches and found nothing for my specific questions, only how to make more height maps or levels. I need those things from the vanilla maps, not new ones.

1. Is there a height/elevation/altitude table or chart of the current maps in Squad?

if no then,

2.Is it possible to extract the current maps in Squad?

if yes then,

3.Is it possible to extract the Height map from the current maps in Squad?

I have a plan to build a tool for something I do in my active military service related to Squad that I think players would really enjoy, but I would need this data to build it. Much appreciated.

So I'm in the process of editing the existing Fools Road map and turning it into a jungle map with USA vs INS. At this point I've deleted pretty much every single visible asset in the map. Trees were super easy as they were grouped but now I've got a few questions maybe I can get some help with.

First off how do you select and delete those guard rails, the pavement and that left over section of chain link fence at Poponov? Also, is it possible to associate the INS with the Militia vehicles? And where do you change the objective names?

On 15/06/2017 at 6:29 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

1/  First off how do you select and delete those guard rails, the pavement (ed: Road?)

2/  that left over section of chain link fence at Poponov?

3/ Also, is it possible to associate the INS with the Militia vehicles?

4/ And where do you change the objective names?

1/ are they Splines(made with)?, roads are. if so you might need to be in the Spline Edit mode (under Terrain editing somewhere, iirc).

2/ what one bit left? i guess it's un-selectable as well? ermm no idea, soz.

3/ Vehicle ownership through the vehicle itself? if not, i dunno.

4/ You can do this by renaming the 'objective' - the "CaptureZone" label/name.

@anyone: 'course if i'm wrong, please jump in and tell me.

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

1/ are they Splines(made with)?, roads are. if so you might need to be in the Spline Edit mode (under Terrain editing somewhere, iirc).

2/ what one bit left? i guess it's un-selectable as well? ermm no idea, soz.

3/ Vehicle ownership through the vehicle itself? if not, i dunno.

4/ You can do this by renaming the 'objective' - the "CaptureZone" label/name.

@anyone: 'course if i'm wrong, please jump in and tell me.

No worries. Just teaching myself by trial and error. I made many maps for the Delta Force community with the MED and UE is much more complex but much more user friendly on the WYSWIG side. Next I gotta figure out the fog settings and how to tweak the skybox. Also anyone know where the Al Basrah assets are? 

Psyrus   
1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Also anyone know where the Al Basrah assets are? 

From what I recall, Al Basrah was released after the previous SDK version was packaged, so they're not currently available in the SDK. The next SDK update should bring in the Al Basrah assets. I'm guessing it'll drop with v10?

Figured out most of my problems on my own but I still can't understand how to edit/delete the pavement, guard rails and railroad tracks on the Fools Road map. How the heck do you select those lime green wireframes?

@Zylfrax791: pretty sure you need to be in Spline Editing mode (via the Terrain Editing section on the LHS of the screen - i think it's in 'Painting' - you have to change the "tool", there is a drop-down and Spline Editing is at the bottom), and i presume from there, 'coz iv'e not done it for a while, that you can then select them and delete.

On 16/06/2017 at 10:11 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

I made many maps for the Delta Force community with the MED and UE is much more complex

likewise, except i did for JO (Nile), mainly, and UE is way more complex, but of course it's also much, much more than just a Level Editor.

27 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

@Zylfrax791: pretty sure you need to be in Spline Editing mode (via the Terrain Editing section on the LHS of the screen - i think it's in 'Painting' - you have to change the "tool", there is a drop-down and Spline Editing is at the bottom), and i presume from there, 'coz iv'e not done it for a while, that you can then select them and delete.

likewise, except i did for JO (Nile), mainly, and UE is way more complex, but of course it's also much, much more than just a Level Editor.

DF BHD JO? Youre speaking my language.

Thanks for the advice about the splines. Was able to edit those out plus increase the map boundries. Next I need to figure out how to increase the river height plus make some additional water features throughout my maps.

Material Function:  How to use? - how to modify?

Firstly, iv'e been mucking about with copy-rename 'ing the (i think) Fools Road Master material. I've copied the Mat and Material Functions(MF) and used them in a few maps i have on the go atm. So copying, renaming and re-setting bits in the BP and Functions is relatively easy, however . . .

Q: How can i alter the mesh objects placement - i don't particularly want the stones in the grass, as it is placed by the MF, however i cannot find where these placed items are coming from, or how they are called for placement.

Cheers!

.LJ

When I initially opened up the maps in their respective folders I saved new copies and edited those but what I didn't realize is irregardless of that any changes I made still show up in all the other maps. So you delete a tree in Kohat v2 and it's deleted in all the other Kohat maps in the folder. Not sure that works but whatever. 

Anyway, I've done a bunch of tutorials and bought some assets so I uninstalled Squad Unreal Editor and reloaded it last night. So now I've went down the path to Epic Games/Squad/Squad/Content/Maps.

And then I made a backup copy of Maps which is 12 GB. So now I should be good to drop anything back in if I screw it up again right? Or does writeable content related to the map reside elsewhere?

Also is there a way to locked the position of the landscape so you can't select it and accidentally move it anyone know?

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

When I initially opened up the maps in their respective folders I saved new copies and edited those but what I didn't realize is irregardless of that any changes I made still show up in all the other maps.

Not sure how UE tracks files and changes  - don't know if your backup idea will work or not but it might.

I think you need to do it like this: (for single objects)

1. select the asset you want to copy.

2. drag it to your new working folder

3. when you drop it in, UE will ask to Move or Copy - make Copy.

4. immediatelly rename the copy

so far iv'e not had any issues doing this.

I've also heard of Migrating but i think this is for entire Project copying - maybe for whole Maps as well?

Copying bits. like above, works ok. Also, making Instances of things might help too as they will not effect the parent file/copy.

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Also is there a way to locked the position of the landscape so you can't select it and accidentally move it anyone know?

No lock symbol next to the position input for the terrain mesh? - other than that i don't know.

On 26/06/2017 at 9:48 AM, LaughingJack said:

Material Function:  How to use? - how to modify?

Firstly, iv'e been mucking about with copy-rename 'ing the (i think) Fools Road Master material. I've copied the Mat and Material Functions(MF) and used them in a few maps i have on the go atm. So copying, renaming and re-setting bits in the BP and Functions is relatively easy, however . . .

Q: How can i alter the mesh objects placement - i don't particularly want the stones in the grass, as it is placed by the MF, however i cannot find where these placed items are coming from, or how they are called for placement.

Cheers!

.LJ

Ok, so i've worked this one out:                   <<< well not quite yet

I just discovered "Landscape Grass Type" 's.

so, apparently these need only be named the same as the Landscape Layer info file and reside in the same folder (sharedassets).

and they then control all spawning of objects onto that Landscape Layer.  <<< ermm, no, actually don't matter i think

This is pretty cool. my question now would be - is there any difference in end-performance between painting foliage (or anything) this way or letting the material spawn foliage ?

Edited by LaughingJack
clarity