Zeno965

Modding Helpdesk

99 posts in this topic

Greetings, comrades!

It`s said in RoyAwesome`s tutorials "Capture Zones and AAS" that we need a SQCaptureZone and SQAASLattice actors  placed in the map, but there I can get them? And also we need BP_Gamemode_AAS, the question is the same.

Edited by Awakened

Is it possible to create a new gamemode where rebels have to defend 2 caches and cap 2 army flags? Like a Insurgency/AAS game mode.

I followed the Creating an Important Actor section on

and am using the weapons cache as an important actor (Army has to destroy it), but I don't have the Register Important Actor node. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Hello, so, i'm getting ready to do a couple of personal projects and i wonder,

One of them is a small urban map with enterable buildings, so regarding this one my question is, anything that UE4 accepts, the game will also accept modeling/shader-wise or are there constraints?

The other question would be regarding new weapons, i can model and texture alright, and i have a friend who says can come up with the proper sounds, but is there or will there be a guide to animate them and make them function properly for the game? Or do you recommend one that helps?

Thanks in advance!

Sadly, I missed the stream but I like text based guides.  So, a couple of rusty noob to "pro" tutorial ideas... conveniently some of the ones I'd like to know and use too... weird.

In many places a reference to the correct terminology would do or in others a simple link.   Pretty much an index page like PR has but more linear (not broken down to difficulty or tips).  I get that Google can help people learn most of these things, outside Squad specifications. Bringing it together in a clear way would help bolster more minds for modding.

Level checklist -- Order of operations.

• Terrain
    • Heightmap
      • Real World Data Sources
      • World Machine Terrain Basics
        • Gist of what to use WM for and what to do in UE.  -- what to not waste your time doing in one or the other.  For me, in terms of texturing and water level.
        • Correct/best resolutions and setups for map scales.
        • Texture setup - Ocean line/elevation/beach (?).  Import and build on an existing heightmap.
        • Erosion/Coastal Erosion
        • How to get the right res out of WM.  Alternative solution if you just need to add some random fine detail to an existing heightmap?
    • UE Terrain
      • Correct resolutions and setups for map scales.
      • Import heightmap
      • Texture base -- ex. if I want to place a static texture over it all that has building markers.  Maybe a way to turn off and on quickly.
      • Procedural Texture setup -- underwater, underwater slope, coast, primary (grass/sand), secondary(dirt), slope, extreme slope, mountain & peaks.
        (when is too far?  I always imagined a grouping of textures that is set by elevation, climate and season)
      • Fine detail texturing
      • Water/Ocean Volume
      • Sky box (future, since true sky is coming?)
      • Environment settings
      • Any limitations, like number of textures etc etc, like there were for BFe
  • Objects
    • Instancing, Grid Snapping
    • Custom (Blender workflow since it's what most cheapskates, like myself, use.)
      • Model Checklist for quality results. -- Order of operations to keep hair loss to a minimum.
      • Lod basics & references, with vert/tri counts for sample objects (I get this is very subjective as you always want the least that looks the best).
      • Texture resources - sources, tools, tiling, resolutions, reusability.
      • UV,  Baking individual maps, combining, projection paint.
        (if anyone knows of a way in Blender to combine a material's normal texture with a geometry's so it creates a single new normal map, let me know.  I've been trying to figure that one out for a while now)
      • Export and import to UE
      • UE materials/shader setups.
      • Any tips on making objects and textures more reusable, but efficient.  Like not adding decals to a building's base texture, common dimensions for working in grids,  when to break up buildings into segments and get the most out of the least work.
        + Info Arch - Ex. In Skyrim they had a single dir for all mod assets so if one mod used the same asset from another that they wouldn't cause conflict (unless a dumbass modified without renaming).  Is there a common setup that we should use to do this for Squad? (would require mod hierarchy/load-order)
  • Roads/Walls (splines)
  • Vegetation - Basic tut on placing and painting vegetation.  Testing shader density and optimization tips.
  • Ambient Sounds and Effects -- Lights, fires, birds, water, etc etc -- + any considerations on performance.
  • Modes setup, tips etc. (given that this where most things will break going forward)
    • Player placement^
    • Teams
    • Spawns
    • Vehicles
    • Roles (are roles/kits on a per map basis?)
    • Objectives
    • Dynamic Environments
  • Final - Minimap, lightmap baking (still static?) etc etc, Packaging

Edited by Dankicity

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

i have this problem >

Did you actually install 4.10.4?  It's a seperate install from the SDK download.  You must install it through the Unreal Engine launcher, and you should install it before unpacking the SDK.

hi Echo',

yep, confirmed, using UE4.10.4. although the launcher is failing atm - saying  i have no internets?!

i will try re-unpacking the rar and see if that works. - i did unpack it before updating, not thinking it would be an issue.

Cheers!

well i just unpacked it again. the windows "open with" dependency(?) was still on UElauncher.

anyhoo. i decided to start the UEeditor and just Open the squad.uproject file. . . . the Squad logo came up and it's initialising something and its taking about 5 minutes . . . so, hopefully . . . :)

Problem:

Squad_SDK: TERRAIN BASE TEXTURE, using layer masks.

i watched a video that showed how to create a terrain using TerreSculpt to make layer masks, and then use those masks to filter the Base Material.

The guy showed how to create a new Base Material by copy-paste 'ing selected materials in the Content, into a single (the first one he opened) Blueprint. He ended up with 3 Material sub-layers (Rock, Grass + Dirt) linked together to make a new Base Material and saved that using his Maps' Name.

My question is: since i cannot seem to copy-paste existing materials from one Blueprint Window to another. . . then, are we not allowed to do that?

If we cannot, it means painting the terrain by hand, yes?

. . . Or! (heh). I'm just stoopid and doing it wrong :P

cheers

.LJ

Does anyone know why the SDK folders are different than what it says? Irontaxi's screenshot shows a "Squad project file", while all that is in MY SDK folder are three folders "Binaries", "Config" and "Content"...

Edited by DanielNL

there is a known error that corrupts the download of the SDK, only way to prevent it seems to be to use a download software or torrent

Hi Zeno,

for me, i re-downloaded the SDK and got the Project file to show correctly (my first problem), but thats now not my current problem, although i will try again using the method(s) you metioned above to see if that helps the current issue, below.

ive replied to Iron' in the discordz: he suggested i delete the contents of the Defered Cache folder in my Squad(?) folder because i am ahving troubles with Master Materials (terrain ones) loosing their initial textures in the blueprint, as soon as i click on them in the Content browser.

seems i dont have this folder anywhere on my computer, so that is a likely cause i think.

if anyone else is having issues like me, please reply, any help is greatly appreciated.

.LJ

On 12.6.2016 at 0:09 AM, Zeno965 said:

there is a known error that corrupts the download of the SDK, only way to prevent it seems to be to use a download software or torrent

The thing is I DID use DownThemAll (Firefox) with 10 download segments parallel... (maybe that's causing it? I'll try 1 segment only this time)

13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Hi Zeno,

for me, i re-downloaded the SDK and got the Project file to show correctly (my first problem), but thats now not my current problem, although i will try again using the method(s) you metioned above to see if that helps the current issue, below.

ive replied to Iron' in the discordz: he suggested i delete the contents of the Defered Cache folder in my Squad(?) folder because i am ahving troubles with Master Materials (terrain ones) loosing their initial textures in the blueprint, as soon as i click on them in the Content browser.

seems i dont have this folder anywhere on my computer, so that is a likely cause i think.

if anyone else is having issues like me, please reply, any help is greatly appreciated.

.LJ

I didnt quite understand your issue here, when you apply the terrain master material it lacks textures?

yep, pretty much, reverts to Default Surface/Material in the previews and on any surface ive applied it/them.

when i click on the Master, to copy it to another folder or simply bring up the right-click context menu, the Masters loose the UV and ColorMap textures from the left-hand nodes in the BP editor. they are gone. this happens as soon as i click on them.

ive posted all the problems here in this thread>

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

yep, pretty much, reverts to Default Surface/Material in the previews and on any surface ive applied it/them.

when i click on the Master, to copy it to another folder or simply bring up the right-click context menu, the Masters loose the UV and ColorMap textures from the left-hand nodes in the BP editor. they are gone. this happens as soon as i click on them.

ive posted all the problems here in this thread>

.LJ

* Heavy breathing down the phone with a Darth Vader voice modifying device.

I have an old pic of you Uppy took with a small fish you caught from the OGN days, I'll post it here unless you post me a teaser. Im pretty good with photoshop now...i can make that fish you caught look bigger, or even smaller...and no-one will ever know except you, me and anyone else who reads this post. It's your choice LJ but i warn you now not to underestimate my photo chopping skills.

Disclaimer.

Ok, this blackmail attempt prolly won't work but i am desperate and willing to try anything! :P

....damn you all the way to Cottie's LJ! ...Do you realize sir, you'd make a terrible hostage negotiator?

How do i add a new weapon to a character? I'm making hk 416 model and if it is possible i can just replace the m4 mesh with hk 416 so i would not need to mess with new animations. Might find out myself later as i havent figured out how everything is supposed to be set up, but it's nice if someone gives me a hint :D

4_zpsdchwjwfv.png

hk416preview_zps1k4jawvm.png

Edited by FalkeS

On 6/18/2016 at 1:06 PM, rulie said:
On 6/26/2016 at 8:09 PM, FalkeS said:

How do i add a new weapon to a character? I'm making hk 416 model and if it is possible i can just replace the m4 mesh with hk 416 so i would not need to mess with new animations. Might find out myself later as i havent figured out how everything is supposed to be set up, but it's nice if someone gives me a hint :D

To anyone having the same question, here's what i did -  I exported the M4 and imported it into 3d modelling software, adjusted all moving gun parts to bones, exported the model, imported <as skeletal mesh>, copied the m4 blueprint and edited to my new model. :)

Why is the process of running the SDK first time taking more than 20 minutes? What large content/heavily encrypted content is there in the SDK that the CPU has to work on THAT long? (I got my i7 2600K running @ 4.4 GHz, no thermal throttling as it's cooled to 70°C)

Another thing: Does anyone in Squad Modding Community buy full version of L3DT, I would like to convert my three srtm.tar.gz files from OpenTopo into an HFZ file to start working on 4km² (or even 8 or 16km² ?! :) ) maps for Squad. :)

(as explained in this video)