SHARED TEXTURES / ASSETS

Apologies is any of this stuff is broken / doesn't function straight away! Not too sure how happy UE4 is when you just rip out stuff and chuck it into other projects but all the content I throw up here will include any source assets I've created and used to make it easier!

1. Basic Snow Texture - SOURCE - http://puu.sh/oz9WM/679272ac2c.rar

• Albedo (Base Colour)
  • Roughness
  • Normal
  • Height

Additional Notes: You can use the height map for displacement / tessellation! Also, make sure you turn SRGB off in the Roughness once it's imported.

2. Basic Snow Material - ENGINE - http://puu.sh/ozbtX/3e865fe5cf.rar

• Set up for Tessellation
  • Set up for Use with Landscape
  • M_BasicSnow

Additional Notes: Requires Basic Snow Texture assets - unless you're using your own and using the material as a reference!

3. Snow Particle System - ENGINE - http://puu.sh/ozapn/64d3a1c20e.rar

• x2 Lit Snowflake Materials (Basic Node & Custom Alpha)
  • x2 Unlit Snowflake Materials (Basic Node & Custom Alpha)
  • Snow Particle System
  • Snowflake Alpha

Additional Notes: The values on the Particle System are fairly high and I created a basic node shape and custom alpha if you want to see how they're set up. You can just create a bunch of different alpha masks in Photoshop (or equivalent) and then use them to create more varied snow fall effects!

ORIGINAL POST

Hey guys!

So I got bored tonight which turned into something productive! Long story short - I'm now going to undertake a little project to learn more about Unreal Engine 4 and just generally creating shaders / more complex materials since I never went past the basics!

Anything I create from this will be available for you all to use in your own projects, once I'm happy with the quality and that it functions well. If it's something a little harder to distribute to you I'll most likely create video tutorials showing you how to do it yourself and provide the source content I've made!

To start off, I created a tiling snow texture in Substance Designer with feedback from the awesome guys in the Squad Modding Hub Discord! It's definitely a lot more appealing than just having a basic, flat white ground - it also has tasty tessellation on the material in UE4 although you can disable it / adjust the multiplier since I haven't even considered any possible performance hits. Piccies below!

a175dee8c5.png

64a2dd5d9c.png

I'll be working on this texture for a little longer as well as creating several variations for blending / painting to help cover up the tiling (icy, settled, melting etc)! Along with those variations I'll be looking into some simple particle stuff for creating snow fall, I've done it before so it shouldn't be that much of a hassle.. once that's done I'll begin experimentation with creating a shader that covers objects in snow based on something like a gradient / position map or world space normal - basically, snow will cover certain things in a logical manner starting from the top - but that's something I haven't really explored and will probably take me a life time. :P

All of this stuff will be happening fairly slowly due to university commitments and whatnot but I'll keep this thread updated and I'll be happy to answer any questions on Discord / PM's. Please be gentle, I'm learning. :D

I should have one or two textures available for you guys to use by the end of tomorrow hopefully!

Cheers guys! :D

10 hours ago, smo0ths said:

sick i can imagine snow camo and really nice snow weather effects

I don't have any snow camo but I did mess around with some really basic particle emitter stuff and fog values really quickly!

2dd16baeee.gif

56 minutes ago, Assifuah said:

Cheers guys! :D

I don't have any snow camo but I did mess around with some really basic particle emitter stuff and fog values really quickly!

2dd16baeee.gif

IS IT RAINING WHITE CIRCLES?

But honestly @Assifuah, GUDE JUB. I appreciate you doing all this and if I ever get the SDK to download I will definitely be contacting you about potentially using this in my NA map... My plan is to build a map based on the boreal forests of northern Ontario, would make for some killer firefights... If I can find a way to reduce the render distance that is... Otherwise you'd need quad-SLI Titan-Z to play it at low settings... (trees everywhere, and it will look like real forest) No offense meant to OWI but the forests we have now are not real forest because real forest like I'm talking about has a visibility drop off around 10m

Once I get the SDK up and running my first two tests will be high concentrations of buildings and high concentrations of foliage/grass to see the performance hits first hand.

Warfare in a winter wonderlaaaand!

Great stuff, loving those effects!

15 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

But honestly @Assifuah, GUDE JUB. I appreciate you doing all this and if I ever get the SDK to download I will definitely be contacting you about potentially using this in my NA map... My plan is to build a map based on the boreal forests of northern Ontario, would make for some killer firefights... If I can find a way to reduce the render distance that is... Otherwise you'd need quad-SLI Titan-Z to play it at low settings... (trees everywhere, and it will look like real forest) No offense meant to OWI but the forests we have now are not real forest because real forest like I'm talking about has a visibility drop off around 10m

Once I get the SDK up and running my first two tests will be high concentrations of buildings and high concentrations of foliage/grass to see the performance hits first hand.

Cheers mate! That sounds hella awesome to be honest, would definitely like to see denser environments with crazy low visibility! Yeah, I'm sure OWI can stretch it and make it even more dense but I understand what you mean. :D

Awesome, can't wait to see it mate! Seeing all these ideas and concepts coming to life in the SDK is so fun!

Edit: Added to OP!

SHARED TEXTURES / ASSETS

Apologies is any of this stuff is broken / doesn't function straight away! Not too sure how happy UE4 is when you just rip out stuff and chuck it into other projects but all the content I throw up here will include any source assets I've created and used to make it easier!

1. Basic Snow Texture - SOURCE - http://puu.sh/oz9WM/679272ac2c.rar

• Albedo (Base Colour)
  • Roughness
  • Normal
  • Height

Additional Notes: You can use the height map for displacement / tessellation! Also, make sure you turn SRGB off in the Roughness once it's imported.

2. Basic Snow Material - ENGINE - http://puu.sh/ozbtX/3e865fe5cf.rar

• Set up for Tessellation
  • Set up for Use with Landscape
  • M_BasicSnow

Additional Notes: Requires Basic Snow Texture assets - unless you're using your own and using the material as a reference!

3. Snow Particle System - ENGINE - http://puu.sh/ozapn/64d3a1c20e.rar

• x2 Lit Snowflake Materials (Basic Node & Custom Alpha)
  • x2 Unlit Snowflake Materials (Basic Node & Custom Alpha)
  • Snow Particle System
  • Snowflake Alpha

Additional Notes: The values on the Particle System are fairly high and I created a basic node shape and custom alpha if you want to see how they're set up. You can just create a bunch of different alpha masks in Photoshop (or equivalent) and then use them to create more varied snow fall effects!

28 minutes ago, ButterflyCar said:

fools road snow version confirmed ? =) 

Haha, I wish! I'm just using the Helicopter Base area as a little testing zone. Once I get a few snow based ground textures created I'll be making my own terrain to use from there on. :D

Haha, I wish! I'm just using the Helicopter Base area as a little testing zone. Once I get a few snow based ground textures created I'll be making my own terrain to use from there on.

Yeah but shouldn't it be relatively easy to do a winter version of it?

18 hours ago, ButterflyCar said:

Yeah but shouldn't it be relatively easy to do a winter version of it?

Not without completely restructuring the existing materials / master materials for assets! I mean, you could have objects without any snow build up on them but that just breaks my whole mood of it being a snow / winter version!

However, after talking with Irontaxi and just generally watching the livestreams he puts up it seems that creating a full snowed down map at this moment in time is a stretch. We'll be better off waiting till a later stage and see if OWI make a snow map themselves and learning from that since there's a lot of technical stuff behind the way they make their maps.. and to be honest, that's a lot more complicated than the stuff I do which is just make arty things and drag and drop them into the SDK. :P

It's possible.. but to a fully immersive level you would have to do a lot of work. Optimization being the main factor.