Sign in to follow this  
Aniallator

Accessing roles

Three suggestions on how I'd like to see the accessing of roles implemented in Squad, breaking away from the fundamental PR system.

1. You cannot "pick up" kits. In PR/Squad a kit is treated as something you have and something you use, not something you are. It's treated no different than a baseball bat, or a shoe. Why? If you're a DM, you're a DM. You don't lug around a DMR and trained marksmanship skills as though they're an entity, passing them to the next person at will. Where's the realism in being a helicopter pilot one moment, and being an LAT the next? IMO, when you spawn with a kit, you are that kit. If you want to change your kit, wait until you are no longer among the living. You don't spawn as a shoe, only to drop it for something else. You are the shoe.

2. Coinciding with my first point, all kits would be selected via the spawn menu. No more taking special kits from supply crates.

3. Limit SLs to the squad leader kit. Let's assume, for a moment, that being an "AT Gunner" is a position in the sense that being an SL is a position. Where's the logic in allowing AT Gunners to be DMs, or grenadiers, or riflemen, and not limiting them to HATs/LATs? The same goes for SLs and the SL kit.

Unfortunately, people don't like big changes, especially when those changes deal with fundamental features of PR. I imagine many people will look at this with a PR mentality and think "Meh". As a result, I doubt many will give these suggestions a second thought, but I'd like to see them, so no point in not throwing them out there.

Edited by Aniallator

1. You currently can't pick up kits and I don't think that it's even planned to be added as a feature. There were discussions about swapping weapons or picking up certain pieces of equipment from downed teammates, but not their entire kits.

2. Why? If you've got one medic in squad and he leaves, should one of your guys suicide to switch to the medic role? That doesn't make any sense at all. What is the basis for your suggestion here?

3. Aren't squad leader kits limited to SL only already? I've never noticed anyone picking up an SL kit unless he is the SL, but sure, SL kits for SLs only.

One wouldn't think that you have ever played Squad Aniallator...

1 - its already that way, don't think it will change.

2 - it really makes a lot of sense to be able to change gear in your FOB, for example if the SL role is passed to you by a leaving teammate, or your medic(s) leaves your squad. would make no sense to change.

3 - only the SL can pick the SL kit... truely SL's shouldn't choose the Grenadier kit, but TBH, that's VERY rarely a problem. I guess the SL kit could be the only kit SL's could choose, that wouldn't break or ruin anything.

They aren't really suggestions when its mostly already implemented. Well that's my opinion anyway.

So what happens when vehicles are implemented? 

Say a friendly with a lat dies beside you and there is some sort of armor. I don't think I'd just sit there and die if I had the opportunity to do something to it.

It doesn't take a genius to pick up a rocket, aim down its sights and press a trigger. Neither for an AR. Nor a sniper or DMR.

With this logic you're going to need a kit for manning: a TOW, an HMG, and a technical (not everyone can drive xD).

1. Okay thank you, I assumed we'd be seeing this eventually!

2. I didn't phrase that well, I apologize. I was actually referring to special kits (HAT, pilot, sniper, et cetera), and that you should be able to access them via the spawn menu, and hence spawn as them. I don't know if this will be the case, but I'm just saying based on PR. I'm not opposed to changing kits at FOBs, though I think it needs to stay like just that, at FOBs, and not from supply crates as in PR.

Edited by Aniallator

From Kickstarter Bootcamp #4: 

"Tech Structures are used to expand the functionality of a FOB, so necessities like ammo dumps, armories to change kit roles and a casualty collection point to take in wounded"

I hope devs didn't forget about it, I'd like to see players able to change kit only through special armories, which should belong to higher tier compared to simple ammo crates.

13 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

From Kickstarter Bootcamp #4: 

"Tech Structures are used to expand the functionality of a FOB, so necessities like ammo dumps, armories to change kit roles and a casualty collection point to take in wounded"

I hope devs didn't forget about it, I'd like to see players able to change kit only through special armories, which should belong to higher tier compared to simple ammo crates.

Yeah, I think changing kits (changing, not picking up) from an FOB armory would be great, especially if changing kits was limited to armories or armories and APCs.