OakleyHidef

Normandy Map

Damn I hate World Machine's landscapes. The errosion is very good for some Afganistan mountains, but for middle Europian hills it just so hard to do something good with it...

I mean when you trying to make something like this:

picjpg_5372463_21940304.jpg

WM is not giving you anything usable...

Edited by FishMan

Wow, I am not sure that OakleyHidef would be delighted if we start to discuss something else...

But blurring is removing all details and using mask for it is not helping either...

I found that inverting the heighmap after errosion and then using expander node can be usefull but it's still far from realistic... 

Ok I think I have to make a topic...

picjpg_5134941_21945456.jpg

I agree the WM erosion can look out of place but once Ive started populating the map with vegetation, Im happy with how the landscape looks

UE4Editor 2016-05-15 12-55-14-69.jpg

So how to make both heightmap (most detailed one) and that google earth picture imported onto a map so that is perfectly lined up with the heights and used a as base texture layer? Can anyone show in a video please?

Edited by Friesen

21 hours ago, OakleyHidef said:

Some bunker hype ;)bunker.jpg

I really don't want to pick fault as I absolutely love what you're doing but the textures for the buildings look to clean and perfect. I hope you plan to weather them a little bit in the future. Please don't take offense and if you have I apologise.

14 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I really don't want to pick fault as I absolutely love what you're doing but the textures for the buildings look to clean and perfect. I hope you plan to weather them a little bit in the future. Please don't take offense and if you have I apologise.

Thanks for the feedback man and no offense taken at all! I agree completely, at the moment it looks like something out of a "Spring Bunker Catalog" or something lol. Everything including the model is definitely still WIP. Definitely expect the bunkers to feel more authentic, weathered, and lived in by final release :)

I agree the WM erosion can look out of place but once Ive started populating the map with vegetation, Im happy with how the landscape looks

Hey! May be this is the key?

Maybe i just should move on with what I have...

Edited by FishMan

I'm lucky I got a texture pack with my old 3d program that has lots of weathered realistic textures....:P

44 minutes ago, FishMan said:

Hey! May be this is the key?

Maybe i just should move on with what I have...

yep definitely give that a shot and see how it looks

On 5/15/2016 at 7:40 PM, FishMan said:

Wow, I am not sure that OakleyHidef would be delighted if we start to discuss something else...

But blurring is removing all details and using mask for it is not helping either...

I found that inverting the heighmap after errosion and then using expander node can be usefull but it's still far from realistic... 

Ok I think I have to make a topic...

picjpg_5134941_21945456.jpg

Hey,

I'm the project lead and mapper on a standalone WW2 game similar to Squad. I've been making a really detailed Normandy map for the last year or so. 

I began in World Machine and generated a basic height map. The big issue I found is that you can get only about 10% of the way towards a good looking map (by good-looking I mean non-procedurally generated) with the auto-tools. While I generated out topography, I found that only by hand sculpting and texturing the terrain using relatively complex material setups allowed me to get anything close to what I was aiming for in terms of look. The other trap is that you end up on terrain that is too small (similar to OP First Light) where you're cresting valleys and mountains that should be 100x the size.

The big issues were basically that so much of the Norman landscape is informed by thousands of years of agrarian culture. Farmers piling rocks at the edges of fields, which in turn lead to hedgerows, which receded to create sunken lanes. What this means is that splat and height maps don't really do proper justice to the map, as much of the detail is very small scale on the map (ie. no large topographical features for the technology to read properly). 

All the towns and settlements are laid out in a triangular pattern on old crossroads, which leads to a lot of totally unique settlement planning. I studied a lot of aerial photography (and have also been there which helps) to determine the way towns and countryside was laid out. 

Another big issue I faced was creating and plotting variation in the environment in order to offer many types of gameplay in a single map. Flooded fields, culverts, stone bridges, railway lines, fields, hedgerows, sunken lanes, church yards etc. My aim is to offer a map experience similar to RO2 but across a 4km square area.

That said, I think the way OP is going about it is great (while different to my own). The only thing I'd watch out for (and he probably is) is that the map doesn't suffer from too little cover or a very autogenerated feel. Also, our map kind of captures a heightened realism to offer 100 different types of environment and combat to a level matching Skyrim or an RPG. We probably have slightly different goals in gameplay which in turn inform the ethos when approaching mapping.

Edited by +++++

On 15.5.2016 at 7:03 PM, OakleyHidef said:

Y U ALIGN TO NORMAL :(

While you're trying to create RO2 map experience but on bigger maps. I've noticed several drawbacks to not having lethal shots to the head or chest/torso because it makes you at a disadvantageous position if you open fire at incoming attacking enemy, best you can do is only injure them and what it does to you it exposes your position and you quickly get shot. So if shots to the head and chest were lethal then opening fire over longer distances from defensive positions would be more beneficial just like in ww2 defensive placement were pretty tough to break. Unlike in Squad sitting in a trench will quickly get you killed and you can't shoot at the enemy from large distances because they'll revive themselves easily so it discourages from having long range firefight except for just temporarily injuring someone.

Edited by Friesen

9 hours ago, Mitsu said:

Y U ALIGN TO NORMAL :(

Unfortunately the procedural grass tool (that attaches to the grass landscape layer) currently looks really bad when not aligned to normal at the moment. If you hand paint it, it looks really good. Epic are working on a fix I believe.

1 hour ago, Friesen said:

While you're trying to create RO2 map experience but on bigger maps. I've noticed several drawbacks to not having lethal shots to the head or chest/torso because it makes you at a disadvantageous position if you open fire at incoming attacking enemy, best you can do is only injure them and what it does to you it exposes your position and you quickly get shot. So if shots to the head and chest were lethal then opening fire over longer distances from defensive positions would be more beneficial just like in ww2 defensive placement were pretty tough to break. Unlike in Squad sitting in a trench will quickly get you killed and you can't shoot at the enemy from large distances because they'll revive themselves easily so it discourages from having long range firefight except for just temporarily injuring someone.

You've touched on the exact reason we're doing one-shot kills to vitals. WW2 soldiers didn't have the benefit of kevlar.

12 hours ago, +++++ said:

Unfortunately the procedural grass tool (that attaches to the grass landscape layer) currently looks really bad when not aligned to normal at the moment. If you hand paint it, it looks really good. Epic are working on a fix I believe.

Source that it does not work / Epic fixing it? I'm pretty sure I've seen numerous spots in Squad Maps where procedural foliage is not aligned to normal and looks well and good.

15 hours ago, +++++ said:

You've touched on the exact reason we're doing one-shot kills to vitals. WW2 soldiers didn't have the benefit of kevlar.

This is great but another thing while we're at it, is that medics completely have no place in a ww2 game. It makes the game more frustrating because you don't want to give up and waste tickets and it isn't a desired role for the player to play as medics, running around and wasting time reviving everyone. I also extremely dislike the idea of bandaging yourself in fps games. In Darkest Hour, you get shot in the leg, you temporarily lose the speed and fall on the ground or hit in the arms you lose the balance of your weapon and aiming becomes difficult. The only thing medics in game I see could be useful is to treat these minor injuries that players sustained in the arms or legs which would enable them to bring back their aiming and running ability to normal. But revivability is just too gamey sort of like it was in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, reviving soldiers back to battle just didn't happen in ww2, they were usually dragged out of the battle to the back lines and in a game like Squad it just wastes to much time waiting for a medic to come because you're afraid to waste tickets. When I play Squad I really wish sometimes when I get shot I could just respawn and fight back. This is how I really really wish gameplay would be like in your mod where I'd be no longer frustrating over waiting for stupid medics that probably dread themselves about having to revive another teammate after teammate...

Another thing I wanted to touch that while you're at creating a mod and thus having the opportunity to change what wasn't really working in squad is FOBs. If it was up to me I would once and for all solve the issue of FOBs being encircled, attacked, defended, just ever to be fought over it in general. No, FOBs should only serve as a means of getting back to the battle imo. Only flags should be fought over and any unexpected enemy encounters along the way. FOBs distract the battle into to many places and having FOBs taken out of the focus from players to be attacked/defended would reduce the amount of scattering of troops all over the map. Everytime majority of time FOBs are destroyed by the enemy without the team being aware of it thus unfairly losing 10 tickets. Everyone else is either busy fighting for a flag or engaging enemy somewhere else and so it is impossible to keep an eye on it at all times. I would restrict the FOBs to be placeable only within certain distance from the flag such as 400m. So that it is used only when the rally point IS GONE. As well as the FOB having a SPAWN PROTECTION so that the enemy can not touch it and spam nade the players spawning on it.

Edited by Friesen

If you are talking to ++++ (I didn't count the plusses, sorry),  he is making a full standalone game and not a mod.

And I personally think you should continue that gameplay discussion in a different place and not misuse poor oakley's thread for it :P

18 hours ago, r0tzbua said:

If you are talking to ++++ (I didn't count the plusses, sorry),  he is making a full standalone game and not a mod.

And I personally think you should continue that gameplay discussion in a different place and not misuse poor oakley's thread for it :P

Agreed

On 15.5.2016. at 7:03 PM, OakleyHidef said:

Great looking! Definitely some Everon vibes there :D

Just wanted to say that I'm impressed by your work.  Surely great gameplay await us :)

Keep it up!