OakleyHidef

Normandy Map

5 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Is this real? ;)

No, that's UNREAL :ph34r:

Great job dude, keep on!

14 minutes ago, SirTactician said:

When dis guy is making faster progress than devs.

thats really not how it works at all though 9_9

On 27.4.2016 at 5:15 AM, ChanceBrahh said:

Moved this is 'Modding'

This is really nice btw been keeping an eye on the discord chat about it, this with the m1a1 carbine <3

m1 garand someone?

@r0tzbua got both :P

5 hours ago, MikeDude said:

My house mate came in and asked why I had a boner looking at a forum...

Your house must be fun if you look at each other´s privates when entering a room, do you have an empty room for me to live in? :D

Im happy to announce going forwards this map will be made in collaboration with and especially for the Fallen Heroes WW2 mod for squad. Ive finally got a bit of time this weekend to hop back on the SDK and cant wait to work on some new stuff.  For now just want to share these additional reference albums I put together to share the landscapes and environments I hope to  emulate in my map.

http://imgur.com/a/G1LoH

http://imgur.com/a/DdiSE

Also wanted to share this quote from Stephen Ambrose in regards to the hedgerow fighting that dominated inland Normandy 

" The Norman hedgerows dated back to Roman times. They were mounds of earth to keep cattle in and to mark boundaries. Typically there was only one entry into the small field enclosed by the hedgerows, which were irregular in length as well as height and set at odd angles. On the sunken roads the brush often met overhead, giving the GIs a feeling of being trapped in a leafy tunnel. Wherever they looked the view was blocked by walls of vegetation.

Undertaking an offensive in the hedgerows was risky, costly, time-consuming, fraught with frustration. It was like fighting in a maze. Platoons found themselves completely lost a few minutes after launching an attack. Squads got separated. Just as often, two platoons from the same company could occupy adjacent fields for hours before discovering each other's presence. The small fields limited deployment possibilities; seldom during the first week of battle did a unit as large as a company go into an attack intact.

Where the Americans got lost, the Germans were at home. The 352nd Division had been in Normandy for months, training for this battle. Further, the Germans were geniuses at utilizing the fortification possibilities of the hedgerows. In the early days of the battle, many GIs were killed or wounded because they dashed through the opening into a field, just the kind of aggressive tactics they had been taught, only to be cut down by pre-sited machine-gun fire or mortars (mortars caused three quarters of American casualties in Normandy)."

On 27.4.2016 at 6:21 AM, OakleyHidef said:

UPDATE

some early morning fog shows off nicely the new cliffs of Normandy and vegetation i've been working with :D

aBl15zp.jpg

Now we only need them ropes! :D Beautiful!

Like someone is doing D-day, but disappointed it is Pointe du hoc.

The battle for Point Du Hoc was first cliff climbing with ropes and grappling hook attack by first Rangers group.  The guns that were supposed to be there that was their target to take out before the Dday landings were not there but two guys found them later hidden aways down the road from there by seeing heavy tracks on the road that they concluded must have been the guns being moved that produced those tracks. They had heavy battles there and had to wait longer than planned to get reinforced...running out of ammo and supplies, oh and they did take out the guns with explosives designed to disable them. :)

Edited by XRobinson
spelling

The battle for Point Du Hoc was first cliff climbing with ropes and grappling hook attack by first Rangers group.  The guns that were supposed to be there that was their target to take out before the Dday landings were not there but two guys found them later hidden aways down the road from there by seeing heavy tracks on the road that they concluded must have been the guns being moved that produced those tracks. They had heavy battles there and had to wait longer than planned to get reinforced...running out of ammo and supplies, oh and they did take out the guns with explosives designed to disable them.

Yeah I remember that from a documentary, they had problems aswell climbing with the grappling hooks due to wet ropes. Something they hadn't practiced. Took them by surprise!!

Actually Mavarickos the Germans noticed them coming up the cliffs and or saw them coming in the boats...and they still pressed on with mission while being shot at.

59 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Yeah no way is Point Du Hoc a dissapointing scenario to play...135 killed and wounded there...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointe_du_Hoc

Having a large number killed doesn't automatically make invulnerable to being disappointing. 

A. Its one of the 2 most done D-Day maps

B. Its about as 1 sided as you can get and will be a nightmare to play unless you already has a early start point for the US on the cliffs

C. You are getting into the Special Forces area, not sure what squads final word on them will be but if its like PR then it will get shot down

D. Its VERY direct assault, and narrow, which means more action, less flanking and more spawn rape.

Im disappointed some people think because they played a certain map on other games that somehow it will play the same on a different game with same map....to me a new game engine, mechanics, design can mean better play on a same map....this scenerio can go either way for Germans or Allies; perfect for playing either side. You can be disappointed by that I see it as ridiculous. Add destruction that those other games didnt have and it even gets better...Special forces did not exist in WW2 they were named Rangers! formed after a Briton marine squad that was tasked with behind the lines warfare I believe. :)

Finally done with Finals and situated back home from college with my PC. I am starting an actual 4kmx4km map, everything up to this point has been practice and seeing what I can do with the current assets. The first 4km map I tackle will be based off the omaha beach sectors and surrounding inland. I won't be going for 1:1 historical or geographical accuracy to make things easier on myself but will be going for as authentic a map as I can. Here are some early images of the beach and some trenches up the beach.  

H40KaE7.jpg