OakleyHidef

Normandy Map

108 posts in this topic

As a way to teach myself UE4 and learn how to use the SDK I have decided to create a map modeled of Normandy. Growing up, I went to Normandy to visit family every summer and its inconic landscapes are engrained in my mind's eye. I hope to model the shape of the map after an area by Calais called Point Gris Nez or "Point Grey Nose"  

JsiGXCb.jpg

The area offers a nice variety of rural farmland, dramatic cliffsides not unlike dover and small towns.  I will be taking liberties with the map's authenticity and drawing from inspiration all over northern France. Here are some locations I hope to convey in the map. 

1: Point Du Hoc

pointe-du-hoc-today.jpg?w=584&h=438

0556354d0ff8241173bb3a7564334c85.jpg

The natural beauty of the coastal cliffs pockmarked with WW2 craters is quite stunning. Add in some old bunkers and you have yourself a fun time. 

2:Patchworked Fields

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/an-aerial-view-of-fields-bordered-by-bocage-near-the-city-of-in-picture-id495449615

Inland there will be rural countryside and patchworked fields that lead to larger towns.

3: Hedgerow Paths

Ridgeway-Watlington.jpg

I want a big theme for the rural part of the map to be decisions between "Hey do we book it across this open field with little cover or do we take this claustrophobic path between neighboring fields thats an ambush waiting to happen?" I love the battle scenes in Normandy and Northern France depicted in Band of Brothers and Saving Private ryan as well so you can bet those will have influences as well on some map areas :D

Early Tests have been promising as I learn how to use the unreal engine. Ive built some test environments to see if I could make an area look convincingly like Normandy with the current SDK assets.

I made a barn from the eastern european parts: http://imgur.com/a/vbsor

And built a western European house and small village scene

8jaRtiC.jpg

Early tests on cliffsides were pretty cool!

fuPZOon.jpg

And I did some experimenting with patchwork fields.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vTTBM.

I still have alot to learn but it certainly seems possible to make the map of my dreams with the current assets coupled with some more from EPIC that I need to look more into (notice their flowers I began using in the last picture that really add to the scene IMO). I still have alot to learn about the engine and making maps but I plan to keep this thread updated with regular updates on my progress so if anyone's interested in a map like i've described above, you know where to check in ;) 

Going forwards I hope to learn alot more about materials so that I can make wet materials to recreate a nice looking normandy beach like as shown here in the UE4 game "Our Ghosts of War" and make my own terrain materials more suited for my needs as currently Ive been using the Fools Road one which is lacking in some necessary materials like sand. 

HighresScreenshot00010.jpg

I also hope to expand this set of western European modural parts so that I can quickly and easily construct houses that fit the locale. 

WWbI2He.jpg

As a regular visitor to Normandy and WW2 fan I am very interested to see your progress.

To get a better flavour of Normandy though you with need to model their granite stone buildings with grey slate roofs and window shutters.

There are videos showing how to import heightmaps but I can't find a single video showing how to import a google map picture (top view) for to use it as a base layer texture to match the heightmaps so I can paint over it with my textures.

Could you please show how to import a google map material onto a map? I don't mean the heights but the picture that you take screenshot from google earth top view and place it in the editor so that it matches the heightmap as well and use it as a base layer texture.

The reason for this is because if I import only the heightmaps I still can't see where are the fields/trees/buildings/villages that you see on google earth and in order to paint over them to match the real world fields/trees/houses etc.

Edited by Friesen

I think hou have to do that by hand, have the sat image next to you while you work. Start in one area and work your way across your map.

Know that mapping takes time.

No because importing a satellite image was possible to do as far back as in the old Unreal Engine 2004 but I haven't seen anywhere how to do that in the UE4 editor and don't know how to do that. Could anyone show please how to have the satellite image lined up with the heights in the UE4?

Edited by Friesen

9 hours ago, OakleyHidef said:

Going forwards I hope to learn alot more about materials so that I can make wet materials to recreate a nice looking normandy beach like as shown here in the UE4 game "Our Ghosts of War" and make my own terrain materials more suited for my needs as currently Ive been using the Fools Road one which is lacking in some necessary materials like sand. 

Holy... I thought it was a real picture for a moment. 

11 hours ago, OakleyHidef said:
Spoiler

As a way to teach myself UE4 and learn how to use the SDK I have decided to create a map modeled of Normandy. Growing up, I went to Normandy to visit family every summer and its inconic landscapes are engrained in my mind's eye. I hope to model the shape of the map after an area by Calais called Point Gris Nez or "Point Grey Nose"  

JsiGXCb.jpg

The area offers a nice variety of rural farmland, dramatic cliffsides not unlike dover and small towns.  I will be taking liberties with the map's authenticity and drawing from inspiration all over northern France. Here are some locations I hope to convey in the map. 

1: Point Du Hoc

pointe-du-hoc-today.jpg?w=584&h=438

0556354d0ff8241173bb3a7564334c85.jpg

The natural beauty of the coastal cliffs pockmarked with WW2 craters is quite stunning. Add in some old bunkers and you have yourself a fun time. 

2:Patchworked Fields

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/an-aerial-view-of-fields-bordered-by-bocage-near-the-city-of-in-picture-id495449615

Inland there will be rural countryside and patchworked fields that lead to larger towns.

3: Hedgerow Paths

Ridgeway-Watlington.jpg

I want a big theme for the rural part of the map to be decisions between "Hey do we book it across this open field with little cover or do we take this claustrophobic path between neighboring fields thats an ambush waiting to happen?" I love the battle scenes in Normandy and Northern France depicted in Band of Brothers and Saving Private ryan as well so you can bet those will have influences as well on some map areas :D

Early Tests have been promising as I learn how to use the unreal engine. Ive built some test environments to see if I could make an area look convincingly like Normandy with the current SDK assets.

I made a barn from the eastern european parts: http://imgur.com/a/vbsor

And built a western European house and small village scene

8jaRtiC.jpg

Early tests on cliffsides were pretty cool!

fuPZOon.jpg

And I did some experimenting with patchwork fields.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vTTBM.

I still have alot to learn but it certainly seems possible to make the map of my dreams with the current assets coupled with some more from EPIC that I need to look more into (notice their flowers I began using in the last picture that really add to the scene IMO). I still have alot to learn about the engine and making maps but I plan to keep this thread updated with regular updates on my progress so if anyone's interested in a map like i've described above, you know where to check in ;) 

I also hope to expand this set of western European modural parts so that I can quickly and easily construct houses that fit the locale. 

WWbI2He.jpg

I Love You!!!

6 hours ago, Russian_Marine said:

looks pretty good for a start!

keep us updated bro!

Let's get this stickied!

1 hour ago, LugNut said:

All this WW2 mapping activity is making me very happy. :)

Right!

10 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

As a regular visitor to Normandy and WW2 fan I am very interested to see your progress.

To get a better flavour of Normandy though you with need to model their granite stone buildings with grey slate roofs and window shutters.

Yeah Im hoping eventually I can create a set of modular building parts and prefabs more fit for the area, the barn and walls shown above are just the beginning :) 

6 hours ago, OakleyHidef said:

right?!

I thought it was too! Just a reference pic.... F#%&^me!

13 minutes ago, LugNut said:

I thought it was too! Just a reference pic.... F#%&^me!

That's the beauty of realistic skies. Even so it's an impressive image for a game render. 

Wow

If Squad is going Squad:WW2.... you've gotta get on the team.. ffs mate..
I'm speachless... thought it was real pictures at first, keep up the good work maaaaan

12 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Wow

If Squad is going Squad:WW2.... you've gotta get on the team.. ffs mate..
I'm speachless... thought it was real pictures at first, keep up the good work maaaaan

The beach pic that has been posted is from another UE4 game, "Our Ghosts of War" :)

1 hour ago, carmikaze said:

The beach pic that has been posted is from another UE4 game, "Our Ghosts of War" :)

Correct, as stated in my original post, that beach pic is not mine haha, It is however a beautiful example of the types of environments and feel I hope to recreate in this map.

Pin pin pin.... needs to be pinned.... map discussion..... 

Nice work mate :D 

Edited by Hunter_Sh0tz

Moved this is 'Modding'

This is really nice btw been keeping an eye on the discord chat about it, this with the m1a1 carbine <3

m1 garand someone?

UPDATE

some early morning fog shows off nicely the new cliffs of Normandy and vegetation i've been working with :D

aBl15zp.jpg

2 hours ago, OakleyHidef said:

UPDATE

some early morning fog shows off nicely the new cliffs of Normandy and vegetation i've been working with :D

aBl15zp.jpg

Is this real? ;)