Sign in to follow this  
Bek

Ballistics & Reticles

Hey.

So I play a fair bit of Arma3 and I'm of course interested in Squad. It says on the KS page that squad will have:

Server side, simulated Newtonian physics with our custom physics engine code. From small arms to grenade launchers, mounted machine guns to dumb-fire rockets, we aim to have working sights that significantly up the level of immersion when it comes to firing your weapon.

So what exactly can we expect? I know the FAQ page says that 'feature X will probably be included later on', but I have some specific questions and I'd be interested in seeing some discussion about this stuff anyway, so: Will rounds have a realistic BC? Will different types of ammunition be available, and will those types have unique values for things like BC, Penetration modifier... If I hit someone center mass with 7.62x51 will I know they're likely to bleed out very soon?

And more importantly, how will damage be calculated? Will it be a guesstimated, flat value per ammo type? (Good for balance, bad for realism)? Or more based on KE (at impact) + round type (since it's not KE that wounds, but rather the permanent cavity, so a slower, weaker round could potentially do more damage). I'm also curious how you'll be considering balance vs. realism, when it comes to things like 5.56 vs 5.45, where I might expect more "damage" (base KE) from 5.56x45 but more of a permanent cavity from 5.45x39 (or more bleeding effects if they exist). I'd greatly prefer the latter so that getting shot at distance or through cover will come with a significant reduction to damage received.

Further along this line, how will body armour factor into things? Will no penetration (like a lvl3 plate getting hit with 5.56) = no damage, but perhaps some suppression/shock affect? Or will that simply not make sense from a gameplay perspective and not be considered? Will there be any circumstances where a player can survive a headshot?

And on the optics side of things, I assume by fully working you mean the reticles will be calibrated correctly? If so, fantastic. I've just recently been fixing some reticles for breaking point (arma 3 mod) and making the ACOG posts correctly zeroed for 5.56, calibrating the stadiametric rangefinder on the PSO-1 and so on; things like that matter to me so it'd be great to know similar features exist in squad. Along that line, what zeroing incriments will be available? 100m? 50m? Do you plan to add first focal plane optics with working MIL dots for ranging purposes? Or does that stuff exceed the scope (sorry) of Squad?

edit: Oh, one more: Will we be able to switch between reticles as we do in arma? So I can switch between the red dot and the full scope on the ACOG, or switch between the PSO-1's optic and the weapons iron sights?

I can answer your reticle questions with probably. Project Reality accurately simulated calibrated reticles and there were options to switch sights.

I just saw the recorded live stream, not sure how old it is but the ACOG in that had a plain + crosshair for its reticle. On the trijicon website there are similar reticles but most have posts for that caliber. The design with the chevron is probably my favourite though.

But anyway; if the PSO-1 can be zeroed and has correctly calibrated chevrons + stadiametric rangerfinder I'll be very happy indeed.