AJAX

HUD / UI Design Visual Concepts

r0tzbua   

Nice job on the map, if you're going for a stylized view I would try to go into a military direction though, topo maps kinda, right now it looks a bit Google Maps-ish I think, but maybe it's just me.

I actually always like the system pr had.

So when you would press esc you would get to the options and servers and you would press caps lock you would have the squad and map screen...

System proved itself over time, imo!

Arakk   

Some great ideas here- love it!

I'd watch out for using bars to indicate gaps between large sections of degrees, however; individual lines are still the best to indicate direction by degrees more accurately, and it shouldn't take a second glance at it to really get a good direction.

Rusty   

Nah - don't think it's essential. 

Here's an update - colours more vibrant and punchy. Playing around with the map rather than having satellite image as well...

I like the colours but I think sat map works so much better. It seems too catroony. Is there anyway to add some grit to the new map? Also the Sat maps can show roadblocks, defilade and most importantly weather the roof is accessible. I mean this to be constructive but I think the PR sat maps do justice to the tactics squads employ before and while playing the game. I wouldn't want just that map if I we're an SL running into an Urban area. 

Your work is really interesting, have any of the devs talked with you? PR was built off the community!

AJAX   

Appreciate the feedback gents. Yes agree - don't like the map as it is now... will look into reverting back to the satellite and research some alternatives. Also think the blue is a bit too dark/rich (saturated).

Rusty   

Man I would love to see some of the icons and colors make their way over to the forums. Too much grey! 

AJAX   

Latest as follows - reverted back to the satellite but reduced the blown out look of the previous. I'm guessing once the maps are completely done the devs would be able to render the terrain from a satellite standpoint so there's really little use in playing around with it anymore. Blues are less saturated as well.

SquadMap_ReColourSatellite_zpslfjzmrac.p

Rusty   

Love it. 

What about the keypad numbers in the top left of the map? I know its a small detail and personally I think if you don't know that layout of a standard keypad your probably pretty new to computer gaming, or full keyboards. 

AJAX   

The last one looks too much like BF3 or BF4

What on earth do you mean?  :unsure:

serverbrowser_bf3_zpsakl87bcn.jpg

Completely agree. Gotta get rid of the blues and return to the blacks.

Rusty   

Ajax what about the in game (caps lock) menu? In PR the menu is translucent. That can be really useful sometimes while you get your bearings. Would you implement something similar to that or keep it as a solid screen?

AJAX   

Ajax what about the in game (caps lock) menu? In PR the menu is translucent. That can be really useful sometimes while you get your bearings. Would you implement something similar to that or keep it as a solid screen?

Like this type of thing...

SquadMap_Overlay_zpsxvfl3e7x.png

Strepto   

I would remove the "settings" and "leave game" buttons on the top of the squadscreen. I believe the non gamplay stuff should be on a "Esc" menu, and not in the Caps lock/Enter menu. I would reserve the CapsLock("Squad")/Enter("Role") menus for gameplay elements, and the Esc Menu for settings, mic setup, disconnecting, friends list management, votes/admin tools (?) and so on.

The "CapsLock" menu (the squad screen) you have is quite nice, I have a few features that I would like though.

• A concept of fireteams inside the squad
  • Squad management stuff for the squadleader,
    as in kicking, locking, setting fireteams, promoting squad leaders and that stuff should in the squad screen somewhere - a dropdown might work.
  • Squad status indicators, make it easier to see if a squad on the team is downed or dead.
    ( My proposed solution for this is to use the squad number indicators "6/9"(Currently six people of a max of 9 in a squad" to display "3/6" (Currently three people alive in the squad of six).
  • Squadnumbers must start with numbers, to utilize the numpad radiosystem in the game today. The Icons for APC and Tank would not work in practice.
  • Display what assets a squad currently has manned. Smaller icon below the squad maybe. Might only be for heavier assets like tanks, air and APCs. 
  • Information about the tickets remaining for the team, and possibly the status of assets/area attack.

AJAX   

Here's the latest with a few things taken into account that Strepto posted above.

Fireteam management would use something like this https://jqueryui.com/sortable/ using the move icon. Ability to tag player, promote to squad leader and kick player are in the dropdown. Example of kick player once selected, option to confirm or cancel. To lock there's a simple lock button (which would be white if it wasn't locked). Greyed out (e.g. Schwarzenegger) is dead dead.

UI is an overlay on the gameplay screen with a blur filter to add more focus on the UI. Will keep looking into other stuff so I understand it a bit better and can develop it even further.

Squad_TeamSquadMap_UpdatedOverlay3_zpscb

Nice stuff.....I just notice on the map the lines inside the grid squares dividing the square into further 9 squares: are these extra grid lines necessary? They seem to my eyes muddy the map and make it hazy.

Nice stuff.....I just notice on the map the lines inside the grid squares dividing the square into further 9 squares: are these extra grid lines necessary? They seem to my eyes muddy the map and make it hazy.

They're used for the numpad system, where you give a coordinate like this: F4k2, meaning the second sub-square from the bottom left in the F4 grid. Considering the large map sizes, it's pretty important to proper communication and coordination.