ThePityLaugh

Does Squad run really bad with AMD

So I've sunk roughly 150 hours into this game only to find that the $2000 computer i have custom built using AMD Hardware gives me a VERY POOR 20-30 FPS am I the only one with this issue?? also when I shoot an SVD my game freeze for a good 2 seconds+. however most people I've asked who use Intel and Nvidia hardware get 90fps+ 

my specs are;

16GB ram

GPU: R9 290 4gb 

CPU: AMD FX 8350 8core 4.0ghz 

MSI Motherboard

2 grand could have got you a better cpu dude, that one was lacking back in 2012, no wonder it cant hang today.

Some updates on it's way with UE4.11 that will help out and when the new animaton system is introduced. 

Our DEVs are working tirelessly for a fix.

Stay tuned my man....

basically the AMD CPU's can't handle the quality of audio that UE4 is pushing out,
So from what I've read in the future we might see an option to turn the audio quality down to give boosts to AMD users.
but Thats just what I read a month ago or so, could of changed and I haven't read it.

10 minutes ago, SuicidalChair said:

basically the AMD CPU's can't handle the quality of audio that UE4 is pushing out.

Well that's absolutely not how it is at all..

6 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Well that's absolutely not how it is at all..

care to elaborate instead of just saying I'm wrong?

Also

17 minutes ago, SuicidalChair said:

but Thats just what I read a month ago or so, could of changed and I haven't read it.

35 minutes ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Some updates on it's way with UE4.11 that will help out and when the new animaton system is introduced. 

Our DEVs are working tirelessly for a fix.

Stay tuned my man....

It's good to hear that the issue is well known. I thought possible I was on my own 

I would highly recommend to build Intel based PC in the future (Or upgrade if possible). It will benefit you not only with UE4 but with a lot other popular modern games engines. AMD is out of competition compared to Intel CPU's when it comes to PC gaming imho.  

1 hour ago, ThePityLaugh said:

It's good to hear that the issue is well known. I thought possible I was on my own 

Intel's single threaded performance is better so the game audio is less of a problem for their users. V6 (UE4.11) should give better multi-threaded performance playing to AMD CPU strengths. Even so their seems to be an underlying problem with how audio is processed on an AMD cpu which can be resolved by lowering the quality unfortunately. The devs are doing their best with what's available to them to get a good experience for AMD user. See how things are after the next big update. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I suffer too from AMD. And next upgrade ill change the CPU.

Bottlenecking are the AMD CPUs due to their lack of handling multithreading processes. So in order to handle the sounds, AMD CPUs are going down on fps.

Its a known issues and should be reduced the upcoming (not the next) updates. First try is using newer game-engine. Next try devs take is reducing sounds and soundquality for amd cpus. There is no other why found yet, neither on AMD site nor on Engine-publisher side.

This is why you will need to use INTEL for gaming SQUAD properly. And this is why I am gonna be to leave AMD. "Doing in Rome as the Romans do"

1 hour ago, SuicidalChair said:

care to elaborate instead of just saying I'm wrong?

Well I don't see anything UE4 is doing to be super duper cool audio stuff + it's using XAudio2. What audio features did you see UE4 utilize that would make it super cool?

most AMD's do not have an issue but the 8350's are the main ones that are having issues. AMD and Epic are working on a fix. I have read that someone changing their firmware has helped.

I am a patient guy and AMD "Fan" for years. i'm waiting for next CPUs from AMD factory. When the ZEN-CPUs are crap to, i will follow you to Intel. :-/

Hard to say without knowing all your specs and also the game is being changed every month. Some of these changes are very bad and do much more things bad then good. This is all part of the development.

Firstly, are you running Windows 7? If so upgrade or get Windows 10 cause Windows 7 is never designed for Vishera Bulldozer and performance will always be bottle necked for AMD. Windows 10 only for AMD. 

Most developers spend very little time on optimization for multi core cpu. Most games don't use more then a few cores.

Now my fx 9590 runs squad at 4k with about 30-60 percent core usage that is fine and good performance already. and r9 280 tweaked epic maxed settings 80 percent or more usage. So you can imagine I am already very happy with 40 fps or better with this un optimized version dont see really a problem with my system at all :) why hate and be negative? :)

2 hours ago, banOkay said:

Well I don't see anything UE4 is doing to be super duper cool audio stuff + it's using XAudio2. What audio features did you see UE4 utilize that would make it super cool?

you don't see =!= there isn't

2 hours ago, Barbarossa said:

Bottlenecking are the AMD CPUs due to their lack of handling multithreading processes. So in order to handle the sounds, AMD CPUs are going down on fps.

AMD CPUs can handle multi-threaded just fine. In fact AMD banked on a future with more multi-threading at the expense of single threaded performance by producing CPUs with more cores. They couldn't compete with Intel core for core so they made chips with more cores to potentially gain even more performance. Unfortunately the computer industry as a whole is still not doing a good enough job to utilize the extra cores available and haven't really grasped multi-threading their code. It's been evident lately with the audio processing in Windows.

3 hours ago, Barbarossa said:

Actually the opposite AMD struggles with single threaded processes and performs much better with multi-threaded processes, problem with AMD processors in Squad is XAudio2 a low-level audio API successor to DirectSound that is being used in UE4. In order to handle the issue in the short term from the Squad developers is to introduce a lower quality sound option within the game and see if that solves or at least helps the situation, failing that waiting on Unreal staff getting to the bottom of it.

Most recent response iv seen from UE4 about it is

Tim Lincoln ♦♦ STAFF Apr 11 '16 at 11:21 PM Newest

Hi jparodrigues,

Thanks for the video demonstrating the issue. Aaron has been investigating this issue and believes the actual culprit has been identified. The current suspect is a 3rd party DLL that hooks into XAudio2, We will continue to work towards a resolution of the issue.

Tim

Quite frankly it's taken this long to realise this problem from an UE staff perspective because none of them initially had an AMD desktop machine with the correct software and specs to run the engine and replicate the issue. And if it hadn't of been for the Squad Devs and others harassing the life out of them they wouldn't have recognised there even was an issue. This is why it's important to not just sidestep the issue and buy intel because if Squad goes multi platform the issue may very well manifest itself again where both the Xbox One and PS4 Run exclusively AMD hardware (Never say Never). If we solve this issue now it's done and dusted and doesn't hold up development time and resources later down the line when all the game needs is spit and polish.

Edited by Axle84

I have a R9 380x, with an AMD FX 6350  and I tend to have fairly stable FPS , my current setup has not suffered from the VOIP issue a lot of other AMD users had in the past (I believe it was addressed).

Aside from FPS hiccups, which I believe are related to loading gun shot sounds of certain weapons, I've had a decent experience overall. It's very odd that a seemingly stronger CPU ends up with worse performance, but it seems that 8350s have the worst time with the sound processing. I've been nipping at this issue since the beginning of this year to try to crack it wide open but I believe the solution lays solely in Epic's hand as this is obviously an engine level issue.

As a side note I am able to run pretty much every other game on high settings with 60+ FPS, so I feel my current AMD setup is just fine.  I'm sure there are many other AMD users that are satisfied with their systems (please stop trying to sell Intel products, they do fine without the clambering in this thread).

21 hours ago, Murphy said:

I have a R9 380x, with an AMD FX 6350  and I tend to have fairly stable FPS , my current setup has not suffered from the VOIP issue a lot of other AMD users had in the past (I believe it was addressed).

Aside from FPS hiccups, which I believe are related to loading gun shot sounds of certain weapons, I've had a decent experience overall. It's very odd that a seemingly stronger CPU ends up with worse performance, but it seems that 8350s have the worst time with the sound processing. I've been nipping at this issue since the beginning of this year to try to crack it wide open but I believe the solution lays solely in Epic's hand as this is obviously an engine level issue.

As a side note I am able to run pretty much every other game on high settings with 60+ FPS, so I feel my current AMD setup is just fine.  I'm sure there are many other AMD users that are satisfied with their systems (please stop trying to sell Intel products, they do fine without the clambering in this thread).

That 380x won't bottleneck an FX-6350 at all. But for guys like me with cf 380's... Kind of shitty when I am being screwed over by poor programming that simply caters to the common denominator rather than actually taking advantage of current generation multi-core hardware. AMD would have won the previous generation of CPU's had the industry been willing to improve their code. Intel users also would have seen an improvement in performance and gamers everywhere would rejoice. But no, alas nobody gives a shit about us "lowly amd peasants" as I have heard the intel fan club so poetically put it. It's a real piss off.

most users by now have 4 cores for gaming. and most games only use 2. Maybe good structured programming improves problems in year 2300?

On 4/23/2016 at 7:27 AM, Devon said:

2 grand could have got you a better cpu dude, that one was lacking back in 2012, no wonder it cant hang today.

Considering the FX-8350 launched in October of 2012 and the R9 290 did not release until October of 2013 do you care to rephrase your bullshit statement?

if it was launched in 2012 and I said it was lacking in 2012, care to re read my bullshit statement one more time and use a little critical thinking before you call me out, you 3rd world fuck.