Yomper

Any good war/combat films worth watching

We Were Soldiers - a film about the US first major engagement in Vietnam - excellent!

Another, very recent one is "Hyena Road" (out in 2015) - a story of Canadians in Afghanistan.

Nice séries base in the mi5 section 20 unit : strike back

I agree!

Strike Back (especially season 2 - 5) its definitely the best depiction of military tactics and procedures I have seen so far.

The Characters good and the show is funny at times.

But the story is normaly very flat.

But tactics wise ist top notch!

Realy advise you to watch it!

It's been a few years since I watched Band of Brothers. Definitely one of the best in the WW2 category. I think I'll dig out my DVDS and start it up again.

I heard 13 hours was really good. Looking forward to seeing that for sure.

And I also enjoyed Strike Back. I've seen them all including the British season. Sucks that its over!

It's been a few years since I watched Band of Brothers. Definitely one of the best in the WW2 category. I think I'll dig out my DVDS and start it up again.

I heard 13 hours was really good. Looking forward to seeing that for sure.

And I also enjoyed Strike Back. I've seen them all including the British season. Sucks that its over!

Yep its an epic series....I too have not seen it in years...need to go rent it or buy it...:)

platoon

we were soldiers

13 hours

act of valor

lone survivor

restrepo

korengal (part 2 to restrepo)

thin red line

armadillo

patrol base jaker

american sniper

hyena road

9th company

kajaki (kilo two bravo)

saving private ryan

vietnam in HD

WW2 in HD

DDay in HD

hamburger hill

born on the fourth of july

full metal jacket

band of brothers

the pacific 

just naming the ones i owe....probably missed some but this will get you pointed in the right direction

My favourites:

Band of brothers

Thin red line

We were soliders

Saving private ryan

Fury

Full methal Jacket

Platoon

Apocalypse now

Letters from Iwo jima

Hurt locker

•  Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter) - High Budget german production, Band Of Brothers style just from the german view of things

•  Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (Korean War movie, very intense, very tragic)

•  Over There - is about the 2003 iraq war, only has one season unfortunately, some people believe that the american population wasn't ready at the time to handle war films about this conflict, that's why it failed on TV. It's an extremely good TV-series.

You might want to check out Tell Spring to not Come Here... Camera Crew follows Afghan Army through their encounters with the Taliban insurgent forces. 

There's also this one from Venezuela, it's pretty good. Called El Paramo or The Squad  (Psychological/Suspense/Thriller) Then, there's The Objective... It's more of a scifi/horror type film....  still military lol 

There's also the British Version of the Hurt Locker... I thought was pretty good. Can't remember the name right now, but that's the slogan on the movie, the british hurt locker. 

• Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter) - High Budget german production, Band Of Brothers style just from the german view of things

Cheers, really been wanting to see something like this. Loved letters from Iwo Jima. Seeing WW2 from any side other than the over represented Americans is really great, because there is so little of it. Any more then please tell me about it :p

Some movies I like:

• Saving Private Ryan
  • Black Hawk Down
  • Hurt Locker
  • Act of Valor
  • We Were Soldiers
  • Platoon
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Enemy at the Gates
  • Jarhead
  • Fury
  • Lone Survivor
  • Thin Red Line

And probably the best is Band of Brothers, even though it is a series. Generation Kill is great as well

"Inside Combat Rescue" National Geographic series

Found a National Geographic live documentary on YouTube (8 episodes, roughly 44 min each I think) about the US Airforce's Pararescuemen and is extremely interesting and gives some good insight into their important work.

Episode 1 "Visions of War"-

Saw this on animal planet. Amazing documentary about k9's and the love between a soldier and his dog

It's just amazing watching these dogs, they'll risk their lives trying to save their owner without a split second hesitation

There a documentary I've had my eye on for a while, won a few awards but hasn't been released publicly yet.

Edited by Dubs

On June 3, 2015 at 0:49 PM, alvin.v11b said:

Based off true stories but are great movies.

Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, American Sniper, Lone Survivor.

Military documentaries to check out.

Restrepo/ Korengal; Same setting but different story.

The Hornets Nest

Hornets nest-- catch me crying at the end of you look close enough 

Edited by s0tic