Yomper

Any good war/combat films worth watching

Yomper   

I mean outside of the usual hollywood films that everyone's probably seen.

Saw a film called 'Act of Valor' and was surprised at how good it was. Based on actual events, it uses real Navy SEALs, and some combat scenes used live rounds.

[media ]

[ media]

It gets a lot hate because the real Navy SEALs guys aren't the best actors (why would they be) and it's a bit of a propaganda film, but it's well shot, the 'real' actors are very good, and it has decent story.

Can anyone suggest a good war film that people might not have seen or be aware of.

Dani   

Damn.. that movie is actualy awesome. Thank's, will be my next movie to watch :)
(sorry not to suggest, i don't have a better one after i saw this)

One great War movie ( or maybe its a TV show im not sure ) is Unsere Mutter, unsere Vater ( Generation War) . It shows the war from the side of the Germans on the Eastern Front. 

Melbo   

I could only watch 10 minutes of Act of Valor. The acting totally ruined it for me.

Not a film but I'm re watching Generation Kill. Great TV series.

unfrail   

Even though it wasnt the worst thing I've seen all the veterans I've met, even a former Green Beret, don't speak highly of Act of Valor. When I did get a chance to converse with a certain former SF vet, I asked him what was the best war movie and he recommended "We Were Soldiers" as one of the more accurate portrayals. Good film, but I wont pretend to know whether or not he is correct.

dillyboy   

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

my personal favorite, anyone?

http://www.listal.com/movie/dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-th

Armadillo, Generation Kill, Restrepo and Korengal.

Restrepo yes I remember the start.

Generation Kill
Band of Brothers
>these two are the best out there

The Pacific
Blackhawk Down

YES! Restrepo and GK! a must watch for military + film lovers

Generation Kill is my favorite series! though it's a mini-series

Yomper   

One great War movie ( or maybe its a TV show im not sure ) is Unsere Mutter, unsere Vater ( Generation War) . It shows the war from the side of the Germans on the Eastern Front. 

It's on Netflix and I was thinking about watching that. I'll check it out.

Ambush from 1999 were decent IIRC seems to have international version also.

I don't know if "The unknown soldier" (old or new version) does have any international or english version, but it is really slow phased and over acted in many parts (especially the old 1955 version) for taste of modern audience.

Sam Peckingpahs Cross of Iron is nice.

Last Survivor is nice.

The bear island is decent. Where Eagles Dare were decent.

It all depends your definition of "good".

Yomper   

I could only watch 10 minutes of Act of Valor. The acting totally ruined it for me.

Not a film but I'm re watching Generation Kill. Great TV series.

The start is tough to get through, but I'd run out of Jason Statham movies to watch so I stuck with it. Once the action kicked in I was glad that I'd persevered. The mix of real military personnel, procedure, POV shots and live rounds is something I'd never seen done before.

dillyboy   

9th company were decent what I remeber.

9th Company was nice, the intro was a bit slow because they want to achieve the Full Metal Jacket style

but the ending is nice anyway

Yomper   

Ambush from 1999 were decent IIRC seems to have international version also.

I don't know if "The unknown soldier" (old or new version) does have any international or english version, but it is really slow phased and over acted in many parts (especially the old 1955 version) for taste of modern audience.

Sam Peckingpahs Cross of Iron is nice.

Last Survivor is nice.

The bear island is decent. Where Eagles Dare were decent.

It all depends your definition of "good".

Should have been clear on what I meant by 'good'. Good representation of war combat, kind of film that puts you in the action (or close to it), rather than just a film about war. Then again I do love a war film, so any recommendation is good.

Cross of iron is brutal, but good. 

Yomper   

Even though it wasnt the worst thing I've seen all the veterans I've met, even a former Green Beret, don't speak highly of Act of Valor. When I did get a chance to converse with a certain former SF vet, I asked him what was the best war movie and he recommended "We Were Soldiers" as one of the more accurate portrayals. Good film, but I wont pretend to know whether or not he is correct.

I can see why he said "We were soldiers"; it does concentrate more on the soldier's experience of war, and the brotherhood that exists, rather than just the combat.

Yomper   

Will check out Zvezda (found it on YouTube with subtitles), 9th company, and Ambush, I've not heard of those before.

Devon   

Will check out Zvezda (found it on YouTube with subtitles), 9th company, and Ambush, I've not heard of those before.

Link it then, you animal.