Dani

New magazine reload animation

I know that this suggestion is not important yet. 
But for now i just wanna hear what you think about this idea from the member, and maybe from the dev.

So, i was thinking that we must make a different type of reloading system.
Like for example, you have M4 in 5 different reloading animations. 
That 5 different reloading animation is controled by the "random" code.
So, anytime you press 'R' , you will have a different reloading animation from the previous.
And of course, the 5 different reloading animations is must be on the same 'period time' (i mean, like, how long the reloading time take, iam not native english)

The reason i make this suggestion, is to make impression to this game itself, and this will not make the game become difficult to play.
I don't see one (yet) the other FPS game have this 'Different reloading animation' thing.
So, maybe it's a chance for Squad to make this game is more intresting. B) 
As for now, i just want to know what you guys think, since the Dev now is busy to make the Base of the Game wich is very important.

Thank you,

since the Dev now is busy to make the Base of the Game wich is very important.

You just gave the reason why it most likely won't happen in the near future.

Would it really make sense if you reload your weapon in five different ways? what would it really prove?

For what purpose? a reload is a reload, no need to do it 5 different ways.

While I understand that a reload is a reload and that every new animation is a plus amount of work, I think this doesn't really count as a point against it.

I think it's not necessary to have it for gameplay reasons, and that gameplay is Prio 1, I think that's clear to everyone, but higher visual fidelity is never a downside once it doesn't impact the development, if this would be a super valid point, we could argue that anything more than a super basic Quake 1 style graphic doesn't have any purpose. People tend to never do two things completely the same, one reload animation does this. It's always exactly the same, down to the last keyframe.

I think it's a neat idea, it pushes immersion, makes users realize that there went some thoughts in and gives every reload a bit of immersion that helps to make the game fun.

Not saying it isn't fun without, just saying that not every extra bit of visual fidelity is unnecessary, it isn't high priority but it's not automatically "useless" by any means.

(That all said, I'm biased anyways because I work as a visual guy)

I don't see one (yet) the other FPS game have this 'Different reloading animation' thing.

Killing Floor 2 does this to an extent. When you go to reload with a full mag on the AK12 for example, there are different animations, opening the chamber, inspecting the mag... It's cool but not a great place for a kickstarted game to spend its budget.

Thanks for your suggestion Dani :)

I think this would go under the "nice to have" column. Because with each animation you gotta take into consideration different sound timings, even the length of the animation may differ.

I think this would go under the "nice to have" column. Because with each animation you gotta take into consideration different sound timings, even the length of the animation may differ.

Your suggestion Dani, is the chopper and Chuc is the rebels.

Honestly, I can see where OP is coming from. I've always wanted a system in tactical games where if you're under suppression (or even wounded), you struggle to reload and take longer in doing so. By no means is this practical considering how early on development is, but it's a really cool thought nonetheless. 

Thanks for your suggestion Dani :)

Thank's Chuc for your answer. Appreciate it. :)

Would it really make sense if you reload your weapon in five different ways? what would it really prove?

"Cosmetic variety is bad, and anyone who wants to make things more interesting is bad for suggesting it."

That's you.

The guy just wants to see varying animations for actions, that'd be neato. An example being something like the shotgun in Doom3 had two animations for chambering more shells. It affects absolutely nothing other than changing up what you see.

I think Dani's idea would work very well for sprinting animations, though. :) No gameplay consequences, but it would improve the realism and believability of the game.

Because nobody runs in exactly the same way for 2 minutes straight--that's 2004 technology.

Along with not helping game play or graphical design at all, its not realistic. Each soldier has their way of reloading, weather its identical to the person next to him's way or its completely different it doesn't matter, they will stick to it and remember it. Its like which hand you have on top when you cross your arms, its always the same. (Yes, I just referenced the worst movie).

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 

I was actually gonna post a topic about it then found that it has already been requested.

I agree with the author. Squad has very realistic reload animations, I like them. How much would it cost to create at least 2 different animations for each weapon in terms of developement ?

I doesn't have to be 2 drastic different animations, but simply slightly different. I think it would make the game look more immersive and feel even more natural. 

In real life, even if you have you specific way to reload, it's never exactly the same way each time. 

Finally, I think it's important for a FPS, because this is the only thing you see of yourself (exception the hand and body sometimes). That'd really be a nice to have :)

Honestly, it WOULD make some sense to have different reloads for different stances and during actions. Walking forward would have a different reload than walking backwards. Prone would have a different reload than standing. Unfortunately that would be a huge burden on animators.

The variety in random reloads would be pretty cool, but AFAIK soldiers are trained to reload one way, to reinforce muscle memory and make reloading under fire easier.

However, different reloads for different stances does make sense. I agree with GrassEh, assuming there is one reload for prone, and one for standing/crouched (upright), then there only needs to be 2 similar reloads. The only difference in the two would be the part of the animation in which the soldier reaches to his vest and pulls out a magazine, the rest of the reload could literally be copied and pasted from the pre-existing one.

If there was a reload for sprinting (which I think there should be, it is definitely possible to reload a rifle while running full tilt), then again it would simply be mostly the same animation, with some camera sway and a minor changes to the animation itself.

Of course, as the OP stated, this would be purely a cool feature to be added far in the future.

Along with not helping game play or graphical design at all, its not realistic. Each soldier has their way of reloading, weather its identical to the person next to him's way or its completely different it doesn't matter, they will stick to it and remember it. Its like which hand you have on top when you cross your arms, its always the same. (Yes, I just referenced the worst movie).

I just tried crossing my arms a few times to see if that is true... it is.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't reload my AR the EXACT SAME WAY EVERY TIME

America's Army: Proving Grounds has this. And I agree it's a nice touch.

BF Hardline had different reload animations:

Though maybe you were thinking a bit more... realistic?  :D

Can't they use the extra Kicktarster funds for this? :P

I hope they won't for this :D

I don't know about you guys, but I don't reload my AR the EXACT SAME WAY EVERY TIME

You ain't in a video game world either.