Odd_fella

Flippin' FOBS on Flags!!!

I'm sure there have been many occasions where FOBs on flags have worked when the opposing team has 5 or 6 squad leaders who speak different languages and a few unassigned members playing around as well. As karm said, the lack of experience and coordination on the other side had helped buy time to build that FOB. I've been in games where FOBs on flags worked because there's no coordinated attack. 

Another thing to look at is the K/D ratio of the superfob defenders. Usually it's the squad who patrols the perimeter of the flag that gets the most kills and stops the attackers as the defenders spend more time digging than shooting. The defenders aren't really aware of what's going on outside, therefore, they feel there's not much contact out there yet when really, other squads have been taking the fight to the enemy and prevented them from approaching the flag. The best form of defence is attack. 

Then at the end of the game, the superfob defenders take all the credit. But that's natural as many players don't have a heightened awareness of the situation around them.

Im sure superfobs will become very useful once logistics are out. 

Paine   
On 5/3/2016 at 8:37 AM, Fresz said:

I personally like when enemy is building FOB on flag because it means that there is no other FOB within 400m each side from flag. It also makes my job as SL so much easier as I don't have to drag my squad around some shit holes looking for enemy FOB. ALSO! possibility of getting flanked by enemy is almost ZERO. 

I made a little drawing for those who still think FOB on flag is a good idea.

oZtoJX4.png

This picture sums up everything nicely for everyone that tldr these FOB threads.

4 minutes ago, Paine said:

This picture sums up everything nicely for everyone that tldr these FOB threads.

But that picture on the right doesn't show the rest of the fob team's squads back capping the attacking team while that fob squad do their best to hold out. Biased pictures only prove what you want them to prove just like statistics can be skewed to prove a non fact.

The picture on the left also assumes attacking squads realise where the defending teams fobs are. Also if they were to get both fobs taken that's 2x the ticket loss compared to 1 fob on the cp.

Ultimately you have to play each game as it comes and adapt your tactics to try to keep the oposing team on the back foot. In pub games the quality of yours and the oposing team have a big influence on any tactics you can employ including putting fobs on cp.

Fresz   
9 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

But that picture on the right doesn't show the rest of the fob team's squads back capping the attacking team while that fob squad do their best to hold out. Biased pictures only prove what you want them to prove just like statistics can be skewed to prove a non fact.

The picture on the left also assumes attacking squads realise where the defending teams fobs are. Also if they were to get both fobs taken that's 2x the ticket loss compared to 1 fob on the cp.

Ultimately you have to play each game as it comes and adapt your tactics to try to keep the oposing team on the back foot. In pub games the quality of yours and the oposing team have a big influence on any tactics you can employ including putting fobs on cp.

As I said before... Do build these FOBs on flags, as long as these are not in my team I will be very happy. It makes SL job really easy. 

this is old discussion but i feel like this blanket statement is very one sided. im posting just so those who are interested in this topic can see another side to on point fob's.

The only reason on point FOB's usually get over run, is Team usually does not take advantage of the 50m build range. this range is extremely far, and if fortification's are placed correctly these will be the most effective places to throw down FOB.

Keep in mind just because a poorly reinforced fob on an objective gets over run or camped, doesn't mean its a bad place to put one.

Forward_Operating_Base_Logar,_Afghanista

as yall can see this FOB has multiple buildings surrounded by a wall.

its not one building completely surrounded by sand bags with one entrance, which is the setup that i think these and most complaints are about.  my main goal is to just get some more information out there and maybe people will learn how to build fortifications better. 

First of all, posting pictures of real-life FOBs is completely irrelevant as they are not comparable to in-game FOBs. Secondly, the build radius is 120~ish m, not 50m. Thirdly, fortifications are useless. Fourthly, the reason why most FOBs on flags are bad is because you're forced to defend on your spawn, which means your team has no maneuverability.

I forgot about this.

The nature of FOBs on flags has changed now as the game progresses. In earlier versions you could get away with putting a FOB way out and only use it as a last resort when the rally was gone. Now people are finding enemy FOBs so much easier and with the introduction of HMGs and vehicles, it doesn't matter if the enemy knows where your FOB is. Doesn't even matter if the enemy camp your FOB because a couple of people moaned about spawn camping which lead to this Call of Duty spawn protection thing. 

One thing I will stand by though is that if you're the superfobbers, don't take credit for defending the flag. Usually it's the defending squad outside the flag who's attacking the attackers, and tearing down their rallies and FOBs, that's doing the defending whilst the superfobbers slow down the enemy from getting inside the cap. I don't think fortifications are useless if they're built on chokepoints which your team doesn't need to use but the enemy needs to get through. 

But if you're gonna put a FOB on the flag, keep your rally's or a FOB is outside of the flag in case you get overwhelmed. 

Edited by Odd_fella

7 hours ago, Odd_fella said:

I forgot about this.

The nature of FOBs on flags has changed now as the game progresses. In earlier versions you could get away with putting a FOB way out and only use it as a last resort when the rally was gone. Now people are finding enemy FOBs so much easier and with the introduction of HMGs and vehicles, it doesn't matter if the enemy knows where your FOB is. Doesn't even matter if the enemy camp your FOB because a couple of people moaned about spawn camping which lead to this Call of Duty spawn protection thing. 

One thing I will stand by though is that if you're the superfobbers, don't take credit for defending the flag. Usually it's the defending squad outside the flag who's attacking the attackers, and tearing down their rallies and FOBs, that's doing the defending whilst the superfobbers slow down the enemy from getting inside the cap. I don't think fortifications are useless if they're built on chokepoints which your team doesn't need to use but the enemy needs to get through. 

But if you're gonna put a FOB on the flag, keep your rally's or a FOB is outside of the flag in case you get overwhelmed. 

Well said. 

LugNut   

Until the time to dig something down is increased exponentially over the time to dig something up, building a superfob doesn't pay. All you need is a couple of guys with smoke and shovels to get inside. You are better off dropping a few sandbags to slow them down and putting up ladders and creating firing positions around the compound. Creating lanes of fire and a layered defense is more effective than everyone sitting in one compound shooting out. 

28 minutes ago, LugNut said:

Until the time to dig something down is increased exponentially over the time to dig something up, building a superfob doesn't pay. All you need is a couple of guys with smoke and shovels to get inside. You are better off dropping a few sandbags to slow them down and putting up ladders and creating firing positions around the compound. Creating lanes of fire and a layered defense is more effective than everyone sitting in one compound shooting out. 

I always say to build OP's that mutually protect each other when building a FOB. It's much much harder to knock off a perimeter defense than it is to knock out everyone in one single building or compound. It also prevents the FOB from being overrun as easily. 

Build time should be reduced, unbuild time should be extended, and resource cost should be the main limiting factor in any kind of construction.

Debuilt time for the team which hasnt set up the defenses should be removed and explosives should be introduced. 

We need the Pioneer class. So much more Fun to actually breach defenses then to hust dedig them. 

1 hour ago, runningDuck said:

Debuilt time for the team which hasnt set up the defenses should be removed and explosives should be introduced. 

We need the Pioneer class. So much more Fun to actually breach defenses then to hust dedig them. 

I like that idea a lot. That new IED explosion animation should be applied to FOB destruction via explosives planted, it'd be nice to see FOBs go down in a more violent way. 

2 hours ago, runningDuck said:

It'd be a little silly if the enemy can't dismantle a coil of barb wire without heavy explosives. Just make the unbuild time appropriate to the emplacement.

1 hour ago, RevolT said:

I wonder how a new HAB meta would affect the strategy of placing FOBs on CPs

Most FOB placement is based on obscurity(Untrafficed areas) and screening(Placing FOBs in known locations, but the enemy can't get to it because your forces are blocking the approach or diverting manpower by attacking objectives). You'll probably see less FOBs dropped behind enemy lines, more visible HABs in urban environments(As you can't put it inside a building), but I think the general deployment will stay the same.

sylca024   

I didn't read through all the pages here but just my two cents on the matter.

Like everyone is saying good and bad it just depends on the team itself, unless the one squad who places the fob on a point is defending it with every breath. 

Lately I've seen squads do some random stuff, placing a fob on point but in los of hills and higher elevation around said fob. Someone did mention the 50m building zone which isn't being used at its fullest capacity.

Then again like i mentioned with the team, it's hard to depend on entire team but if squad leaders aren't communicating  more likely the point, the fob, the defending squads just get wiped. 

It really is a hit or miss when joining a server you don't normally play on, not sure if newer people are flowing in or what.

suds   

how do you get all the enemies to run from one direction in a straight line like that?

lucky for you there was noone flanking and digging up the fobs, im sure nobody would do that tho, it would be unfair to take 2 fobs and a flag away from such a confident team :P

adapt to the situation, take gambles, make a big play but have a fall back option... and please stop putting fobs in the same places every round.... 

Ti0mat   
On 4/18/2016 at 9:03 AM, Helofly said:

In my experience a built up FOB on a flag gets over run sooner or later. Especially if the enemy team uses enough grenades , you loose a tonne of tickets without beeing able to really do something about it.

It depends on a lot of things. The terrain is one of them. Place a FOB in East Central Village and you're laughing. Don't place one there, and due to the flat open fields surrounding the small town, you're screwed. In general, is it a good idea? No. But that doesn't mean it cannot work.

It'll be interesting to see how much the HABs change things. I mean no longer will we be able to hide the FOB in a bush, or in some other spot to conceal it.