Odd_fella

Flippin' FOBS on Flags!!!

125 posts in this topic
11 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

I'll just leave this here.

you should call this video "how NOT to put a fob on a flag"

Edited by gunbattle

Early on I used to say the same thing, don't dare build a fob on the point and for the most part I think that's correct, however there are situations where it's useful. ie. last cap point on AAS. I would suggest somewhere you can build a good defence however, not out in the open.

You better have a strong team capable of defending it though otherwise it'll be a clusterfuck.

Generally I agree. Although there are certain flags that you can build FOBs on in certain situations, generally the ones with the bigger compounds. 

Also you need a good Squad Leader who knows how to place Hesco walls properly, it's very easy to fuck up and accidentally give the enemy a way to climb over.

Edited by Coletrain

Please, keep building FOBs on flags and making walled in compounds. Once mortars are introduced I will kindly remind you why it is a terrible fucking idea with a salvo of ariburst and HE. 

Because I care that much xD

16 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

Please, keep building FOBs on flags and making walled in compounds. Once mortars are introduced I will kindly remind you why it is a terrible fucking idea with a salvo of ariburst and HE. 

Because I care that much xD

You assume too much, mortars won't be making it in any time soon and by the time they are vehicles will have completely altered the meta.

1 minute ago, NotBrad said:

You assume too much, mortars won't be making it in any time soon and by the time they are vehicles will have completely altered the meta.

Do I? Mortars in PR are used to great effect against static targets, also to break up assaults and to ravage defensive positions.PR also has a full gamut of vehicles yet mortars are extremely deadly. Just what am I assuming?

I think in fact you sir are the one assuming too much by thinking that vehicles are going to change the tactics of those playing the game. Bad habits are bad habits regardless of the tools. I'm trying to reduce the proliferation of bad habits. 

Besides, I can have a squad work to similar effect against a FOB by standing off and pummeling it with UBGL and RPG fire.

6 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

Do I? Mortars in PR are used to great effect against static targets, also to break up assaults and to ravage defensive positions.PR also has a full gamut of vehicles yet mortars are extremely deadly. Just what am I assuming?

I think in fact you sir are the one assuming too much by thinking that vehicles are going to change the tactics of those playing the game. Bad habits are bad habits regardless of the tools. I'm trying to reduce the proliferation of bad habits. 

Besides, I can have a squad work to similar effect against a FOB by standing off and pummeling it with UBGL and RPG fire.

You assume that tactics will remain the same once vehicles are introduced, which is assuming too much. Especially since the bulk of the community is playing PR while waiting for vehicles to release. You'll see soon enough, a significant increase in competent players will drastically alter the meta, and there are also many who haven't played at all who are going to buy when vehicles show up. These players will have no "bad habits" and will create a new meta, but in all fairness, the shelter of a rock does seem quite appealing at times, but I still chose not to build my house and live under one. I like rocks but not that much... lol if you are an ass hole and you know it clap you hands *clap* *clap*

7 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

You assume that tactics will remain the same once vehicles are introduced, which is assuming too much. Especially since the bulk of the community is playing PR while waiting for vehicles to release. You'll see soon enough, a significant increase in competent players will drastically alter the meta, and there are also many who haven't played at all who are going to buy when vehicles show up. These players will have no "bad habits" and will create a new meta, but in all fairness, the shelter of a rock does seem quite appealing at times, but I still chose not to build my house and live under one. I like rocks but not that much... lol if you are an ass hole and you know it clap you hands *clap* *clap*

What in the hell does all of that have to do with FOBs on flags and the effect mortars have on static targets? If I am reading this right then you are in favor of FOBs on flags, correct? OK, I disagree and will pound your FOB to dust.

Mortars are not placed to bombard FOBs. There are a multitude of targets and fire missions to commence. In the 40-50 hours of running mortar teams in PR we took an enemy FOB under direct bombardment less than 10 times. Most time you are asked to support an assault or defence. Players in PR also understand the value of FOBs and do their best to hide them from observation. A spotted FOB is a destroyed FOB.

18 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

snip

Wut? I don't even know.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by NotBrad
For whatever reason my phone kept removing the image from the post, so I fixed it on my comp

Maybe if people PTFO ... FOB's on flags wouldn't be a bad thing.  

all this reasoning leads to question the purpose of deployed objects, which i love as stated previously in this thread. If mortars are effective against a fob in an urban location (typical flag point) then that fortified position off the flag is even more likely to be a death trap.

it is all about the way it is done. no location is safe, add to that the fact that the "safest" location is also the first place a fob hunter will look, a lone wolf taking out a fob is a little embarrassing...

2 other things

1. A mortar nest is also an asset which will be targeted. will the fob on the flag get taken out before the mortar? the answer to this will always vary based on the many variables which make this game interesting, the same as fob placement. What of ammo limits, reload and resupply times in mortar teams? 
  2. Construction potential due to logistics supply will also alter this, perhaps there is no fob on the flag but a supply crate can be used to construct defences. This appears to be the best of all.

What if the FOB that is being mortared has mortars to fire at the mortars?

What then?

all depends on man-bit size at this point.

I think I've figured it out....

People that don't agree with FOBs on flags tend to argue that if you lose the capture point and the FOB you lose like 20 tickets.

People that don't mind FOBs on flags probably don't lose the point/FOB very often if at all.

So the problem isn't related to the FOB or its proximity to flags, but how much your team suck bumhair.

There is no right and wrong tactic, just good and bad teams.

3 hours ago, Montoya said:

I think that's the best way to put it. The good and bad can be applied to those attacking and defending which really decides the outcome of any fob on a cp scenario.

People are experimenting to see what works as for many the style of game is new. You can't knock them for that. It's just a game, have fun. If your taking it more seriously than that you need to join a clan and play in clan matches as public games are going to be very varied in how your side will play on the day. 

22 hours ago, Montoya said:

I think I've figured it out....

People that don't agree with FOBs on flags tend to argue that if you lose the capture point and the FOB you lose like 20 tickets.

People that don't mind FOBs on flags probably don't lose the point/FOB very often if at all.

So the problem isn't related to the FOB or its proximity to flags, but how much your team suck bumhair.

That's exactly what the problem is. As the population of this game declines, you'll find yourself more and more facing clans and players who know each other from Squad and/or PR. 

One side is full of randoms who's re new or play every now and then, the other side is mostly clans and experienced players. Random squad leaders copy the tactic of placing a FOB on the flag, which they've seen another SL do in another game, the organised opponents put extra effort into their attack once they find a fob is on the flag. 

People that put a FOB on the flag and have lost it before, still put FOBs on flags because it's the only way they know how to defend an objective. Rather than securing the terrain outside the objective, they feel it's better to fight from inside the cap zone. Just because they keep doing the same tactic doesn't mean that it's working, it just means that it's what they're most comfortable with. 

Ive never seen a team hold out for too long with a FOB on the flag, unless the flag doesn't get attacked, gets light contact or you backcap before the full assault is on. As there's soo much room to move around outside and you don't have to worry about the enemy flanking you, it's only a matter of time before it goes down. 

This is the thing mate.

As SLs we have RPs that we can drop to allow our squad to spawn, however if we have enemy within 50m it vanishes. If two out of three SLs lose their RP and are killed it falls on the surviving SL to drop a FOB anywhere in order to get the team back where they are needed.

The last thing I would expect to hear is "I can't because I'm near a flag". It's just not a good reason.

Just drop it and when we have respawned we will remove it.

Then you have a different scenario, sometimes you just need to be able to anchor yourself on the map. For example when you have capped the whole map and you are holding the last CP on AAS. Drop a FOB, keep a perimeter and if they get close enough to affect the spawn timer consider digging it up and moving it maybe 50m.

I guarantee they will be bleeding more tickets faster, justifying any potential loss of the FOB.

Edit: In fact, there is something far more worse that people placing FOBS on flags. Something far more irritating

People that place a FOB near a capture point (on a hill nearby overlooking etc) but then sit there defending it.

- They aren't attacking a CP

- They aren't defending a CP

- You can't spawn on the FOB and get back to the CP easily

- The enemy can clearly see where you are spawning from

These guys are the actual worst. They think they have a squad of super sharp shooters and that they are actually helping. And then on comms you get " We need help defending this irrelevant FOB because the enemy are attacking it, don't worry about winning/losing the game just come and help me on this FOB"

It's worse when they lose it and say "At least we didn't build it on the flag :smug:" As the whole teams runs back from main base.

This should be in a thread of it's own really. 

Edited by Montoya

Ive already agreed that temporary FOBs are a good idea to teleport the dead, several posts ago. This may not be possible when logistics comes out as people have complained about the teleporting. 

Your scenario of securing the perimeter fits well for your clan vs pubs who have never played with each other before. FOBs on flags don't work in your scenario if you come up against a more experienced clan who have been playing for longer. 

Actually there's a FOB placement that's worse than that, FOBs placed in the enemy's path on a flank. We can talk FOB placements all day but I opened this thread because that day, on Chora, we lost a FOB at Packers Estate and then after that another SL puts one on Market Hub... which we lost. When we took back Packers, we get another FOB down, losing all that hard work for nothing. This time, I found an enemy FOB to the North East but we were so scared of losing Packers again that we didn't attack the enemy FOB. 

I had to rage quit. I honestly don't mind poor decision making, I really don't. We all started off new at some point and I still make bad judgements, my issue was that they didn't learn the first and second time round and I continue to see it happen, despite it never working. 

Yea I may be a big nerd taking this game seriously and I need to get laid every once in a while but I wanna win and I don't want SLs who haven't played the game for very long to take the Squad Leader role. 

5 minutes ago, Odd_fella said:

FOBs on flags don't work in your scenario if you come up against a more experienced clan who have been playing for longer. 

We have and they do.

To me it sounds like you were playing with a sucky team there, which I can understand the frustration. Perhaps you should consider joining a clan/community yourself to try to stop that kind of nonsense.

We have a recruitment thread in the clans section (other clans are available)

Its a shame you guys don't know but its an awesome thing to do if you have the proper people to do it. Its not bad, matter a fact when logistics, emplacements and vehicles come out, I am convinced its going to be a thing. Again, you can't do this stuff with public players in your squad, because they are like zombies. You will need your clan friends who knows how to defend. Most of FOBs on the flags fail because they are defended by random public zombies, who use no tactics what so ever, they all bunch up inside one compound where the radio is and die like fish in the barrel. Most public zombies don't even use a GL or RPG so how can you expect from them to defend an FOB on the flag? You can't.

Again, ofcourse some flags are really bad for FOBs, for example Logar District Center is really, really bad. Because there is no killzone around. And some flags are really good for it, but having good people, and you can do everything.

Edited by Rainmaker

On 4/20/2016 at 7:10 AM, Montoya said:

What if the FOB that is being mortared has mortars to fire at the mortars?

What then?

Mortarception. And we dig deeper.