Odd_fella

Flippin' FOBS on Flags!!!

125 posts in this topic

yes and no, a defensive fob on the point is tarded however if a lone squad drops one on the opposing teams point its a huge advantage to get guys into the point asap.

so the moral is never place a defense fob on the point and depending on the map placing one on the cap is a winning tactic Kohat is one that sticks out, one squad right up the center and drop fobs on the points and you can't lose, b/c by the time you lose the fob on the current objective the team should have already moved on to the next objective and take it before the other one is lost.

I agree that temp fobs work for teleporting squads to the backcapped objective but if I read the rest of what you wrote correctly, then get ready for a shitstorm. 

If if I read what you said correctly, did you say that you don't care if you lose a FOB I.e 20 tickets so long as the flag is uncappable? I'm too polite to go any further. 

ive been on pletny of fobs built right on the flag and have held out for a LONG time, causing much death and frustration to the other team. although not always, a fob directly on the flag can be a great strategic decision. 

Has pros and cons, sometimes its needed other times it can be absolutely brutal. Weigh up the options, make a call and know when to dig that shit up.

In my experience a built up FOB on a flag gets over run sooner or later. Especially if the enemy team uses enough grenades , you loose a tonne of tickets without beeing able to really do something about it.

3 hours ago, Devon said:

Has pros and cons, sometimes its needed other times it can be absolutely brutal. Weigh up the options, make a call and know when to dig that shit up.

Just the other night the team decided to FOB up a Chora cp and use it as a staging post to push onward. The push was denied by the other team but the FOB held out for the win.

I stayed outside the compound and gave intel for approaching enemy. If you don't have eyes outside 9 times out of 10 it'll get overun. Just lobbing grenades over the walls is enough to keep the enemy out if you know where to throw them.

FOBs on CP can work but I hate it when SLs do it all the same.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

Just the other night the team decided to FOB up a Chora cp and use it as a staging post to push onward. The push was denied by the other team but the FOB held out for the win.

I stayed outside the compound and gave intel for approaching enemy. If you don't have eyes outside 9 times out of 10 it'll get overun. Just lobbing grenades over the walls is enough to keep the enemy out if you know where to throw them.

FOBs on CP can work but I hate it when SLs do it all the same.

I hear ya, I try and get at least one squad on over watch when fobs are put on cps. Eyes on the advance eyes on the defend position, move to either when required and try not to get ambushed on the way.

BTW the sounds of grenades being thrown into a locked up compound haunts me cos you know someone is catching that frag lol. One saving grace is if theyre doing it you can do it back and rearm from an ammo crate pretty rapid, it'll be intresting to see what happens when they introduce the ammo crate limit and resupply integers.

Godspeed and rock on

in the great words of  Jefferey "The Dude" Lebowski

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

FOB's on a flag can be a good or bad thing depending on the situation. If it's the last flag, I don't have a problem with it as long as the team heavily fortifies it.

Edited by Ghost Assassin

I don't want to encourage fobs on cp but to counter explosive attacks you can build 'baffles' inside the compound you've decided to fortify to limit the damage they do. It's a tactic I've seen used on insurgency maps to good effect and encourage their use to SLs who decide placing a fob on the cp is the way to go. 

I believe in the future buildable assets will take damage so it will be safer for attackers to remove them without having to get their shovels out to gain entry. 

2 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

-snip-

Now that's what we like to call a ticket sponge! That's a huge blow for their entire team, massive ticket loss and they might have lost the game only because of this one bad FOB and the people constantly spawning on it. 

NAJE0d0.png

Sure FOB must be on a FLAG! Your team mates are NOT GOING TO WALK 100m to the objective. Thank god we cant put FOBs on enemies face... 

Let's settle this once and for all. Let's have a 2 round event where Team A FOBs up (fortified or unfortified) a flag and Team B try's to take it. Then, on the next round, Team B doesn't FOB up the flag and Team A try's to take it.

Those who feel a FOB on the flag works, join Team A. Those who feel a FOB on the flag doesn't work, join Team B.

how bout this:

STOP MAKING RULES TO COVER ALL POSSIBILITIES!

Just stop it.

It makes the game boring.

If a fob is defended from within its radius capture it will fail most of the time, if it defended from a reasonable distance it can hold and can be both great fun and beneficial to the team in this case. If the fob is away from the objective it will not always be discovered as fast but could disappear at any moment as it is typically undefended. If the distance from the defensive line is too much it will be impossible to save it from loss. The key is to ensure the enemy is not aware of it OR is not able to approach it without the knowledge of the players who rely on it. Once discovered it should be moved or defended.

These are just general, more specifically a fob should not be placed where it will prevent the placement of a more tactically beneficial fob. If it is then the SL group need to be able to manage this effectively. Moving fobs can be very effective, I hope the logistics additions still make this a viable tactic. 

The variation of play in this game is what makes it exciting each time we play, with only a few maps it can be great fun trying to deal with a new situation, something as simple as access to a roof or cover in a road can change a game dramatically.

Or you can keep putting your undefended fobs in the same place every round...makes it easier for the winning team.

ps no I don't put fobs on flags and try to defend them. But I might drop a fob in any location if the team needs it. SL comms are the key to a win, ask your SL if you aren't sure.

FOBs on flags can, occasionally, very occasionally, work. More or less. As long as you don't lock yourself up in a compound and stay inside when you get attacked. If you have the majority of your defence hidden or roaming on the outside perimiters of the objective, it's very hard for enemies to surround and overrun it.

But even in those cases, it's usually far better to place the FOB at a short distance away from the objective.

Yea I agree that FOBs on flags can work so long as you're defending the terrain outside of the objective. However, you've gotta make sure you're better than the other team and that there are no gaps in the defence - 2 elements that you cannot guarantee. Therefore, FOBs on flags still doesn't work. Unless it's a team of experienced players defending it against a team of new players. 

Why don't we ever see FOBs on flags on Squad League matches? If it's such an advantage to put one on the flag, and there are situations where it works, why aren't the top tier players doing it?

On 4/18/2016 at 8:30 AM, 3e58i said:

@gunbattle In your experience, what situations make the "FOB on a flag" work? Why do you think it worked in some of the games you played?

generally speaking, a fob can be effective on a flag because you can have a major enemy presence on your flag as theyre trying to take it from you, but they may find it very difficult to take the flag because your team can reinforce very easily because your whole team can spawn literally on the flag with the fob being there while the other team however has to respawn some distance away which makes it harder for them to take.

also, with the fob on the flag (or very near to it), you can build ammo crates for grenades, rpgs, field dressings, 203/gp25, etc;  ladders for more firing point over walls and access to rooftops for better firing positions; and barriers which can limit the entrances into the flag area, creating a bottle neck or "funnel of death" where the other team can have a hard time penetrating and make a smaller defending force be able to defend against a larger attacking force, which can allow for a seperate squad to flank and maneuver while the other team bangs their head against the wall trying to cap the heavily defended and fortified flag.

and not losing the flag--even if your team is taking high casualties--means that your team wont lose the initiative and wont lose the points for losing the flag. 

this works better on certain flags (flag points in compounds, not open areas, in particular), and with a SL who knows how to build up an area (ammo, ladders, barriers) effectively; and of course is highly situational and does not always work

Edited by gunbattle