Davistator

WW2 in Squad Discussion

So, I have heard of WW2 mods in development for Squad and I know its early in the game for mods but I thought it was something to talk about. For me personally, one thing that makes squad a great game is really the sounds. I know its weird but hear me out. When you play other military simulations the weapons make more of a "bang" sound. In Squad they make a "pop" sound. Again, I know its weird but its one little thing that sells the game. So in some kind of WW2 mod, I want to be sitting in the woods on the Eastern Front with my K98 rifle and hear it echo through the trees when I shoot. Its those little things that make the game so much better. And a lot of people say " there is not enough weapon variation with WW2" but, there is. I mean you have  the Russians, Germans and Americans (with a few others) that all have their own weapons and vehicles. That is another thing to take into account, vehicles. Vehicles are a very broad topic. For this, only ground vehicles. There are so many vehicles in WW2 you could use. Probably mostly tanks and Jeeps of some sorts. Tigers, Shermans, Willy's Jeeps. So think about these things and talk about what you think about a WW2 mod and what it should include to really make it great. 

If you want to answer these questions:

What vehicles would make a WW2 mod really stand out to you?

What little details of the game would sell a WW2 mod?

There's so much talk about WW2 at the moment. As stated in 100 other places I'm leading a project to create a standalone WW2 game with elements similar to both RO2 and Squad. We've made a large effort to include vehicles in our Normandy theatre that were accurate to the actual battle and that have been underrepresented elsewhere. Vehicles like:

- Panthers

- Stug Assault Guns

- ARV Sherman Variants

- Sherman Calliopes

- Stuka Zu Fuss

- Nebelwerfer

- Puma Armoured Cars

Alongside the good old classics.

We've also made the decision to include different variants of the same vehicle. I.e.

Firefly Sherman (upgunned)

Sherman Calliope (for barrage)

ARV Sherman (for towing knocked out vehicles back for repairs)

Generic Sherman (not upgunned)

Yeah there is so many things you can do with a WW2 mod its overwhelming. Just one thing some games do is too many vehicles or not enough vehicles. It can be hard to balance that infantry to vehicle ratio sometimes.

Like I have said in the past, talking about WW2 mods for a game that hasn't even left early development yet strikes me as woefully premature. Having worked on a total conversion mod in the past (FH2) I can tell you it is years of work - something that is perhaps lost on many.

Honestly, I am not even sure if this is a general discussion topic - I dare say this should be in off-topic. But that is just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Jimieus said:

Like I have said in the past, talking about WW2 mods for a game that hasn't even left early development yet strikes me as woefully premature.

I know what you are saying. What I am trying to say is when the modding community is open, these are the things people may want to look for and what the people want.

FYI I know of several WW2 mods already in the works. Not going to name stuff really but just so you know :)

I just think there are some things that make Squad the kind of game that it is and I hope these mods still gave the Squad feeling, just in WW2.

5 hours ago, Jimieus said:

Like I have said in the past, talking about WW2 mods for a game that hasn't even left early development yet strikes me as woefully premature. Having worked on a total conversion mod in the past (FH2) I can tell you it is years of work - something that is perhaps lost on many.

I also don't think it really fits into general discussion, but yeah, it seems to be a hot topic right now again with everyone voicing opinions about it.

As one of the guys working on the Fallen Heroes mod, I know quite well that it's years of work, I've been working on quite some mods (and games) in the past, but the timing doesn't really strike me as premature to be honest. Why not start working on now on things that simply take time? Especially asset-wise there is so much content to create that a head start is simply the best way to do things.

Is it premature to say "we will include 50 tanks and 200 factions and add this and this and this feature" without knowing what the possibilities of the SDK are? (and even without vehicles in the base game) Yes, that really is premature, but that is something we are explicitely not doing, the plan is we are along for a long ride, not only as Squad players, but also as Squad modders, our mod will not only grow by itself but will also grow together with the base game. I think that's something great, especially when starting even on an "unfinished" game.

(I use "we" a lot in here, to talk about Fallen Heroes, if anyone's wondering)

Squad with WW2 mod would be my dream but I don't want it dumbed down to play like CoD, BF or the recently announced WW2 games like Battalion 1942. Games don't need gazillions of weapons, attachments and skins to be fun and engaging if the game play is done right. 

5 minutes ago, r0tzbua said:

I also don't think it really fits into general discussion, but yeah, it seems to be a hot topic right now again with everyone voicing opinions about it.

As one of the guys working on the Fallen Heroes mod, I know quite well that it's years of work, I've been working on quite some mods (and games) in the past, but the timing doesn't really strike me as premature to be honest. Why not start working on now on things that simply take time? Especially asset-wise there is so much content to create that a head start is simply the best way to do things.

Is it premature to say "we will include 50 tanks and 200 factions and add this and this and this feature" without knowing what the possibilities of the SDK are? Yes, that really is premature, but that is something we are explicitely not doing, the plan is we are along for a long ride, not only as Squad players, but also as Squad modders, our mod will not only grow by itself but will also grow together with the base game. I think that's something great, especially when starting even on an "unfinished" game.

Sorry, I think you might have misunderstood where I was coming from? I'm not saying don't get started! As you could imagine, at least 1+ years will be spent creating assets alone! My comments were more reflected towards players - not creators.

Having seen fans build hype waves in the past only to have them come crashing down when they finally realise just how long it will take for these mods to reach completion, I caution everyone getting excited to be wary of the inevitable burn-out these discussions bring.

Add to that that the game isn't even out of EA yet and we are already talking about total conversion mods in the general section - it just feels very off-topic (and maybe even a little inappropriate). But like I said, that's just my opinion o7

8 minutes ago, Jimieus said:

Sorry, I think you might have misunderstood where I was coming from? I'm not saying don't get started! As you could imagine, at least 1+ years will be spent creating assets alone! My comments were more reflected towards players - not creators.

Oh ok, yeah, totally misunderstood you there ;)

I agree that building total hype right around something like this is premature, these things take time, we have a roadmap right now, but this roadmap is built around outside factors that we have no influence on right now, so we'll make sure to tell people what to expect when we know more about things.

sorry to go ABIT off topic... however what i would really like to see is a  take on the Falklands conflict - the last conventional war. And since it took place in 1982, the brits were involved and they actually used the same weapon (FAL FN)... the need for work would be greatly decreased.

58 minutes ago, Shovely Joe said:

sorry to go ABIT off topic... however what i would really like to see is a  take on the Falklands conflict - the last conventional war. And since it took place in 1982, the brits were involved and they actually used the same weapon (FAL FN)... the need for work would be greatly decreased.

ABIT is a bit of an understatement lol but i agree Falklands is something i want to see, however the FN FAL is not the same weapon as the SLR they are very similar yes but not the same and they should be represented properly if done. also i might point out one similar weapon is not a greatly decreased work load in reality.

3 hours ago, r0tzbua said:

Oh ok, yeah, totally misunderstood you there ;)

I agree that building total hype right around something like this is premature, these things take time, we have a roadmap right now, but this roadmap is built around outside factors that we have no influence on right now, so we'll make sure to tell people what to expect when we know more about things.

Please don't take what I said as saying you shouldn't show progress - I enjoy your posts and wouldn't want the pretty images to stop coming :) o7

The thing is, I tired of the big name game developers making these games like Call of Duty, that don't listen to the people. But here is the thing, they don't listen to what the people are saying, they are listening to what the cash register is saying. I can prove this, for the last 3 years, Call of Duty has been making futuristic games that are way out of the way of what people want. If you look at the comments on these websites talking about Call of Duty, you can see people saying, " I just want the old Call of Duty back" or, " Where did WW2 go?" You see it all the time. But the people that want WW2 are buying the futuristic CoD's. While this is happening, the people at Activision are going, " These games are getting us a lot of money, lets make anther one." So really, the overall meaning of this discussion is, me and the people, want game developers and modders to listen to what the people want. And that is why I am glad to see you are making mods like Fallen Heros (which looks great!) are being made.

44 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

I left Call of Duty when they stopped dedicated servers. That's when the modding stopped as well.

literally the same. Stopped at World At War... which wasn't that bad really.

1 hour ago, trotskygrad said:

literally the same. Stopped at World At War... which wasn't that bad really.

I think it was around then it stopped being a PC game and was just a console port as they chased the money.

I enjoyed World at War as well. Although the campaign was typical CoD it was still that WW2 era that captures my interest.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I think it was around then it stopped being a PC game and was just a console port as they chased the money.

I enjoyed World at War as well. Although the campaign was typical CoD it was still that WW2 era that captures my interest.

it had better developed characters than earlier imo.

42 minutes ago, Captain_Spoon said:

Can we have a first person B-17 run plox?

you realise that's really really boring and B-17s were strategic not tactical assets?

59 minutes ago, Davistator said:

Is there any website or anywhere I can get info on your Fallen Heroes mod?

not yet, something's in the works though and sooner or later there will be more info about it ;)