Sign in to follow this  
YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

For When Tanks Come Out: Cars Shouldn't Stop Tanks

So I was driving around a Merkava in PR co-op, trying to get a feel for the game a little more (I'm a noob) and I was driving on this bridge, right? And then the side of my tank hits an old, burnt car. This car stops my 65-ton tank dead in it's tracks instead of doing this:

I don't know if it was a physics engine limitation or whatever, but you get the idea. I'm not saying there exactly be car crushing animation, but a car shouldn't be able to stop a tank. The least that can be done is that car can be pushed out of the way.

It's because those cars are placed as static objects in pr, which means they can't be moved. The reason why they have to do that is because bf2 had a networkable object limit of 1023 per map, which is quite low for 100 players. They can't change that because it is hard coded into the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

It's because those cars are placed as static objects in pr, which means they can't be moved. The reason why they have to do that is because bf2 had a networkable object limit of 1023 per map, which is quite low for 100 players. They can't change that because it is hard coded into the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it IS and engine limit...

Old engine limitations aside, I would be extremely surprised we were given the ability to crush cars when the game is 100% complete anyway. I imagine the amount of resources something like that would take up on 100 player servers would be staggering. 

Games like Battlefield work around this by having the tank smash smaller vehicles out of the way, seems to work fairly well from what I recall.

Edited by TotalEclipse

6 hours ago, Hunter_Sh0tz said:

WE GOT HIM TO PLAY PR!!!!!

Haha, not an easy task! Tried it with a couple of clan mates but they all kept complaining about controls and graphics *sigh*.

14 hours ago, sentienthaze said:

Haha, not an easy task! Tried it with a couple of clan mates but they all kept complaining about controls and graphics *sigh*.

Oh, that wasn't the issue. The ISSUE was installing the game without injecting the Chromium and Opera viruses into my PC. The next issue was not being able to join any squad mid-game...

If a sticky bomb can break tank tracks in the film Saving Private Ryan then a car filled with C4 should do the same no? :)

10 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

If a sticky bomb can break tank tracks in the film Saving Private Ryan then a car filled with C4 should do the same no? :)

What? Where did that come from? And also, depends. Some explosives have high heat output while others have large shockwaves.

We don't need beamNG.drive level car destruction here, just a static prop that changes if run over by a tank! Just add a little glass particulate and some dust that shoots up and voila! Could even be a similar effect to road blocks, where some vehicles will have more crushing power than others. That way blocking a road becomes a thing that can be beaten with a tank, like real life. But in addition to that I think it should require a minimum speed and inflict a speed penalty when driving over crushed objects. This would make it still possible to stop a tank through sheer volume.

For some reason when I hit edit it quotes my last post instead, it's not a missclick either as it happens most of the time on my phone. Oops I guess if it is my fault?