nickivan2270

3rd person mod and ww2 mod

66 posts in this topic
4 hours ago, nickivan2270 said:

@+++++ cool. still one thing though. What is the name of your project that you said you were making?

The title is called Hell Let Loose and we have a TM in progress, but we haven't yet worked on the SEO just yet.

7 hours ago, nickivan2270 said:

@+++++ do you guys have any teasers out or something? maybe some pictures or are you waiting on that?

A couple have been posted before in other threads (just little WIP shots) but here are some from the area I was working on last night. It's a small checkpoint and defensive line between Carentan and a farmstead. Our ethos on map design is to make it feel already battleworn and atmospheric, but with some pre-built defenses for players to take advantage of, expand on, or ignore entirely:

1CUOwZd.jpg

eDfoimg.jpg

In our official announcement we'll be including a video that shows the scope of the game and many areas of the first theater of war (one giant incredibly varied 4km square map of Caen and the surrounding countryside and villages).

We have already included:

- farms

- orchards

- churches

- 1 towns (more than 100 enterable buildings w/ shops and large apartments)

- 8 villages

- hamlets 

- bridge and riverside modelled on Ramelle/Paris

- wheat fields

- beech forests

- pine forests

- flooded fields

- graveyards

- fortified hill positions

- bomb holes and fields reminiscent of Verdun (the game)

- culverts

- 4 types of bridge

We plan to work up the rest of the map to feature industrial areas, electric power stations (a new feature for the Normandy landscape at the time) and to add to the total level of detail for all buildings (we aim to release with each building and room furnished). 

Edited by +++++

@+++++ When can we be seeing your "  official announcement" and is your site up yet? 

Edited by nickivan2270
mistake

On 5/7/2016 at 11:47 AM, nickivan2270 said:

@+++++ one last question. When can we be seeing your "  official announcement" and is your site up yet? 

Hey, the site is up but not public just yet. There are still some final touches to make to the media - in order to show the full breadth of the idea. We'll announce in a month or so.

On 2016/5/2 at 10:44 AM, +++++ said:

Hey, our game is related to Squad only in the fact that we are longtime PR and Squad players. We're not using any Squad infrastructure, it's just something that I figured the Squad community would like. 

Rotzbua is leading the Squad WW2 mod team (called Fallen Heroes). His project is entirely seperate to ours. His is using the Squad infrastructure.

Our website is up and running but not launched yet. We're trying to lock in some of the business details before we launch to make sure the dev team is all on the same page and the paperwork supports long term development. 

It will be standalone and it will be a single purchase price. We're toying with the idea of allowing players to buy purely cosmetic additions to characters (we're talking all based on photo reference) but that's a long way in the future. There's an obvious question of how to create residual revenue so that we can afford to continue developing the title for a long time (3+ years).

It looks promising but there's one thing I don't get. The Squad devs had to write the net code themselves so what are you guys going to do to get vehicles in the game? Will you write your own code and buy it from the Squad devs?

On 5/16/2016 at 3:18 PM, fatalsushi said:

It looks promising but there's one thing I don't get. The Squad devs had to write the net code themselves so what are you guys going to do to get vehicles in the game? Will you write your own code and buy it from the Squad devs?

I'm not too sure what issue the Squad guys had with the netcode around vehicles but I'm sure we'll encounter something similar on testing at full server capacity. To my knowledge, the server side netcoding  for their vehicles was creating too much traffic to field anywhere near the promised 100 players. Actually replicating vehicles and players in UE is incredibly easy, however the harder part comes around balancing all the traffic. 

Currently we're leaving the heavy lifting on the visual side to the client while movement, position and rotation/elevation are serverside. Obviously, we may encounter the same issue they did, but programmers and dev teams often come at issues from different perspectives, goals and methodologies. So far we haven't found any glaring issues. 

15 hours ago, +++++ said:

I'm not too sure what issue the Squad guys had with the netcode around vehicles but I'm sure we'll encounter something similar on testing at full server capacity. To my knowledge, the server side netcoding  for their vehicles was creating too much traffic to field anywhere near the promised 100 players. Actually replicating vehicles and players in UE is incredibly easy, however the harder part comes around balancing all the traffic. 

Currently we're leaving the heavy lifting on the visual side to the client while movement, position and rotation/elevation are serverside. Obviously, we may encounter the same issue they did, but programmers and dev teams often come at issues from different perspectives, goals and methodologies. So far we haven't found any glaring issues. 

how many players per server are you aiming for?

3 hours ago, Zeno965 said:

how many players per server are you aiming for?

We're aiming for 50 vs 50. A large design challenge for us is scaling the focal points of the map to the server player population (so that the battles feel suitably big even with 20 vs 20).

7 hours ago, +++++ said:

We're aiming for 50 vs 50. A large design challenge for us is scaling the focal points of the map to the server player population (so that the battles feel suitably big even with 20 vs 20).

And you feel confident that vehicles will work nicely with 50v50?

15 hours ago, Zeno965 said:

And you feel confident that vehicles will work nicely with 50v50?

Yes, I do. PR managed to do great and relatively stable vehicle gameplay with 120 players (albeit on an older engine - which is both good and bad for us). A huge tenet of our game design is towards increasing player count to create large-scale battles.

The basic idea behind it is you leave all the heavy graphical stuff to the client (track simulations and undulations etc.) and give all the basic info (that is transmitted anyway for the player) like rotation, elevation, position, ammo, health to server side. Theoretically, a vehicle is just 2-3 players except sharing a same "position", with levels of complexity between (different elevations depending on driver vs gunner vs commander). Like I said, there could be something funky going on in UE that is causing high network traffic, or backend in the Squad code (I'm not sure how much they might have brought over from PR) or any of the other variables. We might find we run into exactly the same issue Squad has (though I'm not entirely sure what that is). 

I wasn't one of the programmers that implemented netmove, but from my understanding our issue was never that we generated too much traffic, but that by relying on the server for all moves you will experience rubberbanding almost immediately because of missing proper interpolation between server and clients, that is what our netmove code is actually addressing.