mazadu

Game breaking

As suggested, let's hold off on this discussion until we are further in the development phase. Is that okay?

All I hear is ....

"I am too cheap to buy a better GPU so please lets not push the technology of games so I can continue to play games at 80fps on low on a 1080p 60hz monitor."  

Get the fuck real.  Stop being so fucking cheap or find a new hobby.  Like tennis or some shit.  

Wow! Way to build a gaming community.

I have read about ark having problems too, our devs have made more  then one statement about it there is hope that the current UE 4 update may address.

2 hours ago, Lenrsmith said:

It has nothing to do with building the game community.  People shouldn't complain if they're playing on equipment 4 or 5 generations old.  I understand if you are financially restricted, that's a different issue.  I'm talking about the guy who just thinks all games should be made playable across the board.  That doesn't push innovation.  

2 hours ago, Lenrsmith said:

I have to agree with @Iron. This "gaming community" is a community that has to live with Moore's law. In tennis and most other hobbies, there's no Moore's law to deal with (it's not like tennis rackets get twice as powerful every year... you get what I mean). If you want to be a gamer, you have to deal with the incurred cost of a constantly improving technology.

That said, there has to be a balance struck between requiring users to have state-of-the-art graphics cards and letting the last year or two's cards perform well in-game. However, If someone  wants to play current-gen and has a 3+ year graphics card, they will have to decide whether the new games are worth the cost of new hardware. This discussion isn't new to Squad, it applies to every game, every year.

Sorry if we're getting too off-topic.

anyone that needs to turn shit down to topfrag/get kills.. notice the enemy is clearly at a mental handicap.. never had a problem with it at all.  to say people with potato's have an advantage means you have a potato in that cranium full dot stop 

Were arguing about hardware specs but we have no clue what the minimum and recommended specs will be when the games ready for official release they may change. This is EA the game can and will run crap/buggy on many peoples machines nothings optimised and even if if they are it's in early form requiring ongoing testing and tweaking.

Edited by Axle84

Wow. The issue with amd is not only known, it was identified by OWI themselves. They pinned it down. UE4 has problems because xaudio has problems which is a directx issue. That means that either microsoft or amd has to step in. Or, we patiently wait for UE4 to keep patching and hit the next directx level, hope OWI can pull some sound magic (I know they can) and expect next DX to have better support for amd when it comes to sound processing.

There are "fixes" circulating around for the FX chips, although these don't fix the problem they just gimp your game further. Hardly any sounds (maxchannels=32), Shitty frames during ALL firefights, not to mention we have to play in smaller servers because the problem intensifies itself past 50 players dramatically. Its frustrating when you need those frames to be effective and they aren't there - no settings will fix the problem, only help make it more managable.

The red side is having trouble - but the blue side isn't trying to understand the problem. at this point in development - who cares about shadow enforcement? We're just trying to get the amd guys some much needed fps, and as a fan of squad and an amd user I've all but quit trying - which i suspect is where alot of people stand. I'd say most have moved on and are sitting on the sideline waiting for this to be fixed so the red team can come in and whoop y'all intel/nvidia fans!

For the record my rig can run most shit fine.

M5A99FX PRO 2.0

AMD FX 8350 Blackie  @4.4GHZ

Corsair 1600 4x4gb

R9 270x 2GB

Thermaltake SP-850M

on a seagate platter

8 minutes ago, snoob said:

Wow. The issue with amd is not only known, it was identified by OWI themselves. They pinned it down. UE4 has problems because xaudio has problems which is a directx issue. That means that either microsoft or amd has to step in. Or, we patiently wait for UE4 to keep patching and hit the next directx level, hope OWI can pull some sound magic (I know they can) and expect next DX to have better support for amd when it comes to sound processing.

It's a UE4 problem, not directx, Microsoft or XAudio. Maybe it's connected to those but only UE4 is having these problems.

You would think having better equipment would be rewarded in pc gaming.

For example having higher settings would render players out a further distances. Why is it that setting everything to low always gives people an edge.

Why cant devs make it so higher specs = an edge.

43 minutes ago, gibonez said:

You would think having better equipment would be rewarded in pc gaming.

For example having higher settings would render players out a further distances. Why is it that setting everything to low always gives people an edge.

Why cant devs make it so higher specs = an edge.

Higher specs give many advantages. Better FPS = faster rendering of enemies as they come into view, faster response to your input as you react to what you see on your screen, smoother more consistent & predictable rendering of the game so that you can operate more naturally and react naturally to what you see on the screen. 

Rendering extra things, like shadows & foliage, have always taken more power. These extra things are the things that hide other players in the game so when you turn them down then the other players become more visible. 

Perhaps a system where as you turn down shadows and view distance other players at distance become translucent to some degree... as a sort of mitigating option. @Bruno_G @Z-trooper is this possible? Reasonable at all? 

mfw biggest opponent here is the AMD guy. So much surprise. Honestly, put Squad down and come back when your budget PC is supported fully. 

I think the fix here is rendering foliage at the same distance as player models at whatever the draw distance setting is. This should be maxed before quality of life improvements like AA or textures.

19 minutes ago, mazadu said:

mfw biggest opponent here is the AMD guy. So much surprise. Honestly, put Squad down and come back when your budget PC is supported fully. 

Or looking at the situation realistically, put SQUAD down and come back when the developers coding competency in UE4 greatly improves.

Pretty sure it's almost solely an issue with UE4 itself. Devs don't have a lot of power on how well the engine itself plays with AMD. They need to focus on server stability. There should not be a 100FPS disconnect between offline (the Range) and online (any server)

Not to come off dickish, but if it was solely an issue with UE4 itself...then there wouldn't be a need to completely rewrite the current animation system.  Doing that would have little impact, if the disconnect was mainly engine related.

Ue4 coding competency aside...

The sound issue will be solveable. AMD systems which suffer from it will have the option of a much reduced sound pallet which should completely  negate the bottlenecks. (Ie they will have a sounds quality switch in the options) There is some exciting sound threading stuff epic has done which will help as well but not to be released until 4.12 sadly. 

regarding the view distance scaling.. yes.. we could totally do that..  it's not much of a solution but it's doable. A better solution is to close the performance gap as much as possible and then prevent people from changing the ranges. 

For example we used to have a 1.0 - 0.4 range in foliage scaling. That has now made it's way up to 1.0 - 0.6 as the ability of the engine to handle the foliage has improved. 

My personal end goal would be 1:1 but we simply aren't there yet as we are all aware.

Optimization can't be our primary focus at the moment. It needs to be core systems.. then another optimization pass. 

4 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

The sound issue will be solveable. AMD systems which suffer from it will have the option of a much reduced sound pallet which should completely  negate the bottlenecks. (Ie they will have a sounds quality switch in the options) There is some exciting sound threading stuff epic has done which will help as well but not to be released until 4.12 sadly. 

regarding the view distance scaling.. yes.. we could totally do that..  it's not much of a solution but it's doable. A better solution is to close the performance gap as much as possible and then prevent people from changing the ranges. 

For example we used to have a 1.0 - 0.4 range in foliage scaling. That has now made it's way up to 1.0 - 0.6 as the ability of the engine to handle the foliage has improved. 

My personal end goal would be 1:1 but we simply aren't there yet as we are all aware.

Optimization can't be our primary focus at the moment. It needs to be core systems.. then another optimization pass. 

Actually, your focus should be immersive cannabis. Jussayin.

2 minutes ago, SSIXS said:

Not to come off dickish, but if it was solely an issue with UE4 itself...then there wouldn't be a need to completely rewrite the current animation system.  Doing that would have little impact, if the disconnect was mainly engine related.

Well the current animation system is meh anyway... Very little animation between stances, constantly ready position, jerky movements for some things, unbreakable animations(can't stop a gear item switch halfway through).. No vaulting (yes I know, dead horse...)   But hey, I came back to Squad from f*cking Division and its complete lacking in balanced gameplay. So there's that. 

4 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Yeah MY frames are fine, 45 minimum on max using a janky SLI profile for 2x 970's and an i7 4790k. And really the vast majority of non lolAMD users seem to be playing fine.  I just want to see these "league" players suddenly start sucking because they actually have to search for their targets. 

I was always thinking, add players in to the draw distance calculation. Or their fidelity and then remove nametags at the same distance so if they're going to engage blobs that stick out they need to at least verify if friend or foe or risk being kicked for TK'ing.