A Pacifist

Found A New Stutter Fix For AMD Users. Can People Post The Results Please?

Hey Guys,

Like many people, I have had countless performance problems with AMD. Even after trying the workarounds, I still had countless problems. After hearing that the developers knew that it was a sound problem, I started experimenting with removing certain audio files. After hours of taking out single files all over the game, I think I finally found a fix.

NOTE: This is kind of a last resort. I would suggest doing this only if you can't get good performance from other fixes.

NOTE: If you would rather watch this in video format, I made a video here:

Step One:

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Squad\Squad\Content\Audio

Explanation:

Here is one of the many location that files are stored for Unreal Engine 4. That is why they have the .uasset file extension. It this point you will want to make it so that the engine will not recognize certain files, thus not using them in the game.

Step Two:

Now you will want to take these files and rename them. Use the same name they have, and just add something to the end of the name. For me I would add Name. So, if a files was called "Audio", I would name it "Audio Name". Here is a picture showing the different files that you will want to add Name to.

NOTE: None of the files originally had name in the title.

Here is a image link: (It says my account can not upload picture, sorry for the inconvenience)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pu8dj4eionehf3/Picture%20One.png?dl=0

After performing these changes, I have never had my framerates drop below 20. It is normally around 45, but 72 player servers with a lot of people drops it down.

This is my build:

AMD FX-8320 (Overclocked to 4.0GHZ)

R9 270

8GB of DDR3 RAM.

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 (MOBO)

After this, the game will sound pretty weird. Reload sounds can be heard a lot, and there are not footsteps, bullet shell sounds, etc. To me, however, it was worth it.

If anyone is interested in what each files contains, I can make a list explaining what they each have.

Hope this help!

~Calvin

Edited by A Pacifist

I've added code in a-6.0 to have low and high quality audio settings, this will be unnecessary once Anders gets all of that work done.  FX-8320 and FX-8350 users will be able to just apply Low quality audio in the settings.

7 minutes ago, A Pacifist said:

Thanks! I respect you guys so much for being active in the community and working tirelessly.

Thanks for the investigation. 

all info is good info and helps us.

cheers!

So... When can we expect that audio quality slider eh? Or will that suck? I don't know. But as a player who plays CS with about 220 frames and can tell the difference between that and 120... This game is like a stutter fest. Not to the developers credit though, all props for that go to UE and their shit optimization. 

4 hours ago, Trancer said:

I've added code in a-6.0 to have low and high quality audio settings, this will be unnecessary once Anders gets all of that work done.  FX-8320 and FX-8350 users will be able to just apply Low quality audio in the settings.

How much worse will be Low quality audio from "normal" audio? And will the dev team continue working on optimizing "normal" audio quality for AMD users so that we can have good sounds to, without bad FPS?

Edited by leozjeee

25 minutes ago, leozjeee said:

How much worse will be Low quality audio from "normal" audio? And will the dev team continue working on optimizing "normal" audio quality for AMD users so that we can have good sounds to, without bad FPS?

i dont think it will actually be that bad.. the typical player wont notice. 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Lock said:

I will post a link to this thread in my post for new AMD performance tweaks. Hopefully this helps even more users, thanks man!

Thanks a million for the kind words.

6 hours ago, [HkD] Ethik said:

Looks like you've been working at this for a few days, nice job. 

Indeed I have. Now the game is finally playable, however.

Edited by A Pacifist

14 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

i dont think it will actually be that bad.. the typical player wont notice. 

The problem with nade explosion sound and fps drops after russian marksman gunfire are related the same amd problem right? I hear the marksman rifle fire sound clearly but it drops to 1fps afterwards as if its echo sound causing problem, don't know if game has echo mechanics though. I'm asking because I dont want to kill myself after amd update if it doesnt solve these. : ) 

Edited by lastpuritan

20 hours ago, leozjeee said:

The low quality node will include samples of me making pew pew pew and kaboom sounds, probably in 8-bit.

1 minute ago, Trancer said:

The low quality node will include samples of me making pew pew pew and kaboom sounds, probably in 8-bit.

Or better yet you just going making sounds with you mouth. Kinda like this:

You of course could have went into your sound card properties and turned down the sound sample bit rate, you can sample from 16bit 44100Hz to 24bit 19200Hz, takes like 5 seconds to do..

Initial play testing I was able to see that the stuttering from nearby enemies was completely eradicated along with the intermittent freezing I was experiencing.   This lead me to look at enemies like a dumbass as I wasn't used to being able to fluidly see opponents.   I've added this to the "things you can potentially do to increase performance" on reddit.  https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/456tq2/things_you_can_do_to_potentially_help_with/

3 hours ago, 1stLtREAPER said:

You of course could have went into your sound card properties and turned down the sound sample bit rate, you can sample from 16bit 44100Hz to 24bit 19200Hz, takes like 5 seconds to do..

Elaborate.

well i did get a preference increase. i went from a very unstable 5-15fps to a very unstable 15-30fps. 10/10 for the fact you have helped the community more than the actual devs.

Great Job Pacifist, for me this is no option because There are Sounds missing. When i use the Audiochannel fix and i turn it to 64 or below then i have a fps and stability boost to, but I turn it back because missing Sounds. Its lame if you are under fire and you Cant figure out wehre it came from.

Other ppl should can life/play with it, for me i Cant.

But good work.

9 hours ago, Jaghammer said:

Great Job Pacifist, for me this is no option because There are Sounds missing. When i use the Audiochannel fix and i turn it to 64 or below then i have a fps and stability boost to, but I turn it back because missing Sounds. Its lame if you are under fire and you Cant figure out wehre it came from.

Other ppl should can life/play with it, for me i Cant.

But good work.

Because renaming files fixed everything for me, IIRC I brought channels to 128.

13 hours ago, Pyjak said:

well i did get a preference increase. i went from a very unstable 5-15fps to a very unstable 15-30fps. 10/10 for the fact you have helped the community more than the actual devs.

Thanks for the kind words, but it's not fair to whammy the devs. They are trying hard and it is on Epic's end. I trust the devs and they are really hard working. Dayz, that's a different story ;).

Because renaming files fixed everything for me, IIRC I brought channels to 128.

But with your fix are Sounds missing to,

Or did i misunderdtood you?

well i would be a little nicer about the whole citation but as i see it now there focusing more on adding content then fixing the problems that are persistent. woo yeah we have new maps and guns and were adding vesicles, good job. many people still cant play the game due to problems that were there sense launch.  

But they've shown us new content like truesky, another netcode, Animation System, UE 4.11 that will fix bunch of Problems.

Lets hope there's no other things showing up with it. I have my Fingers crossed for us poor amd Users. :-)

11 hours ago, Jaghammer said:

But with your fix are Sounds missing to,

Or did i misunderdtood you?

Yes. Some sounds are missing like bullet shells, walking sounds, and walking through foliage. That is why I said it is kind of a last measure. :)