DeazyD

Will people hate me if I'm 13?

Age is no problem with me either after the other night, a Squeaker joined our squad... was a bit like uh oh!, well it turned out he was a brilliant medic and communicated with the rest of the squad like a champ.

I've had less problems with squeakers than I have with 20 something nitwits with stacks of chips on their shoulders in this game. Not that there's enough of those to be an issue. I find the community to be happily welcoming and mellow for the most part. 

As long as you do the job you're paid for :P

No seriously its not a problem if you play the game the way its meant to be played : teamplay, strategy, respect players and your SL ++, communicate +++.

Welcome to Squad !

Just bear a mic' and be disposed to listen and accept orders by your squad leader; try to stay together with your mates and play the objective... and the most important thing: have fun...;)

My advice is don't get baited.

Arseholes are ubiquitous unfortunately. If someone's giving you abuse then politely ask them to stop as its upsetting you. Failing that, ignore them. Usually they'll feel bad or get bored and stop. If they continue with any abuse then your squad lead should step in to help you out. The worst thing you can do really is stoop to their level and start flinging insults at each other. This aggrevates the situation with the potential for people to gang up on you. Just because that's human nature, nothing to do with the Sqyad community.

If I ever have a young guy on my squad getting undeservedly harassed, or anyone for that matter, I tell others to reign in their shit or they'll get kicked. They usually stop.

As others have said if you play the game how it's meant to be played, listen to your squad leader and take on board any advice given, you'll be fine.

The final thing I'd say is don't hog comms. No one likes people doing that.

All that said I don't think you'll have too much of an issue. Squad is a great game with a great community and I know if you take the plunge you'll have ball.

Ahh, I remember my 13th winter... Spent most of it on a fishing boat, freezing the marrows of my bones learning about system-survival taught and disguised as "natural rule," haha! I wondered too if people hated me, not because of age but other reasons, and it's a good question you pose. And when it comes to advice, I'd say that the best advice is to not listen to any advice. Find out for yourself. Doesn't mean you shouldn't hear it out, by all means do, can't figure out much if you don't hear it, but to follow them is a sure way to loose your own sight on things. That's a fact, not a suggestion. Now, I would say that you're too young for this game, but since you're here on the verge of deciding and I'm not one to tell you one way or the other, all I can say is that young people are not stupid nor in need of being "taught a lesson". A mindset I'm sure you've already encountered. So, will people hate you for being thirteen? I don't know, some of us hate the most strangest of things for the even stranger reason, some don't. It'll be up to you to find out. And for that, if I may suggest, you should listen, really listen, to both those whom may hate you and those whom may not. You'll be surprised to discover whether it is you somebody hates, or themselves. Try it out and you'll see what I mean.

...knowing the internet, dont be surprised when you get kick out of the game simple because of your voice.

welcome to squad but one thing is weird isnt there any age ratings on the games anymore just asking because cant find any ratings

30 minutes ago, Frosty2 said:

welcome to squad but one thing is weird isnt there any age ratings on the games anymore just asking because cant find any ratings

They dont matter whatsoever anymore. Any 10 year old can walk into a EB Games and pick up Grand Theft Auto no questions asked. ESRB and Pegi and the like have zero regulatory control aside from a small logo.

And on topic, just make sure you do everything your squad leader tells you to do, and never join squad 1, ever.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

Have you seen the film Big?  This 12 year old kid wished he was 30 and the next day he woke up looking like this guy!  Ha ha...just kidding!  But good film with Tom Hanks.

rr14.jpg

On 4/6/2016 at 9:50 PM, DeazyD said:

I haven't downloaded Squad, but a big concern has come up that could affect my decision. I'm 13 so they'll think I'm not a team player and a squeaker. I'm not sure if people would allow me into squads, because I know how squads pretty much make up the entire game. I'd say I'm mature and really like to get involved with helping my team. As well I am uncomfortable when talking to guys older then me because I don't know how they will react. 

Any advice would be appreciated and maybe even friend request so if I did decide to get the game I can have a squad. :)   

This ain't CoD, people will usually give you respek as long as you deserve it.

Would be really cool if one of you experienced guys jumped in a said you would be willing to mentor the young lad?

Sounds like he's pretty switched on for his age. Wouldn't you agree?

Youth is the future chaps. Help the lad out!

4 hours ago, BuLL said:

Would be really cool if one of you experienced guys jumped in a said you would be willing to mentor the young lad?

Sounds like he's pretty switched on for his age. Wouldn't you agree?

Youth is the future chaps. Help the lad out!

It´s really hard to guess which country you are from.... :D

11 hours ago, Frosty2 said:

one thing is weird isnt there any age ratings on the games anymore just asking because cant find any ratings

As far as I know, no early access or beta game has it. They need to be fully released for ESRB or similar company to evaluate the game from what I've seen.

2 hours ago, koschilein said:

What do you want? Tea & medals mate.

:P

Pointing out the unpopular opinion that Squad or FPS games in generell are probably not for 13 year old. 

Other than that general fact, I do not see any problems. 

15 minutes ago, Quatsch said:

Pointing out the unpopular opinion that Squad or FPS games in generell are probably not for 13 year old. 

Really????  I dont think that way at all and wonder why you and others would think that.

59 minutes ago, Quatsch said:

Since when? I started playing the original Call Of Duty games (when they were still good and WW2 ranked supreme!) among other games around 12. Of course online multiplayer wasn't really available for me but so what? Teach them how to play and how to be tactical. Now is the time to start training the squad leaders of the future ;)

PS: Not saying that that's your opinion, I know that generally people don't like younger players in online games, but that's just because they don't know how to teach and be tolerant of new players :)

1 hour ago, -Steve- said:

Really????  I dont think that way at all and wonder why you and others would think that.

I was just pointing it out, not sharing it. I do however think that certain games should not be played by people who are to young (just not entire genre's of games like in the sentence I made above). If you are asking why, my reasoning behind it is very different from many other people. Many people claim that certain games will turn young people violent, which according to the studies I saw is wrong. It is more of a feeling for me that certain things are simply made for certain audiences and should not be consumed by people that fall into a younger demografic. For me it is about unlocking privileges (and responsibilities) when you grow up, one of these privileges beeing that you are allowed to consume new media (among things like beeing allowed to drink/drive/vote and so on). When children are old enough should be left to the parents, in case of media consumption and more harmless stuff and to society for things  that can have very real consequences: consumption of drugs, drivers licenses and so on.

EDIT: In this case I am not his father, so as long as his parents allow him to play Squad I could not care less. (And no, I of course I do not demand to speak with parents when I meet someone who I think could be underage online.) 

EDIT 2: That was a bit all over the place, I hope it is still possiable to somehow understand what I mean. 

Edited by Quatsch

Thats fine, the statement just caused me to sit back and think about it for a bit.  I found with my own kids when they were growing up that playing these shoot'm up games was actually a good time for them to learn about violence in real life in a safe environment.  By playing the game(s) with them I had the opportunity to impress upon them the horrors of real life events and that what they were doing in the virtual world had ramifications that could never be undone in real life.  Though one of the boys did grow up to serve a year in Afghanistan.  Going over he already had the mindset that life is not cheap and to only shoot when threatened or ordered.  So I guess the early exposure to the realities of the real world via the gaming world had some merit.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic so I leave it at this. :)

On 7/22/2016 at 7:39 AM, koschilein said:

I`m originally from a country within England called Yorkshire. hehe. Mexborough to be precise... Mining country.

I started playing PR a lot more at around 14, technically i started a lot before that but there wasn't many people and i had to go to an internet cafe, it was a super supportive community, however that was 10 years ago. God time flies, and as you can see i'm still here. Basically if you get in a squad and are respective and at least make an effort to ask the right questions, do what squadleader says , and do your best to make the environment friendly , teamwork will blossom and people won't care about your age.
However,  even if you do everything right, you can still fail, thats one life lession you are bound to find out at some point. You WILL run in to squadleaders and players that are complete douchebags, so do not take things personally. although these are not very common. Most of the community is just normal people.