DeazyD

Will people hate me if I'm 13?

I haven't downloaded Squad, but a big concern has come up that could affect my decision. I'm 13 so they'll think I'm not a team player and a squeaker. I'm not sure if people would allow me into squads, because I know how squads pretty much make up the entire game. I'd say I'm mature and really like to get involved with helping my team. As well I am uncomfortable when talking to guys older then me because I don't know how they will react. 

Any advice would be appreciated and maybe even friend request so if I did decide to get the game I can have a squad. :)   

if you play the game the way it was meant to be played most people have no problem.
I've played with a bunch of 14-15 year olds. as long as they take orders, communicate effectively and don't act like an asshat I'm good.

I've had 18 year olds that get baked and act like ass hats thats I'd rather kick out of my squad then a 13 year old squeeker following the rules.

Hi DeazyD, 

If you enjoy team play and listen to your SL you should not have any issues mate. The biggest thing when first starting out with this game is just soaking in as much information as you can. While the manual may be a little outdated (Patches can change a lot at this stage of development) you'll be able to gain a solid understanding of the game modes, basic game mechanics and what the objectives look like.

You may cop a little flack from some twats for being a youngin' but just ignore it mate. IF it does even happen it will just show you the players you want to avoid! Keep in mind though, If you begin to argue / insult / lone wolf / ignore orders then you may encounter some hostility from the player base.

Hope to see you on the battle ground mate! Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

I'm also not sure how I would introduce myself when I first start talking in a squad?

1 minute ago, DeazyD said:

I'm also not sure how I would introduce myself when I first start talking in a squad?

just let them know "Sorry I'm new, is there any specific kit you would like me to pick?"

hopefully they will get the hint and tell you to just go Automatic rifleman or normal rifleman, one of the easier roles.
just ask questions, if they are a good SL they will gladly help you learn, if they are an asshat you can share your experience here onso we know whats up ;)

I don't see a problem with your age, however please note that many units have a minimum age allowed.

I'm sure you'll be just fine. You have the initiative to want to work with a team already, in my opinion that's all that matters. There'll always be douchebags because it's the internet. I've come across grown men who go full internet tough guy.. "get out of my face" kinda stuff. 

You can simply introduce yourself by just sayin' hello. SuicidalChair also makes a good point, asking what role to take doesn't hurt either.

As long as you never show your chain you're good! Welcome to Squad.

Edited by [HkD] Ethik

Basically if your voice hasn't broken yet, you will find a lot of people that discriminate against you (regardless of the game, this one included). That being said, there is also a good portion of this community that actually know how to act like adults and won't discriminate against you if you play like a regular squad player. There are a few hints that I can give you that will reduce any annoyances you will cause your squad mates (and thus have them start talking crap to you).

• Communication is important, but keep it concise. 
  • Stick to your squad leader, don't fall behind. Constantly check your map so you know where the friendlies are, and so you don't shoot them. Nothing makes a worse first impression than gunning down your squad's medic. 
  • While in combat, don't tell your squad things that won't help them. This you only can really learn by experience but it's the difference of:
    • BAD: "Ugh I'm down"
    • GOOD: "Squad-leader, two enemies flanking on your north side, they took me out, watch your north"
    • GOOD: "Two enemies north!"
  • When asking for a medic, for the LOVE OF EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL IN THIS WORLD, don't just go "MEdiIIIcCCc", it is throughly unhelpful. 
    • If the firefight is ongoing, just shut up and wait a few seconds, but let your squad know any relevant any info like in the previous bullet point
    • Once the shooting dies down, check the map and see if the medics are still alive. If so, call the name of the one closest to you, and tell him relative to his position where you are down. He will acknowledge and come to you. If he doesn't react, wait about 20 seconds and tell him one more time, or tell the other medic the same info. If you still get no response, ask the SL if you should give up and respawn. 
  • If someone starts being a dickhead to you, don't get riled up and show that it bothers you. Depending on how bad they are being, I suggest one of two things:
    • Say: "Can we just play the game?"
    • Or leave the squad and find another one. There are a lot of decent people out there, but you have to wade through a lot of crap to find them. It's like how girls have to approach dating. 
  • Take the advice of those that posted in this thread. 

Edit: I should also point out that you are welcome in my squad at any time, however due to your age and my work schedule and the fact that you probably don't live in the GMT +9 timezone, I doubt you will ever be online at the same time as me. 

Edited by Psyrus

1 hour ago, DeazyD said:

I haven't downloaded Squad, but a big concern has come up that could affect my decision. I'm 13 so they'll think I'm not a team player and a squeaker. I'm not sure if people would allow me into squads, because I know how squads pretty much make up the entire game. I'd say I'm mature and really like to get involved with helping my team. As well I am uncomfortable when talking to guys older then me because I don't know how they will react. 

Any advice would be appreciated and maybe even friend request so if I did decide to get the game I can have a squad. :)   

lmao is that even a legit question. i mean yeah if you just like stick to the way the game needs to be played and not act like a raging punk and stick to tactics & proper communication then your good!

1 minute ago, Bauer24x said:

lmao is that even a legit question. i mean yeah if you just like stick to the way the game needs to be played and not act like a raging punk and stick to tactics & proper communication then your good!

yeah, I know of a few guys (not in squad, but on xbox) that will straight up kick you out of the party if your a squeaker, even if your a good player and dont act like a fool. 

Some people, for some reason that is beyond me, do not like 'squeakers'. They probably think they're immature, or something - and they are to some extent, but that doesnt mean they can't play cooperatively. I can't say it bothers me at all.

There will be some people you run into that are mean to you; ignore this, stay constructive, prove them wrong. Pick another squad or go to another server if for some reason your squad leader cannot cope with a cooperative 13 year old; that would be their weakness.

It does help to know that 'casual fun banter' is better done in local voice chat than in squad radio chat, if squad radio becomes clogged. For 13 year olds, in general, that counts double; because they don't always realize how much they're talking about things that are not important to the rest of the squad, and because their voice frankly annoys one or two players.

I'd say get the game, be constructive and kind, don't talk unimportant stuff in Squad chat TOO much if you notice other players ask you to shut up (don't shut up, just switch to local, or kiep it brief and relevant - 2 enemies 330 close!). Add people you liked playing with on steam, so you can hook up with them more often. Don't be put off by players that can't be cooperated with; I'm 29, and non-cooperating players are not a rarity, asshats are sortof rare... Just work around them. I'll take a cooperative 13 year old over a random without a mic any day of the week, because at least I know I'll be able to cooperate.

Make sure you have the right version of windows, though. (you need a 64-bit version of windows.)

4 hours ago, DeazyD said:

As well I am uncomfortable when talking to guys older then me because I don't know how they will react.  

Who knows it? Why care about it?

3 hours ago, DeazyD said:

"Hey guys!", "Hello there!", "Moshimoshi!", "Privet!", ...

If you don't care about the money, you should buy it and check out what happens. You say you are mature with 13 years. How can you decide, that you are mature with 13 (i thought also I was mature with 13...well...now I know I wasn't).

In my opinion: you are to young.

I think that if you start of by greeting everyone, making clear that you are new and eager to learn, you should be good to go mate. Anyone with that attitude is allways welcome in my squad :)

^^ l think you'll find these guys speak like the majority of people that play Squad. They're mostly a different breed of player to those you'll find in lesser games.

Teamplay and you'll have no problem being accepted into most squads. Just don't get to excited and squeak to much :P. Play it cool and give meaningful comms is key. Once you've got some in-game experience I would refrain from telling people what they need to be doing but by all means make 'suggestions'. Not many mature players will like being told but if your suggestion is good they'll be able to tell you know what you're doing. It would take nothing less than a very competent 13yr old to successfully SL. If you can be that guy then I am sure many would be happy to play with you as their SL.

You might be unlucky and find a few ass hats but that's just how the world works unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Psyrus said:
  • When asking for a medic, for the LOVE OF EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL IN THIS WORLD, don't just go "MEdiIIIcCCc", it is throughly unhelpful.

But it's so immmerrrrrssssivvvveeeee :D

"Will people hate me"

Hate? Think that's a bit strong.

Will people be hesitant when they hear you? Yes. That is the nature of a mature community. We will be hesitant of someone who is obviously a lot younger than the rest of the crowd based on prior experience. You can't stop that and you can't change that.

I had a medic in my squad the other day, no older than 14. When I asked the medics to introduce themselves, I heard this kid and thought "shit".  But I am not one to make judgements, so we went along and he did a damn good job (although had to be told to stop cluttering comms with useless shit).

As people have suggested, don't put yourself down from the start. Go into the squad, pick up your role and play the squad way. My only advice to young players, don't clutter the comms. Nearly all young players I have met seem to try too hard with their communication. Trying to hit a standard. There's no need. Call your contacts, where they are and how far. That is a start.

It won't take you long to pick the rest of it up.

My advice would be to stay clear of certain servers. As you will instantly come across griefers. Stick with the clan servers such as exodus, RIP, BVAR, 303rd, 3mob etc etc.

Good luck. Hopefully see you on out in the fields

Welcome here buddy 

Dont worry about that. More players in your age are there. 

How to introduce yourself ? Just say " Hi " 

Some peoples chuckle but dont care about them. Most of players totally respect others and dont care about how old u are. 

See you at field ! :) 

Even this dude is accepted as long as the teamwork is getting contribution.

Dog-using-computer.jpg

1 hour ago, bilsantu said:

Even this dude is accepted as long as the teamwork is getting contribution.

Dog-using-computer.jpg

Is he QAing the v6 UI?

Age to me is not a big deal, what is a big deal is people screaming down the mic pointless info and constant chatter, and all ages do that. Use local chat a lot to talk to people nearby in a firefight and keep squad comms open for vital info. I use squad comms to call a contact if i'm the first to see them, or to relay vital information like a flanking enemy. The rest I do in local chat. Not everyone will agree with me, but when I'm SL, I like to keep the squad comms clear of chatter. Once the contact has been called and bearings given, numbers and distance, then the only thing I want to hear is medics coordinating, and flanking enemy positions. 9 people talking at once is a nightmare. I have never been in the armed forces, but I guessing everyone is not talking over comms all the time?