I searched the forums for this but couldn't find anything.

Now these ideas kinda come from ARMA/Tactical Battlefield, so I'm not sure if they can be done.

I was thinking that if you are talking on Squad Chat/Squad Leader Chat, it should ALSO be heard on Local. Local could still be a separate channel, but the reasons for this are that if you go down, and you call for a medic on Squad Chat, and you are in the immediate vicinity they won't necessarily have to ask you to "call out on local". Also, I think it would help a lot with communication with teammates who aren't in your squad. For example, if you're in a firefight and you call out contacts on Squad Chat, of course your squad mates can hear you, but say there's other teammates around you, they would have no clue. The same would go for if you call out for medic on Squad Chat but there's medics around in other squads. I think it would better communication with the team as a whole. That way everyone around you could know what's going on, i.e. where contacts are, who's building what, who needs a medic, etc..

My next idea is a way to reduce chat clutter, (even though my first idea kinda added some, I don't think it'll be that bad). If you are a Squad Leader and another SL is talking on the Leader Chat, it should be heard mono through one side (one ear), with some more radio filter to sound like it's actually coming from a radio, mostly for a "realistic effect". Not only that, but the volume of everyone else in your squad should be lowered a bit, so that you can hear them better. (I know with 9 people talking plus other SLs talking it can get kinda hectic). That same volume feature could also be used if you are a soldier in a squad and your SL is talking. Everyone else's volume would be lowered so that you can hear what your orders are.

Bonus idea: If you are very close to your SL (~5m maybe?), you can faintly hear what other SLs are saying through his radio. This way you can kind of get an idea of what the rest of the team is doing. (Plus your SL won't sound crazy like he's talking to himself when he's talking in Lead Chat b/c you can hear it on local)

I think you should have 2 options:

1: Set other Squad Leaders voip to one ear and your squad to the other, local using both ears.

2: Being able to your options choose whether the squad leader has priority speaker over members in your squad. (when a member is talk and then the squad leader talks at the same time the members voice lowers and SLs voice appears louder) BUT this should only be an option to turn on / off.

3 minutes ago, ChanceBrahh said:

2: Being able to your options choose whether the squad leader has priority speaker over members in your squad. (when a member is talk and then the squad leader talks at the same time the members voice lowers and SLs voice appears louder) BUT this should only be an option to turn on / off.

Oh so the SL can choose that setting for his whole squad? Or is it done on a player-by-player basis? I would say the former has value while the latter would not

No i think you as a member of the squad would choose in your settings to turn on/off whenever the ability to hear the SL over other members in your squad, this option would only effect you

You could hear SL chat on local but like five meters local but it's gone after V4 or so. I miss it.

5 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

As a squad leader i think you should have 2 options:

1: Set other Squad Leaders voip to one ear and your squad to the other, local using both ears.

This suggestion would help people such as myself who have a hearing impairment. 

And yes local chat whilst you're on squad or commander comms would be great. When you're defending or attacking an objective with players in other squads, you need to let your squad know and the other squads know if you're throwing grenades, how many contacts you see, etc. I say it twice, once on Squad comms and once on local. 

47 minutes ago, Planetgong said:

When you can hear SLchannel and Squadchannel in local, there's no more need for a local channel at all.

What about when you want to talk just to the guy next to you, not pollute the whole squad's radio with your inane chatter about where the contact (relevant to just the two of you) might be?

Try to hit G + V + B together man. Than everyone can hear you discussing bout the weather or what you ate last dinner.  >:(

I find the voice chat good as it is now. Because I think the game must, despite of the fact that it should be as realistic as possible, be held easy and clear.

The learning curve in e.g. Arma is very high. In this game here it should be held flatter.

It's impossible that a newby gets in a game and first hears voice clutter on his ears.

And only if he sets in the game settings which voice channels he wants to hear on which ear (maths: 3 voice channels; 2 ears !? ) he can play the game well and understanding every channel clearly. And not everyone can play games sorting out the voices on the left and right ear clearly. That should not be an option.

Please don't understand Squad as super realistic MilSim. Then play Arma...

A few tips with the grenades:

• Just only say "Nate out" loud and clear in local voice chat. That will be enough for everyone in your vicinity to take cover.
  • If you want a concerted nate throw with your squad at a compound:
  1. You call out loud in local voice chat "Nate out", then wait a bit and throw your grenade. (Or simply give the command "NATES OUT!")
  2. Your squad members around you hear you calling out to throw the grenade in local voice chat.
  3. They will themself call it out loud in local voice chat too and throw their grenade.
  4. Other members of your squad further away from you will hear your squad members calling out and they will also do the same at their positions.
  5. Other team members get warned, that team mates throw grenades in the compound.

Final Result:

The game has everything built-in. You only have to use it.  :P

When you can hear SLchannel and Squadchannel in local, there's no more need for a local channel at all.

There is, because OP said ALSO i think That's cool, it imagine some more RL.

For example: if guy next to you hanging on phone u can hear him clearly and the opponent barely May be.

But if you want Talk to the guy next to you only u will never call him with Phone because he is next to you.

Don't get me wrong guys. I never said, i don't want a local chat anymore. I was just thinking about, if you can hear everything on local, there is no need for an extra channel. It's the opposite. I don't want to hear everything on local. I think it's pretty good the way it is now. I don't need to hear what SLs are talking about, if i'm not a SL. I hope my SL tells me the details, that i need. I ask him already, if i need something to know.

Thats the point... But imersion ;-)

On the Battlefield u wont hear evrything except when you are SLs shadow^^

9 hours ago, C-Money314 said:

I was thinking that if you are talking on Squad Chat/Squad Leader Chat, it should ALSO be heard on Local.

I forgot about this feature in modded ARMA, it definitely adds to the immersion - do agree with this.

16 hours ago, Planetgong said:

Don't get me wrong guys. I never said, i don't want a local chat anymore. I was just thinking about, if you can hear everything on local, there is no need for an extra channel. It's the opposite. I don't want to hear everything on local. I think it's pretty good the way it is now. I don't need to hear what SLs are talking about, if i'm not a SL. I hope my SL tells me the details, that i need. I ask him already, if i need something to know.

There will still be need for that extra channel b/c what if you want to talk to ONLY the person who is next to you? That Local Channel will allow you to do that without cluttering up the Squad Channel with information that might not be relevant to the rest of the squad. The reason for everything else to be heard in Local is so that people who are not in your squad can know what's going on, like calling out contacts, calling for medic, saying if you're moving up/falling back, etc. The Squad Leader Channel may not be necessary to be heard in local, it was just an idea, but squad chat may be.

17 hours ago, litrax said:

Try to hit G + V + B together man.

I've actually tried hitting local & squad together, didn't work lol :P

Edited by C-Money314

On 2016-04-05 at 8:44 PM, ChanceBrahh said:

I think you should have 2 options:

I don't know if you have ever used ACRE in Arma but that feature was beautiful. When you have a 343, 148 and 117 radio having the ability to put what radio you want either in your left ear, right ear or center was a godsend.

2 hours ago, Rybec said:

I don't know if you have ever used ACRE in Arma but that feature was beautiful. When you have a 343, 148 and 117 radio having the ability to put what radio you want either in your left ear, right ear or center was a godsend.

Task force radio had the same feature ;)

2 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

Task force radio had the same feature ;)

Ah, ACRE's little brother.

I used both acre and task force in arma 3 and i really preferred task force. At that time arma 3 was pretty young though maybe acre is better now, I only used that with the ace mod in arma 2 a lot! :o