Sign in to follow this  
Celt

Question: Altering military kit

Hypothetically (I don't want to get bogged down in the question of why) let's say you have a large force of American troops that want/need to change/alter their uniforms or use an alternative uniform from the currently issued ones they have. This would be for the purpose of distinguishing them from the standard uniform. How would/could this be done?

Would dyeing be an option/a way to go, would the uniforms have to be cut up and altered somehow? The objective is that at a distance you can tell they are not standard US troops.

I presume Syrian troops who left the government's army and rebelled had to do something similar; does anyone know how they distinguish themselves on the battlefield without having to scrap their original gear completely?

In an era long begone uniforms used bold/strong colours as a signifier, but in an era of camouflage I'm afraid I'm ignorant of how this would work out.

There is so much surplus gear floating about anyhow, having to dye your uniform would be a pretty extreme option. 

1 minute ago, Tim said:

There is so much surplus gear floating about anyhow, having to dye your uniform would be a pretty extreme option. 

I'm not really familiar with surplus gear. Is surplus gear essentially old army gear that's sold off and then resold by gun shops and the like? Or is it privately made gear made in the style of military uniforms but with alterations? Or a mix of both.