Hey all, this post is to AMD users, it's for CPUs primarily, but also GPUs. Obviously I cannot guarantee that these fixes will work for everybody, but hopefully somebody is able to squeeze out at least a few more frames. In this post, I will give an exhaustive list of all my relevant specs, settings, tweaks, and software information in an effort to help AMD users get as much more performance as possible.

First off; it IS possible for AMD CPU's to perform well with Squad! My current setup gets 50-60 FPS consistently with up to around 45 players on all maps. Even with smoke and heavy combat, I usually don't dip down lower than the high 30's-low 40's. This is with 1080p, Max Effects, max AA, 125% resolution scale, and max Post Processing, I can play with more than 45 players, but obviously performance suffers, but not too badly! I still get a consistent 35-40 FPS even with 60+ players and combat, but the lower dips in frames are longer and more frequent. While this isn't amazing, it beats the heck out of many of the horror stories I have been hearing. Some people with similar or even slightly better specs are saying that even on low population servers with lowest settings, they are barely able to get 30-35 FPS without even being in combat.If it is possible for me, then in principle, it is for others too, let's begin: 

(Thank you to Boxknife for the format of these specs).

System: 

• CPU: FX-8320 @4.6Ghz (CPU ratio is 23.0)

• GPU: Sapphire R9-390 Nitro 1100Mhz on the core (+100), 1500Mhz on the memory (default) Afterburner power use percent: +50% (Latest non-beta drivers)

• MB: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Bios version: 2501 x64 (04/07/2014)

• RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance @ 2133Mhz Timings: 11-11-11-28 (Voltage is auto)

• HDD: 1TB WD Black 7200 rpm

• Monitor: 1080p 60Hz Dell generic monitor.

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with all current updates. 
  • (There are two hotfixes that Microsoft has put out for the FX series of chips that can help with some performance issues, I have applied both and I would recommend you do too.) These are free for anybody, but you have to request Microsoft send them to you manually via email, however the action is automated and takes a few seconds at most, no signup or weirdness required. If you feel fishy about that, I will link to a Tek Syndicate forum post that has both files linked for download automatically. I think they are safe, but obviously, download at your own risk. Hotfix #2  Hotfix #1 Tek Syndicate Forum Post

• Power Supply: XFX Bronze 850 Watt.

In Game Settings: 

• Resolution: 1080p Fullscreen

• Vsync: On

• Res Scale: 125%

• AA: FXAA High

• View Distance: Epic

• Shadows: Low

• Shadow Quality: Off

• Shadow Res: 512

• AO: Off

• AO Levels: None

• AO Scale: 1.0

• Post Processing: Epic

• Eye Adapt: On

• Motion Blur: Off

• Lens Flair: Off

• Textures VRAM: 4GB+

• Effects: Epic

• FOV: 100

Radeon Control Center Settings:

• Version:16.3

• VSR: On

• GPU Scaling: Off

• Scaling Mode: Center

Squad Radeon Control Center Game Profile Settings:

• Anti-Aliasing Mode: Override application settings.

• Anti-aliasing Level: 8xEQ

• Anti-Aliasing Filter: Standard.

• Anti-Aliasing Method: Multisampling.

• Morphological Filtering: Off.

• Antisotropic Filtering Mode: Override application settings.

• Antisotropic Filtering Level: 16x

• Texture Filtering Quality: High.

• Surface Format Optimization: On.

• Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always on.

• OpenGL Triple Buffering: On.

• Shader Cache: AMD optimized.

• Tessellation Mode: AMD optimized.

• Frame Rate target Control: Disabled. 

Bios Settings:

(Note, Some of these settings may be different or not available depending on your mobo/hardware configuration.)

• CPU Basic Power Settings: Manual for the core voltage.

• Voltage: 1.440v (offset mode + 0.106250. All other voltages are auto.)

• Cool 'n' Quiet: Always Disabled 

• C1E: Disabled 

• SVM: Disabled

• Core C6 State: Disabled

• HPC Mode: Enabled

• Apm Master Mode: Disabled

• South Bridge Settings: HPEI: Enabled

• North Bridge Settings: IOMMU: Disabled
  • Initiate Graphic Adapter: PEG/PCI

• Core On/Off: CPU Core Activation: 5th Core - 8th Core Disabled

• Ram Other Timings: Everything else for my DRAM timings is auto. (PM me for specifics if needed.)

• DRAM Driving Control: Left everything on auto for my Mobo and RAM setup as well. (PM me for specifics if needed.)

• DIGI+ Power Control: Manual 

• CPU Load Line Calibration: Extreme

• CPU/NB Load Line Calibration: Extreme

• CPU Current Capability: 130%

• CPU/NB Current Capability: 130% 

• CPU Power Phase Control: Extreme

• CPU Voltage Frequency: Auto

• CPU Power Duty Control: Extreme

• CPU Power Response Control: Ultra Fast 

• CPU/NB Power Response Control: Ultra Fast

• CPU Power Thermal Control: 130

• DRAM Current Capability: 110%

• DRAM Voltage Frequency: 300

• DRAM Power Phase Control: Optimized

• HT Link Speed: 2600Mhz

• CPU/NB Speed: 2600Mhz

• PCIE Frequency: 110 (Default was 100)

• CPU Bus Frequency: 200

• CPU Ratio: 23.0

I also have applied some basic ini tweaks, I will link to the main post on Reddit to these various possible tweaks. Reddit Performance Post Sticky Here are the specifics of the ini tweaks that I have applied: Squad Forum Post for Performance Tweaks

• FX.MaxCPUParticlesPerEmitter=20
    FX.MaxGPUParticlesSpawnedPerFrame=0
    ShowFlag.Decals=0
    r.LightShafts=0

• MaxChannels=96 (Default 128)
    r.CustomDepth=0

[[email protected]]
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=3

[[email protected]]
r.Upscale.Quality=0

[[email protected]]
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=16                        
r.SceneColorFormat=1 

You will find the proper ini files to edit and all the exact details in the Squad forum post above, but for the sake of brevity; (I just used all the defaults that they had.)

Well that was a bunch to type, hopefully not too many people got bored, but more importantly, hopefully this helps some of you fellow AMD users out there to get respectable, or even just playable performance out of your CPU's and GPU's!

A big thanks to the readers/posters, and to the dev team for always keeping us in the loop and working on making our experience better every time!

PS: I probably made a mistake or two somewhere here. If you find any obvious errors, feel free to message me. I will be going over this post with a fine toothed comb again within an hour or so, possibly making some edits. I may also add some other details. 

New Content:

Special thanks to user, "A Pacifist" for posting this new thread. He posted some new audio tweaks that may help some more AMD users that are having frame issues. Check it out!

New Stutter Fix For AMD Users

Peace out everybody,

~Shadow

Edited by Shadow_Lock
Added Content

This is gonna help...

NetMove

NetMove, our generic networked movement system that we've built to support vehicle movement, is now functional. NetMove removes the heavy calculations from the clients and only requires the clients to calculate their own movement, not everyone elses as well.
So for the server and the clients you will see movement taking up less CPU. What about network? We have also optimized the network side. We group movements together, added interpolation and only send data when we need to on a client by client basis. Instead of the old system that sent data to all the clients all the time.

4 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

This is gonna help...

NetMove

NetMove, our generic networked movement system that we've built to support vehicle movement, is now functional. NetMove removes the heavy calculations from the clients and only requires the clients to calculate their own movement, not everyone elses as well.
So for the server and the clients you will see movement taking up less CPU. What about network? We have also optimized the network side. We group movements together, added interpolation and only send data when we need to on a client by client basis. Instead of the old system that sent data to all the clients all the time.

Yes it will, but I wanted to help people right now in the current state of the game. 

5 hours ago, Shadow_Lock said:

Yes it will, but I wanted to help people right now in the current state of the game. 

Indeed sir and we're thankful. 

Hopefully with the new Netmove update & animation system,this will  give AMD user's some new life.

Keep up the good work my man!

My brother did everything you put here and he now gets decent FPS, thanks. But for me; 

I literally did everything to increase my fps and fix the problem.

I removed the audio files, did ini tweaks, lowered game settings in nvidia control panel and in-game aswell, overclocked my cpu a bit more, re-install my gpu driver with a clean install, did extra bios settings, put startup preferences too. NOTHING HAPPENS. My normal fps is set to 60 when no one is around (sync was on, i'll switch it off) but when firefight starts it drops to 15-20. Random fps drops to 1 continues, sometimes when enemy fires at me, sometimes a nade? Good thing it doesn't drop to 1 anymore, it drops to 8... So I can actually shoot back with a bit of luck. But this is a COMBAT-GAME. I don't care if I'm getting 300 fps on ultra when I'm walking around, I need it to shoot people. 

I'm getting good FPS with other cpu heavy games. 150 FPS on CS:GO Ultra settings, 300 at low settings for example... A HUGE DEAD END HERE. Thanks for your help guys. 

4 hours ago, lastpuritan said:

My brother did everything you put here and he now gets decent FPS, thanks. But for me; 

First off, I'm glad it helped him get some better FPS! There is a thread that just got posted a little bit ago that I will link you to. It seemed to help some of the users and you could try it. New Stutter Fix for AMD Users 

In regards to your build, have you tried lowering the audio channel number further? Mine was lowered to 96 from 128, but some AMD users I've seen here have had to lower it down further to see an improvement, (like down to 32). Try that. Try turning off or down the effects in the in-game settings and see if that helps. My guess is it's an audio issue, as that seems to be the most common performance issue with AMD chips at the moment, (something to do with AMD's audio data processing I think).

Hopefully one of those works for you! And of course, please don't hesitate to Pm or post if it doesn't.

~Shadow

I will wait for AMD update, if it doesn't work that new fix will be last try. It ruins in game sounds so don't know if I want to play like that. 

Just now, lastpuritan said:

I will wait for AMD update, if it doesn't work that new fix will be last try. It ruins in game sounds so don't know if I want to play like that. 

It has been said that the normal user shouldn´t hear that much of a difference between "high" and "low" settings in sound in V6.

1 minute ago, koschilein said:

It has been said that the normal user shouldn´t hear that much of a difference between "high" and "low" settings in sound in V6.

I meant this fix, but yes. I prefer low quality audio instead of random reload sounds. :) : 

Edited by lastpuritan