Chuc

March 2016 Recap

RaTzo   

My signature used to say "Beers for Bruno & Ales for Anders!" Now I'd have to add "Cool Ones for Kory!" 

All of this is looking great. Those grenade explosions have gone well past cool & immersive effect and now they are down right convincing. Frack guys this is crazy! 

The world textures that you're working on!?!?! Yowzah! PM me if you need any photos from stuff out here on the East Coast of Canada. I'm a pro photographer and if it is here I can get you all the right angles properly exposed. 

Edited by RaTzo

Bruno   

My personal favourites are

- photogrammetry<3

- Seeing the vast landscape of Yehorivka

Edited by Bruno

20 minutes ago, Zenrique said:

Really amazing and exciting update!!

Have you guys measured how much NetMove may reduce network traffic and/or CPU load? Will it make a big difference for everyone or will it be more subtle for the players?

It helps quite a bit on CPU load actually.  Network traffic is unchanged mostly due to the fact we are using the same common sense traffic optimizations that Epic uses for the rest of the engine.  

As for CPU load, there are a number of movement tasks we can offload to the client and just check if they are valid on the server.  A good example is Gravity.  It's really easy to check if a vehicle has moved down due to gravity.  It's not so easy to move that vehicle and check for the floor, handle all the collision events, etc because of that Gravity move.  We can offload some of the movement tasks to the client and save server CPU cycles on computing those things.  Of course, if the player fails a bunch of validation checks, we can just switch back (dynamically) to the old method of just simulating it on the server.  Given that a vast majority of our players are clean from hacks and other things that would cause a validate fail, it saves a ton of server CPU work across the whole player base.  

Noxxid3   
1 minute ago, Spectral said:

OMG!!! WHERE IS VEHICLES!?!?!!!?!!!!!!!

Settle down Spectral, we know you are excited about the vehicles, but you need to let the devs do their job ;)

Further work has been done on the enormous task of set-dressing a map which is a total of 64km in size.

@devs, please do it correctly.. ;) Since km^2 seems to be out of reach, you could use " ..total of 64 square kilometers in size .." if it is 8 km multiplied by 8 km. :)

On other parts, +1.

13 minutes ago, Spectral said:

OMG!!! WHERE IS VEHICLES!?!?!!!?!!!!!!!

Here they are! :D

Edit: The video was a joke. Here they really are! ;)

Spoiler

83dbe962-686c-40bc-87aa-d15360686a54_zps

Edited by WarEagle751

So with the net move done is there anymore roadblocks stopping vehicles from being release or is there still more work to do like models and animations?

Chuc   

It's a matter of time and setting up systems in-engine so designers and artists can apply all the cosmetics like effects, animation and audio to really flesh a vehicle out. 

Brisk   
1 hour ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

@devs, please do it correctly.. ;) Since km^2 seems to be out of reach, you could use " ..total of 64 square kilometers in size .." if it is 8 km multiplied by 8 km. :)

On other parts, +1.

Just do 64km². It's a valid unicode character.

The grenade explosion particles look amazing, I'll sugest that when a grenade explode to make a small crater on the ground. That would be very sick!!! Anyway, great work!

3 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

Do any of these network optimizations improve the AMD situation at all???

I would assume it does. 

"NetMove removes the heavy calculations from the clients and only requires the clients to calculate their own movement, not everyone elses as well.
So for the server and the clients you will see movement taking up less CPU." 

WarFox89   

Omfg so amazing stuff is going on i just came twice on my keyboard while reading the monthly recap. You guys kick asses! I'm ultra hyped it's almost to perfect to be reality .... You guys just creating the perfect modern setting FPS ever made on planet earth.